title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unable to read track details, file corrupted or not supported.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Unable to read track details, file corrupted or not supported.

You would have to look at the filenames it is showing on the overwrite page, is it all of them?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Roxie2401
      • May 2021

Originally posted by Spoon
      You would have to look at the filenames it is showing on the overwrite page, is it all of them?
      Sorry this took so long to get back to you.

Yes, on the Warning page it list all the files in multiple folders but sure looks like it is only overwriting the files in the first folder and just added a converted file in subsequent folders ---- strange but now that I understand it I just sort the folder by file extension and delete the old file type.

Different question -- is there a way to set up the converter to just make DSP changes and not do a conversion? Example: Just do Volume Normalization (EBU R128) on files without converting? I tried just setting the converter to Test Conversion and only DSP - it ran but the DSP (Volume Level) remained unchanged. If I set the encoder to the same as the file already is (mp3, etc.) it runs the converter and the DSP and the volume level is changed. But why run the converter just to do Volume change?

Did I miss an option or setting to just run DSP effects on files?

Sorry for the questions. I realize dbpa is a really powerful tool and I just need a little help getting started.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

If you just want to add ReplayGain (EBU R128) tags you can do this without converting the audio. But volume normalize actually CHANGES THE AUDIO PERMANENTLY. so the audio must be converted (rewritten). Are you sure you want this rather than simply adding ReplayGain tags, which ReplayGain aware players can use to normalize playback volume.

Comment

• Roxie2401
          • May 2021

Originally posted by garym
          If you just want to add ReplayGain (EBU R128) tags you can do this without converting the audio. But volume normalize actually CHANGES THE AUDIO PERMANENTLY. so the audio must be converted (rewritten). Are you sure you want this rather than simply adding ReplayGain tags, which ReplayGain aware players can use to normalize playback volume.
          Unfortunately, yes, I want the actual audio file gain changed in this particular case -- player does not understand ReplayGain tag.

So, am I correct, I have to run a "Conversion" in order to use any of the DSP functions ---- including, but not limited to just the gain level, i.e., all the other DSP (EQ, Filters, etc.) require a Converter (like mp3) to run even though its a "non-conversion" to get the changes written?

Both you and Spoon have been very understanding of my questions, and I appreciate your knowledge and experience!

And to be honest, the big dummy added DSP (took the level to -14) during ripping and should have left it alone as -18 or nothing, so I'm trying to un-do the damage without re-ripping those disk ---- at least I only made a small dint in the total library.
          Last edited by Roxie2401; 09-16-2023, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Roxie2401
            Different question -- is there a way to set up the converter to just make DSP changes and not do a conversion? Example: Just do Volume Normalization (EBU R128) on files without converting? I tried just setting the converter to Test Conversion and only DSP - it ran but the DSP (Volume Level) remained unchanged. If I set the encoder to the same as the file already is (mp3, etc.) it runs the converter and the DSP and the volume level is changed. But why run the converter just to do Volume change?
            If they're MP3 files you could instead use MP3Gain?

It's a little crude in that it only allows steps of 1.5dB but it's a lossless process (can be undone at a later stage) and transparent to all players.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Unfortunately, yes, I want the actual audio file gain changed in this particular case -- player does not understand ReplayGain tag.

So, am I correct, I have to run a "Conversion" in order to use any of the DSP functions ---- including, but not limited to just the gain level, i.e., all the other DSP (EQ, Filters, etc.) require a Converter (like mp3) to run even though its a "non-conversion" to get the changes written?

Both you and Spoon have been very understanding of my questions, and I appreciate your knowledge and experience!

And to be honest, the big dummy added DSP (took the level to -14) during ripping and should have left it alone as -18 or nothing, so I'm trying to un-do the damage without re-ripping those disk ---- at least I only made a small dint in the total library.
              not home to experiment, but I would say any DSP that modifies actual audio requires conversion. But there are lots of DSPs that can be run that do not modify audio. For example ARRANGE AUDIO, various tag editing, artwork, and other things. In the dbpa environment DSPs relate to many actions that are not technically digital SOUND processing.

