title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

compressing audio to a cd

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bryanm
    • Jan 2005

compressing audio to a cd

Can anyone tell me if its possible to compress 300 minutes of audio to a standard CD-R (80 mins) It has to be able to play on a household CD player, Its straight audio so I am not to worried about loss of quality. I have compressed the file to a WAVE, WMA and ORG VORBIS on different occasions but when i try to burn it through ROXIO or WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER it decompresses it back to minutes which means 4 or 5 blank cd's are needed.

I have read somewhere that a DVD disc can be converted to CD format and maybe this will allow more audio to be stored on any single disc.

can anyone help?

thanks
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: compressing audio to a cd

to burn an audio cd it will have to be in minutes. but if your house audio player can play mp3's or wma then you need to create an mp3 type cd which is different to an audio cd. i have squashed up to 11 albums on a single cd.

Spoon has an 30 day trial cdwriter that can do this for you : http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cdwriter.htm

it's always best to test out the desired results on a CD-RW cd first though.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

DVD's may not be playable in regular cd players, even if ancoded similarly to audio cd's. An audio cd can only hold at most about 80 minutes of audio (actually a bit less because of overhead). Only newer cd players designed to play mp3's and other compressed audio formats can handle mp3 cd's (or other compressed formats), which is what you have to make if you want to put 5 hours on one cd. Otherwise it's going to have to be on 5 audio cd's.

Comment

• bryanm
        • Jan 2005

ok, thanks a lot

I guess i will just have to admit defeat and burn the 5 cd's

I appreciate your help

Comment

Working...

]]>