title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Better information for new user

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 24bitbob
    • Dec 2023

Better information for new user

I paid for CD Ripper / Music Converter & Perfect Tunes. The appeal for me was Perfect Tunes given that clean up of file data is a tedious process. I used CD Ripper years ago, and it is the best ripper in my view. I was hopeful Perfect Tunes would be as good.

Is there better information on how Perfect Tunes works beyond the very brief overview given on the Help link? I tried to use Perfect Tunes but it started to download goodness knows how many files, and I have no idea what it was doing other than it seemed to be taking a very, very long time to do what it was doing, and downloading an astonishing amount of data. I'm not really wanting to wait days to get a bunch of tags I could tidy up in MP3Tag in 10 minutes, nor do I believe that gigabytes of information should be required either.

What exactly is Perfect Tunes doing, and what should my expectations be about how it works?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Better information for new user

when you open PerfectTunes, what application have you clicked on? AccurateRip, ID Tag, Artwork, dedup? If you've set the directories it is reading to your entire collection, and if is large, it may take a while to read all your files, read all the metadata, etc.
    Last edited by garym; 12-03-2023, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• 24bitbob
      • Dec 2023

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've tried each of the apps within the panel. I get pretty much the same thing. I have around 13,000 tracks in my library, all FLAC. I've tried analysing the whole Library and it seems to run amok. As example, when using the ID Tags app, it starts analysing and boldly claims '5 miutes to go'. As it analyses 100, 200, 300 tracks the timer increases: '15 minutes to go', '35 minutes to go' ..... and on and on, up to 1 day plus once it gets to a couple of thousand tracks. But also, and as a specific example, I will reference the track 'Us v Them' by LCD Soundsytem. The FLAC file size I have is around 59 MB, but the notification of Automatic File Downloads showed a size of over 350 MB for that track. I don't get it. What is being downloaded and where is all that data going?
      I then went to try doing the same but focussing on a much smaller folder (AC/DC in this instance) which has around 80 tracks. However, when I try that I get nothing, I mean nothing seems to happen.
      If there was a manual or something I'd dig around and try things and not trouble this forum, but I've run out of things to try, hence my request for help to better understand what Perfect Tunes is trying to do.
      FYI, my main area of interest is IDTag, but it would be good to run things through AccurateRip too. I'm hopeful I can do that, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you open ID Tag and use the filename browsing option it does not need to scan your whole library. However if you want to browse by artist, or similar all the track have to be indexed.

PerfectTunes would only download album art, and nothing that large for a single file.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

I have about 130,000 tracks and don't see the behavior you are seeing. But if I'm loading up all tracks, it does take a while. but I don't see it downloading anything unless I specifically click to update a tag or album art. Try this, select your entire library then select AccurateRip and let it check all the tracks. That should just read and not download anything.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

I plan on running my entire 130,000 track library through AccurateRip today, after I copy all my files to a new HDD. I'll report back on the time it takes.

Comment

• 24bitbob
              • Dec 2023

Thanks, I'm going to uninstall/reinstall. The behaviours I'm seeing seem odd. I've tried to attach a screenshot to show the sort of thing I'm getting (Not sure if the image will appear). Downloading a file multiple times larger than the actual music file itself is definitely not right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-05 052156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	294721

Comment

• 24bitbob
                • Dec 2023

Aaaargggghhhhh!!!

I keep all of my music files on my D Drive, except I have a few hundred favourite albums on OneDrive. By default PerfectTunes lists the User\Music folder as a source. That folder is actually a OneDrive folder, so whenever I do anything on PerfectTunes it trawls through OneDrive first (quite why it sees such massive files I have no idea). I've deleted the 'Music' folder and pointed PerfectTunes only to the relevant D Drive folders. It's now running the way I was hoping.

Sweet.

Thank you for your efforts in helping this newbie.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 24bitbob
                  Aaaargggghhhhh!!!

I keep all of my music files on my D Drive, except I have a few hundred favourite albums on OneDrive. By default PerfectTunes lists the User\Music folder as a source. That folder is actually a OneDrive folder, so whenever I do anything on PerfectTunes it trawls through OneDrive first (quite why it sees such massive files I have no idea). I've deleted the 'Music' folder and pointed PerfectTunes only to the relevant D Drive folders. It's now running the way I was hoping.

Sweet.

Thank you for your efforts in helping this newbie.
                  aha. After looking just now at your pictures, I started to suggest that maybe you are trying to analyze files that are in some sort of cloud drive and thus the downloading. But good that you solved this mystery first.

Comment

Working...

]]>