title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Any DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) Users in here?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaMarcus
    • Dec 2004

Any DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) Users in here?

Hey there,

since 1992 I own quite a few of those magic compac cassettes. O.k. I'm an audio maniac (It's part of my job;-). But does anyone use these strange soring formats as:

DAT - Digital audio Tape
    DCC - Digital Compac Cassette
    or even ol 19cm/s tapes?

Just give me a feedback:-)

For the technic freaks:
    DAT - Technics - the only one
    DAT II - Studer/Revox - rock'n roll!
    DCC - Phillips (the oroginal)
    DCC II - Panasonic (is what the label says;-)
    Tape: Nagra + Revox
  • MikeCerm
    • Feb 2005

Re: Any DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) Users in here?

Originally posted by DaMarcus
    DAT - Digital audio Tape
    DCC - Digital Compac Cassette
    or even ol 19cm/s tapes?
    The correct answer would be no, nobody uses those formats, or even knows what they are, and with good reason. DAT is highly unstable and prone to failure (as compared to CDs and DVDs). Studios that are stuck in the past are still using DAT, but if you're recording to a PC anyway (ProTools, Nuendo), there's never a reason to use DAT.

DCC was really a Philips competitor with Sony's Minidisc, and while the Minidisc did beat out DCC, even that never really caught on with anyone. Both were too expensive in their initial release, and neither really found a market before CD-R killed DCC in the late '90s. Minidisc has been kept alive by the Japanese market for tiny gadgets, though I will say that it's a good portable recording format (near DAT-quality, but 70% percent cheaper).

19cm/s, or 7 1/2 ips here in the States, is way, way obsolete! Time to pack it away with the 8-track, turntable, and the Betamax that you probably still use, based on your love of outdated and unpopular tape-formats!

Comment

• DaMarcus
      • Dec 2004

Hi Mike,

quite nice answer.

BUT;-)

DCC was killed too, for the codec of Phillips was not that efficient in comparism to the MD. But the spectrum was better.

DAT over here is even used in studios and by maniacs. I don't agree that Dat is higly full of faliures. It depends on how you treat the tapes. And what is even still great. DAT was the only uncompressed media for recording sth. digitallly. I don't think that the CD-R is better, but it's more common.

Last but not least 7 1/2ips still is very common in the radio biz, or for recording high quality non digital e.g. a whole orchestra.

Don't care about my betamax. Yes, I love these ol' formats. But there ist a new thing I explored. Guess it is called mp3. Seems to be brandnew.

Sorr, that I asked such a stupid uninteresting question in here :yawn:

Greez

M.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

DAT was, and still is (slightly different DLT) used for computer backups - they shouldn't be unreliable any more so than CD-R.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• noetude
          • Apr 2005

hello damarcus, I am bets, and I am in love with the DCC since 1992 and I am daccord with you of the suprematie readers dcc compared to MANDELEVIUM and autres.J' bought a DCC 900 one week ago, the problem it is that I do not have a sound after recording in spite of the reglages effectu
          carry out, that think about it is the this tete of reading? or are the cassette too encians and the worn bands? my greetings and keep your DCC. Bruno
          Originally posted by DaMarcus
          Hi Mike,

quite nice answer.

BUT;-)

DCC was killed too, for the codec of Phillips was not that efficient in comparism to the MD. But the spectrum was better.

DAT over here is even used in studios and by maniacs. I don't agree that Dat is higly full of faliures. It depends on how you treat the tapes. And what is even still great. DAT was the only uncompressed media for recording sth. digitallly. I don't think that the CD-R is better, but it's more common.

Last but not least 7 1/2ips still is very common in the radio biz, or for recording high quality non digital e.g. a whole orchestra.

Don't care about my betamax. Yes, I love these ol' formats. But there ist a new thing I explored. Guess it is called mp3. Seems to be brandnew.

Sorr, that I asked such a stupid uninteresting question in here :yawn:

Greez

M.

Comment

• DaMarcus
            • Dec 2004

Hi there,

wow da DCC900. Great - I started with this wonderfull machine on DCC in 1993. Its really good.

About your problem:

a) are you talking about analog or digital input!
            b) does the level meter react?
            c) you can check the recording by monitoring analog the input over the output plugs - is there sound?
            d) are you using a real DCCTape ore a modfied MC?
            e) after recording your tape is blank????

I guess it might be a faliure on the internal recording unit. Perhaps the heads on the recorder e.g. This is worse because nearly noone knows about repairing these units anymore and spare parts are hrdly to get.

Give me a feedback or contact me via mail - just leave out the blanks: ich @ dernetscher .de Ok????!

Greez

M.

P.S. If you are interested I could offer a portable Panasonic/Phillips DCC deck. Just a player - norecording. Works fine but the accumulation pack is dead.

Comment

• Petergordon
              • Aug 2017

I not only own a dcc 900 but also the Tuner, five CD player, Amplfier as a matching set and as it hapens am litening to CD, s right and was playing the DCC half an hour ago

Comment

• Petergordon
                • Aug 2017

Not only do I have the DCC 900 but also the Amplfier, RadioTuner and five CD player as a matching set and am listening to A DCC tape right now.
                Also I own a philips Reel to Reel tape deck 4500 with Radio Amplfier and matching Speakersall still working

Comment

Working...

]]>