title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Recording Your Musical Instrument with Auxiliary Input

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craze
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Oct 2002

Recording Your Musical Instrument with Auxiliary Input

Here's some fun for all you musicians out there. You can make Auxiliary Input work for you to create basic solo tracks of your performance or even a mix with your favorite tunes.

Most electronic piano keyboards can be connected directly to your Line In jack easily with no problem from either the keyboards output or headphones jack. But what about other instruments?

I recently plugged in an electric guitar directly into one of my tape decks which I have plugged into my computers Line In jack. The deck supplies the preamplification you'll need to get a useable sound level. And you'll have to place the deck into the Record/pause mode to get some levels that you can output through to Auxiliary Input. Now proceed as you normally would.

Option 1.
    If you select the Line In slider on your Windows recording mixer, then you will be able to create a music file of you playing your (amplified) instrument.

Option 2.
    If you have an accoustic instrument, you might try using a microphone and the Mic slider to capture your performance. (A tape deck may be needed to aide in matching impedances for various mics. Use Option 1 if this is the case).

Option 3.
    You can create a mix of yourself playing along with your favorite artist or song by selecting slider #1 (called Stereo Mix on my Win98SE,...may be called something else depending upon your OS version and/or sound card).
    Remember that Auxiliary Input allows you to capture anything that you can hear on your computer. Unless you have muted the Mic or Line In slider from the Master Volume control, you should be able to play along with any song you play in dAP and hear both. (I guess you could probably sing along with a mic also).

Just cue up your song in dAP (turn off the EQ) and adjust your instruments level (and dAP's) to a satisfactory setting and record away! The file you create will be a new mix of the song playing from dAP and of you playing your instrument. Be careful with your levels here. Its easy to overdrive the signals with this slider which will result in unwanted cracks and pops.

This is just totally fun!

I stumbled onto this after trying to do the same thing using Audacity audio editor, using the Add a new Stereo Track option. The processing of recording a new (guitar) track while simultaneously playing the original file caused stutters and hesitations which makes it most difficult to keep correct tempo with your instrument. This may not be a problem on faster machines? Audacity does give you the ability to add some nice effects to liven up your instrument, plus pan, boost/cut, and mix. So its a nice freeware companion that gives total control of both files to be mixed.
    In my recording session, I overcame the stutters and hesitation by using Auxiliary Input to create my guitar track with Option 1 while playing the original file to be mixed from dAP. This has the benefit of keeping your tempo perfect with the original file that you intend to mix your instrument with. Now just Save your performance file.

Then open both up in Audacity and mix it down from there.

Hope this gives you some new ideas about what you can do with Auxiliary Input.

Keep having fun!

-Craze

• ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Recording Your Musical Instrument with Auxiliary Input

Here's an easy and fun (and free) program to create music as either midi tracks and/or audio tracks: http://www.anvilstudio.com/

The module that would allow a final audio mix down needs to be bought, but here's where dMC Auxiliary Input comes in very nicely. You play your recorded tracks from inside Anvil and record the stereo mix through dMC Auxiliary Input. It works great.

What Anvil also allows you to do besides composing your own midi tracks, is to modify existing midi files that you may get elsewhere.

I recently download a decent sounding midi file of a song, but on one of its tracks the choice of instrument was very poor. No problem, I loaded it into Anvil and picked a different instrument for it that gave a much nicer sound. Saved. Presto, a brand new superior version of the same song. You can speed it up, slow it down, transpose to a different key, whatever you want. You don't even need any knowledge of music as such.

You can make a karaoke soundtrack for your favorite song which you have just found as a midi file on the net, by removing the lead instrument(s) from the midi file (after you figure out which track it is, by elimination, of course), save it and record it to wav or mp3 using dMC Aux Input.

Endless possibilities.

Comment

• Craze
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Oct 2002

Good post Christina! Another great way to have fun using Auxiliary Input.

Comment

• Smoggy
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Craze
        Here's some fun for all you musicians out there. You can make Auxiliary Input work for you to create basic solo tracks of your performance or even a mix with your favorite tunes.

Most electronic piano keyboards can be connected directly to your Line In jack easily with no problem from either the keyboards output or headphones jack. But what about other instruments?

I recently plugged in an electric guitar directly into one of my tape decks which I have plugged into my computers Line In jack. The deck supplies the preamplification you'll need to get a useable sound level. And you'll have to place the deck into the Record/pause mode to get some levels that you can output through to Auxiliary Input. Now proceed as you normally would.

Option 1.
        If you select the Line In slider on your Windows recording mixer, then you will be able to create a music file of you playing your (amplified) instrument.

Option 2.
        If you have an accoustic instrument, you might try using a microphone and the Mic slider to capture your performance. (A tape deck may be needed to aide in matching impedances for various mics. Use Option 1 if this is the case).

Option 3.
        You can create a mix of yourself playing along with your favorite artist or song by selecting slider #1 (called Stereo Mix on my Win98SE,...may be called something else depending upon your OS version and/or sound card).
        Remember that Auxiliary Input allows you to capture anything that you can hear on your computer. Unless you have muted the Mic or Line In slider from the Master Volume control, you should be able to play along with any song you play in dAP and hear both. (I guess you could probably sing along with a mic also).

Just cue up your song in dAP (turn off the EQ) and adjust your instruments level (and dAP's) to a satisfactory setting and record away! The file you create will be a new mix of the song playing from dAP and of you playing your instrument. Be careful with your levels here. Its easy to overdrive the signals with this slider which will result in unwanted cracks and pops.

This is just totally fun!

I stumbled onto this after trying to do the same thing using Audacity audio editor, using the Add a new Stereo Track option. The processing of recording a new (guitar) track while simultaneously playing the original file caused stutters and hesitations which makes it most difficult to keep correct tempo with your instrument. This may not be a problem on faster machines? Audacity does give you the ability to add some nice effects to liven up your instrument, plus pan, boost/cut, and mix. So its a nice freeware companion that gives total control of both files to be mixed.
        In my recording session, I overcame the stutters and hesitation by using Auxiliary Input to create my guitar track with Option 1 while playing the original file to be mixed from dAP. This has the benefit of keeping your tempo perfect with the original file that you intend to mix your instrument with. Now just Save your performance file.

Then open both up in Audacity and mix it down from there.

Hope this gives you some new ideas about what you can do with Auxiliary Input.

Keep having fun!

-Craze

Option 4 You can spend 400 smackers on a DigitTech RPX400 digital effects processor :komisch7: with USB out and never use it like me! :D

There is also a Line6 USB interface for about $140.00 I hear is pretty good too.

Rock ON!

Comment

Working...

]]>