title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Support 32-bit float WAV files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • learjeff
    • May 2002

Support 32-bit float WAV files

Well, this won't be the option in highest demand, but I'd appreciate it if dBPowerAmp would support 32-bit floating point WAV audio files. At a minimum, provide the ability to convert them to 16-bit wave files, and ideally, with dithering. Requiring PowerPack would be reasonable (it would be the only PP feature I'd use).

Here's why.

People who use Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) on their computers use 32-bit float for intermediate results (submixes, premixes, pre-mastered mixes, etc.) between their mixing application and mastering application and other related purposes. For those of us who collaborate on original music over the internet, we also often want to post these intermediate results for review.

Currently, we first have to use our DAW programs to convert from 32-bit float to 16-bit before we can convert to MP3 or WMA or whatever for posting on the web. It sure would be nice if we could use dBPowerAmp.

dBPowerAmp is just so convenient and easy to use, we're addicted. Practically everyone involved with on-line music collaboration uses it. So big thanks for making what we do easier!

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Support 32-bit float WAV files

I have been wanting to for awhile, I will see if it can sneek into the next R11 release (about 2-3 weeks), if you can send me a smallish 32bit float wave file:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• learjeff
      • May 2002

OK, will do!

I think I only have one app that creates them, n-Track. I'm a bit curious about the details here myself; all I know about WAV file headers I got from sonicspot.com, and there's no clue there as to how floating point files are indicated (IIRC). I may be able to get a few other folks to help out with other apps that create these files. So far I haven't heard of any incompatibilities among them, but that doesn't mean they're all the same!

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Normally they have a format id of 3, PCM is 1.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sdkeexxx
          • Dec 2004

This would help me also. I can get 32 bit WAV's converted to 24 bit Monkey's with DMC, but can't seem to get them from Monkey's to 32 bit WAV. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Scott

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It was a decision to map 32 bit float to 24 bit, for compatibility of various compression codecs.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>