title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

XPerformance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STAR
    • Sep 2002

Hey Spoon! Maybe you'll want to try these.... Hopefully thes'll be of some help...

I WANT MY XP COMPUTER BACK! *whines*
    Here you go anyways...

XP memory tweaks

Below are some Windows XP memory tweaks.
    They are located in the windows registry at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management

DisablePagingExecutive - When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. If you have 512 megs or more of memory, you can increase system performance by having the core system kept in memory. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.

LargeSystemCache - When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."

IOPageLockLimit - This tweak is of questionable value to people that aren't running some kind of server off of their computer, but we will include it anyway. This tweak boosts the Input/Output performance of your computer when it is doing a large amount of file transfers and other similar operations. This tweak won't do much of anything for a system without a significant amount of RAM (if you don't have more than 128 MB, don't even bother), but systems with more than 128 MB of RAM will generally find a performance boost by setting this to between 8 and 16 MB. The default is 0.5 MB, or 512 KB. This setting requires a value in bytes, so multiply the desired number of megabytes * 1024 * 1024. That's X * 1048576 (where X is the number, in megabytes). Test out several settings and keep the one which seems to work best for your system. Below is an easy chart:
    4096 - 32megs of memory or less
    8192 - 32+ megs of memory
    16384 - 64+ megs of memory
    32768 - 128+ megs of memory
    65536 - 256+ megs of memory

No GUI Boot
    If you don't need to see the XP boot logo,

Run MSCONFIG
    Click on the BOOT.INI tab
    Check the box for /NOGUIBOOT

Microsoft has made available a program to analyze and decrease the time it takes to boot to WindowsXP
    The program is called BootVis
    (availible at: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...otVis-Tool.exe )

Uncompress the file.
    Run BOOTVIS.EXE
    For a starting point, run Trace / Next Boot + Driver Delays
    This will reboot your computer and provide a benchmark
    After the reboot, BootVis will take a minute or two to show graphs of your system startup.
    Note how much time it takes for your system to load (click on the red vertical line)
    Then run Trace / Optimize System
    Re-Run the Next Boot + Drive Delays
    Note how much the time has decreased

Hope that some... or quite possibly, all of this has helped you.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Thanks, I have been through all of those. I tracked it down to a virus checker, once he loads the system goes much slower, but it is essential for me to have a virus checker.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ddominey86
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Spoon
        Thanks, I have been through all of those. I tracked it down to a virus checker, once he loads the system goes much slower, but it is essential for me to have a virus checker.
        if u want a virus scanner that is extreamly good and doesn't have a noticable slowdown on your computer, get Norton AntiVirus.
        it is the best one for removing viruses and is probably also the fastest.

Comment

• totalXSive
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Apr 2002

Don't know about that - ever since disabling Norton Antivirus 2002 my system has been running considerably faster. If I had some spare cash I'd set up a Linux box to act as a firewall, email virus scanner and spam catcher, but I errr... don't.

Comment

Working...

]]>