title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

all my wav files have changed to the same album art

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunanightside
    • Jul 2023

all my wav files have changed to the same album art

hello

as the title says, i installed dbpoweramp today to do some work with .wav files and now it's changed almost every recent .wav (and mp3) file to have the same thumbnail/icon
    i've looked into fixing it like excluding thumbnails in advanced settings but nothing has worked so far, not even uninstalling. figured i would try asking here for help, thanks
    Last edited by lunanightside; 07-28-2023, 09:49 AM.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: all my wav files have changed to the same album art

dbpoweramp won't automatically change any artwork. Where are you seeing the artwork. In your server? player? or ???

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

At a guess, in Windows explorer, dBpoweramp can provide thumbnails which can be read from folder.jpg file.

If dBpoweramp is not installed then it is not dBpoweramp supplying those thumbnails (restart computer).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• lunanightside
        • Jul 2023

Originally posted by garym
        dbpoweramp won't automatically change any artwork. Where are you seeing the artwork. In your server? player? or ???
        the thumbnails for the sound files themselves. it was the default audio player icon before and now its all a certain cover for a single album i have. they started showing up after i installed it so i just assumed dbpoweramp was the cause, is it not?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Unless you explicitly used dbpa to edit the cover art, it is not changing anything. It won't accidentally do anything to the art files. We need more info. How was the original (correct) artwork done. Is it embedded into the file? Is it simply a file within the album subdirectory (folder.jpg or cover.jpg)? Or ???? You still haven't told us what server or player you use. A couple of thoughts:

1. itunes. If these files were created by iTunes, iTunes doesn't embed or use folder.jpg when files are created in iTunes. Instead it stores the album art in a separate folder that only iTunes can read. So when these files are used elsewhere (outside of iTunes), you don't see the artwork. And maybe you're seeing the thumbnails you're seeing because there is NO artwork, and that thumbnail is in your parent directory and that's the only artwork found. (note that in the distant past, I used a program called "iCover" to automatically extract the iTunes artwork and embed it in the files so I'd have the artwork available in programs outside of iTunes.

2. Windows Media Player. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It is a program that will change your artwork to low quality thumbnails without asking you (in the background) if one is using the default WMP settings.

3. open some of these files in mp3tag. (yes, it handles WAV files). What artwork is showing for the files in mp3tag?

Comment

• lunanightside
            • Jul 2023

Unless you explicitly used dbpa to edit the cover art, it is not changing anything. It won't accidentally do anything to the art files. We need more info. How was the original (correct) artwork done. Is it embedded into the file? Is it simply a file within the album subdirectory (folder.jpg or cover.jpg)? Or ???? You still haven't told us what server or player you use. A couple of thoughts:

1. itunes. If these files were created by iTunes, iTunes doesn't embed or use folder.jpg when files are created in iTunes. Instead it stores the album art in a separate folder that only iTunes can read. So when these files are used elsewhere (outside of iTunes), you don't see the artwork. And maybe you're seeing the thumbnails you're seeing because there is NO artwork, and that thumbnail is in your parent directory and that's the only artwork found. (note that in the distant past, I used a program called "iCover" to automatically extract the iTunes artwork and embed it in the files so I'd have the artwork available in programs outside of iTunes.

2. Windows Media Player. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It is a program that will change your artwork to low quality thumbnails without asking you (in the background) if one is using the default WMP settings.

3. open some of these files in mp3tag. (yes, it handles WAV files). What artwork is showing for the files in mp3tag?
            i apologize. i'm using media player but not the default windows media player. i believe i just set one singular track in a folder to have album art and now the rest of the sound files are using that thumbnail

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

What is "media player"? VLC Media Player? I don't have any ideas on how to fix, other than it seems you haven't actually done album art in a standard way. But I'm sure this has nothing to do with dbpa. If this is VLC, you might ask on the VLC forum for suggestions.

If I was you, I'd either embed album art in each track or put a "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" in each album subdirectory. If you don't actually have the art yet, the other dpba program PerfectTunes will scan your library looking for missing (or better quality) album art and then add it. This can be done in bulk and works quite well. (I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'm just another user like you.)

Comment

• lunanightside
                • Jul 2023

What is "media player"? VLC Media Player? I don't have any ideas on how to fix, other than it seems you haven't actually done album art in a standard way. But I'm sure this has nothing to do with dbpa. If this is VLC, you might ask on the VLC forum for suggestions.

If I was you, I'd either embed album art in each track or put a "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" in each album subdirectory. If you don't actually have the art yet, the other dpba program PerfectTunes will scan your library looking for missing (or better quality) album art and then add it. This can be done in bulk and works quite well. (I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'm just another user like you.)
                exactly what it says on the tin, pretty sure it comes already installed with windows 10. i'll just try and give every affected file the default/stock icon for the player and leave it at that. it's ultimately not a big deal. sorry to trouble you all, i appreciate the efforts to help nonetheless

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

No trouble at all. that's what the forum is for. I would recommend moving away from Windows provided media players however. Nobody I know that is serious about their digital music uses a windows provided media player. Lots of better free options out there. Try foobar2000 for example.

Comment

• schmidj
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2013

I'm not sure but it is possible that the OP is asking about the thumbnails that you see on the desktop or in Windows Explorer, not the artwork that appears in his player.

There are a couple of arcane windows settings that determine whether you see the saved tag for the file or the logo of the chosen "open with" app.

First open "File Explorer Options" (find it by typing it in the search tab on the bottom or side toolbar) Find the entry "Always show Icons, never thumbnails, uncheck it if checked. Also uncheck "Display File Icons on Thumbnails.

Then search for Adjust the Appearance and Performance of Windows" Select the Visual Effects tab Select the "custom" radio button. Check "Show Thumbnails instead of Icons.

There are some other options, rarely used in home installations that can mess this up, probably some I don't know about. But these are the most common ones.

In the file explorer, for the page you are looking at, in the View tab at the top, you need to have Extra Large, Large or Medium Icons selected, the other choices don't display thumbnails, as far as I can determine.

This is Windows 10, I don't know what Microsoft may have done to confuse things in Windows 11.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Take a screenshot and upload to https://imgbb.com/

and post a link.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
                        • Dec 2021

Since this thread is recent, I am having the same problem, and it had to do with the Windows Explorer integration (now turned off).
                        The "Liam Gallagher" cover art stuck on some WAV files, but not all of them. There is no folder.jpg and no hidden system thumbnails.db or that sort of thing.
                        The solution presented by @schmidj does the following: you won't be able to see the actual photo for a real .jpg file, just its standard icon (the first step he says about). The second step he talks about will revert it back to the way it was. It is being a pain because there is no embedded artwork, nothing at all. No .db file, no folder.jpg. It just got this particular album cover and it stuck.

I am posting a link with that image:
                        https://ibb.co/fnbFLPz

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

The art work must exist somewhere, right click on one of the wave files >> Edit ID Tags

does it show art there? if so it is embedded in the wave file.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• krafty
                            • Dec 2021

Here's what I did. I checked with the "Edit ID Tags" and no album art was loaded. I then used MP3Tag to see. No album art. Also checker with foobar2000 and seen no album art embedded. Then, I opened up foobar2000, selected the files and chose "Remove Tags". The next reload of the file view in Windows Explorer, the album art was gone.
                            But in 3 specific files, I can't get rid of the album art in one MP3 file and 2 WAV files. I guess it's Windows messing things around?
                            Just so you know, this trick with foobar2000 removed the art from about 10 files.

Comment

Working...

]]>