title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to install a codec on a MP3 player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

How to install a codec on a MP3 player

I was wondering If there is a way to take a codec like an mp4 codec or AAC codec and install it on to an Mp3 player so I can play the Mp4 or AAC files on my Mp3 player.

The Mp3 player I own is a Memoriex Model No. MMP8500.

So I was wondering if there is a possiblity and Yes how would I do it?

please reply thank you
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to install a codec on a MP3 player

Just from looking over the specifications it seems pretty clear to me that this player cannot be programmed to play mp4 or AAC files on your player. There are only a few players that offer any ability to program them to play different file types and even then this capability is limited.
    You can use dBpowerAMP Music Converter to convert such files from AAC/mp4 to mp3 or wma (the two formats this player supports).
    Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• hans-j�rgen
      • Sep 2004

Re: How to install a codec on a MP3 player

I would like to add that I haven't heard of any manufacturer updating the firmware of his portables to support AAC/MP4 yet. Theoretically this is possible with some players, and in a way has happened to older iPods, too, but other companies have not offered this option to their customers, as far as I know (i.e. providing a simple firmware update on their website).

There are other portables that support this format out of the box though, e.g. the DivaGEM or newer mobile phones from Nokia and other companies, so it might spread in the future, also to HDD based portables.

When transcoding from AAC/MP4 to MP3 for portables, the usual "no-no's" (quality loss etc.) are less important, too, so the original poster can safely go that way. A few tests what bitrate setting is enough for him is a good idea, too.

Comment

Working...

]]>