Comment

• Roxie2401
                • May 2021

not home to experiment, but I would say any DSP that modifies actual audio requires conversion. But there are lots of DSPs that can be run that do not modify audio. For example ARRANGE AUDIO, various tag editing, artwork, and other things. In the dbpa environment DSPs relate to many actions that are not technically digital SOUND processing.
                I agree, since this particular DPS is modifying the audio. It was just strange to see the Converter running (4 CPUs, etc.) through to conclusion running the DSP update and not having any change. I hope converting from (in this example) mp3 to mp3 really isn't re-doing that conversion but just updating the DSP change.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I agree, since this particular DPS is modifying the audio. It was just strange to see the Converter running (4 CPUs, etc.) through to conclusion running the DSP update and not having any change. I hope converting from (in this example) mp3 to mp3 really isn't re-doing that conversion but just updating the DSP change.
                  if the DSP is volume normalize it has to recreate the mp3, as the actual audio is being modified. May not be very noticeable, but there is a quality loss when doing a lossy to lossy conversion such as this.

Comment

• Roxie2401
                    • May 2021

if the DSP is volume normalize it has to recreate the mp3, as the actual audio is being modified. May not be very noticeable, but there is a quality loss when doing a lossy to lossy conversion such as this.
                    I'm guessing the same thing will happen on my flac to flac, just to re-set the DSP normalization, it will convert the existing flac to a new flac.

This looks very much like I should just rip the disks again just to get back to -18 LUFS.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

I'm guessing the same thing will happen on my flac to flac, just to re-set the DSP normalization, it will convert the existing flac to a new flac.

This looks very much like I should just rip the disks again just to get back to -18 LUFS.
                      flac to flac is fine. This is a LOSSLESS conversion. No need to rerip.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

If I am ripping CDs, I would rip all to flac, and only add ReplayGain DSP to write ReplayGain tags. Then I would have bit perfect rips of the CD. This would be my archive. Then if I needed versions (either flac or mp3 or m4a) with permanent volume modification for playback, I would use the batch converter to convert my archive flac files to a new set of files (copies) using the volume normalize DSP. Then I can play these files in my non-ReplayGain aware players.

keep in mind that one of these days you may have ReplayGain aware servers or players and you will wish you had the bit perfect versions.

Comment

• Roxie2401
                          • May 2021

If I am ripping CDs, I would rip all to flac, and only add ReplayGain DSP to write ReplayGain tags. Then I would have bit perfect rips of the CD. This would be my archive. Then if I needed versions (either flac or mp3 or m4a) with permanent volume modification for playback, I would use the batch converter to convert my archive flac files to a new set of files (copies) using the volume normalize DSP. Then I can play these files in my non-ReplayGain aware players.

keep in mind that one of these days you may have ReplayGain aware servers or players and you will wish you had the bit perfect versions.
                          This is really great advice. Thanks! I did find that MediaMonkey and iTunes apparently recognize ReplayGain (still tweaking VLC to see if it works).

One final (I hope) question ---- does Volume Normalize (DSP Setting) show up in any Tag Data? I can see the encoder Quality -V 4, for example, but I can't see the files that have had the DSP written; if I open the file in Audacity I can tell if the volume was changed but nothing is indicated in the Tag --- I took a flac file and converted it to mp3 with DSP Volume Normalization but the Tag just showed the encoder version, quality, etc. Should it have shown the DSP info? - The wave form changed so I know it was written. Why, well, some of my library was ripped with no changes, some with DSP set.......I just have to find the ones that need to be ripped again.

And, just a hint - when do you use Album Replay Gain vs Track Replay Gain? Read the help file but wonder if you have any experience to share.
                          Last edited by Roxie2401; 09-18-2023, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

This is really great advice. Thanks! I did find that MediaMonkey and iTunes apparently recognize ReplayGain (still tweaking VLC to see if it works).

One final (I hope) question ---- does Volume Normalize (DSP Setting) show up in any Tag Data? I can see the encoder Quality -V 4, for example, but I can't see the files that have had the DSP written; if I open the file in Audacity I can tell if the volume was changed but nothing is indicated in the Tag --- I took a flac file and converted it to mp3 with DSP Volume Normalization but the Tag just showed the encoder version, quality, etc. Should it have shown the DSP info? - The wave form changed so I know it was written. Why, well, some of my library was ripped with no changes, some with DSP set.......I just have to find the ones that need to be ripped again.

And, just a hint - when do you use Album Replay Gain vs Track Replay Gain? Read the help file but wonder if you have any experience to share.
                            no, use of volume normalization does not show up in a tag. It might show up in ripping log. Not sure as have never used. Regarding album vs track RG, I use Album RG when playing an entire album (preserves the intra-album volume differences) and track RG when playing a mixture of tracks from different albums. And it is nice that all my servers/players automatically use my desired RG value as they detect whether I am playing a mixture of albums. This auto feature works in LMS, ROON, and foobar2000.

Comment

Working...

]]>