title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Extracting audio from an AVI

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Extracting audio from an AVI

Hi, it's Neil again...

um, I have a n00b question: How do I extract the audio from a .avi file? Is it possible to do this with dBpowerAMP?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Extracting audio from an AVI

Originally posted by neilthecellist
    Hi, it's Neil again...

um, I have a n00b question: How do I extract the audio from a .avi file? Is it possible to do this with dBpowerAMP?
    It's possible, but in multiple steps:

Originally posted by ChristinaS
    I will recommend you use the program Stoik Powerpak (a free video converter) from http://www.stoik.com/downloads/downloads_frm.htm. Using Stoik Videopak you can convert your .avi to .wmv (select the highest settings) and then using dMC you convert this .wmv to .wma and once again .wma to .wav or whatever you want.
    Last edited by LtData; 12-20-2004, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

LOL, the last bit about another program stripping audio was from somebody else's post! Nothing to do with this one :D

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Woops. Missed that part. Oh well, it's fixed now.

Comment

• Larry!
          • May 2002

The easiest and most efficient way would be to use nandub or virtualdub for this. It will demux sound from movie in 1-2 min.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Larry!
            The easiest and most efficient way would be to use nandub or virtualdub for this. It will demux sound from movie in 1-2 min.
            Too right! I totally forgot about Virtualdub. Yes, indeed, it's easy and fast.

Stoik basically does easy video conversions between a few types, and so far it's the only one I found that that can handle mpg without a special license (plus it's free).

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

So, can VirtualDUB take audio from an AVI file like, with one click?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

So, can VirtualDUB take audio from an AVI file like, with one click?
                Well, one click .... you got to browse and find your input file, select all the specs for your output..... a few clicks anyway. :smile2: But then it stays so for the next time you use it.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

Well, one click .... you got to browse and find your input file, select all the specs for your output..... a few clicks anyway. :smile2: But then it stays so for the next time you use it.
                  so...if the audio from the avi was in mp3 format at 138 abr kbps, i can rip it out using VirtualDub, keeping the same audio quality? or would I lose some?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

so...if the audio from the avi was in mp3 format at 138 abr kbps, i can rip it out using VirtualDub, keeping the same audio quality? or would I lose some?
                    I'd think the audio in an avi is actually wav. But in any case you define what you want to extract it to. I don't see how you can lose if you extract to uncompressed PCM .wav: 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-ch stereo.

Comment

• Larry!
                      • May 2002

I'd think the audio in an avi is actually wav. But in any case you define what you want to extract it to. I don't see how you can lose if you extract to uncompressed PCM .wav: 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-ch stereo.
                      Well, not really. Creating .avi with .wav will lead to almost double filesize =)
                      So, actually .avi files usually contain .mp3(cbr or vbr), more rarely it can be .wma, .ac3 or .aac. Virtualdub will demux(extract) it exactly the way it is, but with .wav extension.
                      Last edited by Larry!; 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Larry!
                        Well, not really. Creating .avi with .wav will lead to almost double filesize =)
                        So, actually .avi files usually contain .mp3(cbr or vbr), more rarely it can be .wma, .ac3 or .aac. Virtualdub will demux(extract) it exactly the way it is, but with .wav extension.
                        Oh, I really hope Virtualdub doesn't start playing around with creating different file types yet calling them all wav! That would be very irresponsible.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2004

Ok, I got VirtualDub. Now, because I lack common sense, I don't know how to extract the audio. What do I click exactly?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

somebody........help. Please?

Comment

• Larry!
                              • May 2002

Oh, I really hope Virtualdub doesn't start playing around with creating different file types yet calling them all wav! That would be very irresponsible.
                              That's not a huge problem, really, since header of audiofile will remain the same, so any player will figure what filter to use. Or, to avoid confusing, change extension to what it is.

Comment

Working...

]]>