title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

error messages

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

error messages

please can you help me? i am trying to convert some tunes but i keep getting the same error message each time i try.

here is the error message

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\ched\My Documents\Evanescence - my immortal.wav.TEMP.wav' could not be opened.

any help would be gratefully recieved

please email any advice to ched2009@aol.com

thanks
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: error messages

I am sorry but we do not email advice.
    The error message you are receiving indicates a problem with the conversion you are attempting, most likely having to do with the part of the process dealing with the end product (the converted file you are trying to create). To nail down the problem and resolve it, it would be helpful to know what format you are trying to convert to including such details as bitrate, frequency, channels, and (if applicable) number of bits. It would also be helpful to have this information about the wav file(s) you are trying to convert.
    Your problem likely lies with the encoder not being able to do the conversion requested. If you try to convert a 24 bit, six (5:1 stereo surround) channel, wav file at 48 khz to a two channel, 16 bit, mp3 (Lame) file at 41.5 khz (for example) the conversion will probably (I say this because I am not at home and cannot try this out to confirm this beyond a doubt) fail because the Lame encoder codec is not set up to read that type of wav file. In that case the solution is usually to convert your non-standard wav file to a standard 16 bit, two channel wav wav file at 41.5 khz and then convert to mp3.
    The other scenario we see is where people try to overcompress a file.

So try these ideas on for size. If you would like or need further assistance please let us know the details I mentionned in terms of the wav file(s) you are trying to convert and the settings you are using for the file you are trying to create.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

I am a total novice, have used dBpowerAMP a total of maybe 10 minutes. I was getting that error as I kept trying to compress a 13 MB wav file down to a smaller and smaller mp3 file. I tried to use variable bit rate (I think that's what it's called) because the file isn't music, it's speech. Unfortunately, the person who recorded it wasn't in a proper studio, so there's lots of noise in between words and sentences. Anyway, I just went back to settings that worked and tried options such as "AM" and "voice" and "low" (quality?) and got it down to about 1.1 MB.

I hope I'm not considered a troll for this semi-gratutious post, but I found this tool in a Google search for something like:

"wav to mp3" free

and it's an understatement to say I was pleased with the results I got. I'm just trying to encourage people to try options that work, not to get hung up on settings that don't work.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Glad you got it to work.
        Enjoy! :komisch7:

Comment

Working...

]]>