title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Error while transferring to iPod - Drive Not Ready

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterOfPuppets
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2002

Error while transferring to iPod - Drive Not Ready

When I transfer my collection of files to an iPod, I get an error message sometime randomly throughout the transfer. Sveta gets stuck on transferring a random file; at this point Windows bugs out, giving me an error message about once every 45 seconds, dMC/MMC locks up and Windows doesn't let me kill the process, forcing a reboot. Have transferred using MMC's synchronize and 'Convert to Apple iPod', same results. Transferring small numbers of files work, but not multiple gigabytes. I've Sveta-formatted the drive multiple times and still pops up. Seems like a problem with Windows' built-in drivers for storage devices, has anyone else seen this message before?

20 gigabyte Third(???) generation iPod (it's my brother's)
    Latest beta of dAP / dMC / Sveta / iPod drivers
    XP Prof.

Message repeated here for aided searching:

---

MusicConverter.exe - Drive Not Ready

The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR5 and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed.

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

---
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 11-11-2004, 08:11 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Error while transferring to iPod - Drive Not Ready

How do you plug the iPod into the PC (looks like XP)? firewire or USB 1 or 2?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2002

Using USB 2; don't have a firewire port.

Comment

• Ayla
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets
        Using USB 2; don't have a firewire port.
        Make sure your USB 2 drivers are up to date! To do this, right click on "My computer" and go to Properties. From there, choose Harware. Scroll about half way down and click the button that says Device Manager.

Now scroll down to where it says "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Depending on how many USB ports are on your system, there could be quite a few listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on each one individually and right click. Choose properties again. The third tab says Drivers. Click on it.

Then click on Update Drivers. You want it to look on Windows Update and any other place the drivers may be and let it search.

If this says your driver is up to date, you still need to do one more thing to be sure. Go to the manufacturer of the USB ports. If they are directly on the motherboard then go to the motherboard manufacturer and see if they have updated their drivers for the USB 2.

I do think this will solve your problem as it sounds as though the drivers are out of whack a bit.

Comment

• Unregistered

I have the same problem, i updated the drivers but that does not seem to help =/ This problem just started last week for me... i noticed that files kept freezing up on the ipod when i tried to play them also.

Both when it freezes and i get that message you can hear the Hard Drive clicking and running non stop as if its trying to do something but can not stop or find out what to do.... disk scan and reformatting (both the ipod way and through windows disk util) did not assist

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Clicking hard disks tend to mean a broken hard disk (the head flicks back over the same area trying to read the same bit constantly).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>