title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

a simple question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

a simple question

ok, so this is probably one of the most basic things to know whilst using dbpoweramp but hey, i've been trying and its just not making any sense!
    i downloaded this program in order convert my real media files to mp3 formats; and to do so, its required to: right click on start/explore/browse for ur file and then right click on it and select "convert to" ....right?? however, that "convert to" option is not there on my real media files!! am i missing a step? or do i need to download an add-on of some sort?? plz help!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: a simple question

Go to Codec Central and download and install the Real Audio encoder and decoder codecs. While dB Music Converter (and the other dB component programs as well) can handle a variety of file formats you do have to download and install codecs for those other programs. The codecs are essentially routines that allow dB to read and write files in specified format.
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

I think you also need to have Real Player or Real One installed on your pc.

Also remember that converting a real media or real audio file is done in real time, so the time it takes is the same as the time it takes to play the file through the player plus a few extra seconds to complete the conversion. There will not be any indication of the progress right up until it's done, so don't just assume it's not working, unless it's been way too long

Comment

• vslape
        • Jul 2004

I have real palyer 10 and have bought 3 of their songs in .RAX format. Two of the songs converted over to Audio .CDA format alright and I converted them to MP3. However, the Real Player Burner stopped putting any files of any kind onto CD. It says it does, but there is nothing there. Just a CD that windows XP cannot read.

Does anyone know where to get a codec for the . :( RAX format. I changed the extention to .AAC but the converter just sat there for over an hour with no progress.

Do I need the smart extention converter to get the file to be an .AAC file?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by vslape
          I have real palyer 10 and have bought 3 of their songs in .RAX format. Two of the songs converted over to Audio .CDA format alright and I converted them to MP3. However, the Real Player Burner stopped putting any files of any kind onto CD. It says it does, but there is nothing there. Just a CD that windows XP cannot read.

Does anyone know where to get a codec for the . :( RAX format. I changed the extention to .AAC but the converter just sat there for over an hour with no progress.

Do I need the smart extention converter to get the file to be an .AAC file?
          .RAX I think is Real Audio protected format, which means you cannot convert it outright to anything, only play it on your pc in Real Player. Possibly burning to CD using Real Player's own cd buring software also fails, as documented in some forums I just read. Sounds like a pretty raw deal to me. I don't know why the first 2 .rax files worked for you though, might they have been just .rm or .ra files?

I think the the only option would be to play the .rax file in Real Player and capture the audio file to either a wav or mp3 ( I prefer wav) using dMC Auxiliary Input. If you've captured sucessfully to wav, then you can convert it to mp3 or anything else using dMC in the usual way.

Please let us know the outcome.

Comment

• vslape
            • Jul 2004

Thanks!!! After downloading the aux input and playing around to get the settings right, it worked like a champ. Now I have an .MP3 file that will play on something besides RealPlayer 10.

I think the best bet would be not to buy any songs from the Real Music site.

I would hate to have to do the same thing with a whole album.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by vslape
              Thanks!!! After downloading the aux input and playing around to get the settings right, it worked like a champ. Now I have an .MP3 file that will play on something besides RealPlayer 10.

I think the best bet would be not to buy any songs from the Real Music site.

I would hate to have to do the same thing with a whole album.
              LOL! You're catching on fast!

Besides, a whole album would cost you just about the same as buying the cd from the store (maybe even more) and you can't beat the quality and utility of the original.
              Last edited by ChristinaS; 07-16-2004, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• drspy00
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2004

I'd much rather get an original CD. Its annoying when you can download music for free (sometimes illegal but whos gonna know) and then do anything you like with it but if you do the right thing and download music legally your left with bad restrictions like that.
                You cant really win, its better to just buy the CD.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by drspy00
                  I'd much rather get an original CD. Its annoying when you can download music for free (sometimes illegal but whos gonna know) and then do anything you like with it but if you do the right thing and download music legally your left with bad restrictions like that.
                  You cant really win, its better to just buy the CD.
                  I will resort to downloading from wherever it may be available a song for the only purpose of hearing it once and figure out what it is and if I like it. Typically this happens when I'm talking with somebody and they say: have you heard such and such by so and so - it is a good example of.....? So, if I have no idea of what and whom they are talking, I'll try to get the song somewhere just to get an idea. I look at it as akin to radio on demand. If I like something enough, I'll buy it. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother listening a second time. If I can't do this, then I am defintely not going to buy the cd just for that, so this is in now way a missed opportunity to make a sale to me.

Speaking of this, I think it's high time the music industry provide an extensive online listening service for people like me, who only want to hear the song once or so before deciding whether to buy it or the album (I can't be siting by the radio every moment, can I?). I know music stores offer this service, but I'd rather do it from home, on the net. They could easily make it so you can't download the file or if you do manage to capture it (e.g. auxiliary input) the quality is poor, so you'd not be too tempted to add that to your collection. Just my rantings....

Comment

• vslape
                    • Jul 2004

There are a couple of web sites that have songs you can queue up in a radio like list and play, but the catch is you will have to eventually subscribe to it. More money in someone's pocket.

Check out rapsody(sp). They are giving away a 7 days free trial, but you have to download their program to play it.

I am now in the process of converting my 5 Elvis cassettes to MP3.

Comment

Working...

]]>