title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

neilthecellist

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

neilthecellist

Why is there so much resent on the forums now? I went away to study for finals, I got into a fight with someone I used to think was special, and when I come back to these forums, I see two spam threads about "free stuff" DELETED PIC and this thread where this forum gets insulted....What is going on with people?
    Last edited by neilthecellist; 05-18-2005, 09:44 PM.
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: neilthecellist

please don't post to a thread unless you are contributing to finding a solution to the problem. the thread you posted this in http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7881 was already answered and doesn't need the type of response you gave it.

and please remove the link to the smiley that is linked to another forum. that is bad etiquette and i am sure the forum owner would not appreciate you using their icons and bandwidth in this manner.

as for the Spam, well spam is spam and comes and goes here all the time. perhaps you never noticed before?

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

I've never noticed a spam thread ever. But all of a sudden, I'm seeing it all over the place, not just here, but on the HaloUT Forums..

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

ok i see what your saying now. i think spam is always on the increase. on this forum there could be 5 spam posts that have been deleted between your visits here without you ever knowing.

there was a slow down of spam at one stage when new laws were introduced. but the spammers find a way to circumnavigate the laws and then the spam rises dramatically once again. you can read more here http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/index.lasso

i know i am mainly talking about email spam but i guess it effects online forums just as much. when there was no need for registration on this forum you could see a run of a hundred spam posts here. but when you have to register to spam it slows things down a bit :D
        Last edited by Spoons; 05-18-2005, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

For some packaged software like blogs from Word Press there are some add-on anti-spam patches like SpamKarma . I don't know if anything similar exists for forums, there should be.

Also in some guestbooks like Viper Guestbook you can turn on something which will render the attempts at spamming rather futile. If they spam because they want their links to get picked up by search engines, well, Viper makes sure that any links posted are in fact opened in Javascript pop-up windows which don't get spidered usually by search engine bots. Also optionally you can make the homepage url invisible but clickable. Spammers sort seem to know this and tend to stay away mostly from Viper Guestbooks. But still not often enough for my taste :vmad:

Comment

Working...

]]>