title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Album ReplayGain Ignoring Peak - Causes clipping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kchap
    • Jan 2024

Album ReplayGain Ignoring Peak - Causes clipping

This also applies to Music Converter. I am new to dBpoweramp so I have been experimenting with just a couple of CDs. With one of my test CDs I add the DSP option ReplayGain - Album. The resultant files show an album gain of 2.2 dB but an album peak of 0.948204. A peak 0.948204 is about -0.46 dBFS (peak). If I then do a ReplayGain (Apply) and check the files with Audacity I can clipping has occurred on one of the tracks.

Is this normal behavior? In this particular case I would have thought dBpoweramp would limit the album gain to 0.46 dB
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Album ReplayGain Ignoring Peak - Causes clipping

On the advanced page did you have disable clip prevention enabled?

As a test try on one file with Track gain, not album gain, what are your results?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kchap
      • Jan 2024

I have been distracted but I finally did some more testing. It is not working with track gain or album gain. Clipping still happens on some tracks. To highlight this problem you need the right CD. An album where the average level is low, so dBpoweramp will calculate a positive gain, but with occasional peaks close to 0dB FS.

My work around is to use a python script to correct the gains so it's not a great concern. Within the last couple of hours it occurred to me that it might be fixed in the ReplayGain (Apply) phase if I click the limit to 0 dB option. I will investigate further.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Peaks close to 0db is not clipping, it would have to be at 0db where multiple samples are reduced
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kchap
          • Jan 2024

True but after applying the gain clipping occurs. Now for good news. When I was applying the the gain, Replay Gain (Apply), I was not selecting the Limit peaks option. I thought it was an extra precaution to deal with files from other applications.

Selecting Limit peaks fixes the problem
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-29 205246.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	294733

If peak in dB + gain is greater than 0dB, dBpoweramp recalculates the gain and applies to all tracks in the album.

Problem solved

Comment

Working...

]]>