title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can I apply DSP Replay Gain to files that have already been ripped?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pete8
    • May 2023

Can I apply DSP Replay Gain to files that have already been ripped?

I have a load of old files ripped ages ago.
    Can I use the Batch Converter to apply the DSP Replay Gain to these files?
    Thanks
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Can I apply DSP Replay Gain to files that have already been ripped?

You can, but I wouldn't recommend this if your files are lossless.

Dat Ei

Comment

• pete8
      • May 2023

Thanks Dat Ei
      It's a load of old MP3 files of varying quality that I rarely listen to these days, but I thought if it can be done I may as well do it.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

If your players support them you can add ReplayGain tags to the MP3s by using the ReplayGain utility codec, or if not you can try MP3Gain.
        MP3Gain is a little crude (only track or album gain and volume change is limited to 1.5dB steps per frame) compared to using ReplayGain tags, but it's a lossless process that can be reversed so is better than nothing.
        Last edited by simbun; 06-27-2023, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Just to be clear, when you say "apply" RG" to your files that has a very specific meaning. It means you use RG calculated values to actually CHANGE the audio of the files. And that is possible with dbpa. Another option is to add RG tags to your files. This only adds tag info that RG aware players can use and does NOT change the audio of the files at all. Adding RG tags can be done post ripping at any time. And "applying RG" in a permanent way can be done at any time as well. But these are two very different things.

Comment

• pete8
            • May 2023

Thanks @simbum and @garym

I'm a bit confused now.
            Ignoring the original question I asked above about old MP3 tracks, can I ask if I have ripped my albums correctly?

Having bought the software a couple of months ago I set the Ripper up as per the instructions - secure mode, offset, CD with triangular bit blacked out, FLAC Level 5 Compression etc. and started ripping my 900ish albums - a task I only completed a few days ago.
            I've recently bought a Naim Atom HE and have copied all the ripped albums to a 1TB USB that is plugged into the Atom.

The DSP Replay Gain (Track Gain) appeared in the DSP window by default and on the face of it seemed to be just what I needed.
            If listening to a mixed playlist I'm forever having to adjust the volume up or down for many tracks (95% classical music) which is really annoying and the Replay Gain seemed to be just what I needed.

So I've ripped all my albums with the Replay Gain (Track Gain) DSP setting.
            Have I screwed up?
            And if I have, how should I do it correctly for the best possible quality.
            I've attached a shot of the TAGS-

Click image for larger version

Name:	rg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	294684

Comment

• simbun
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2021

Originally posted by pete8
              The DSP Replay Gain (Track Gain) appeared in the DSP window by default and on the face of it seemed to be just what I needed.
              If listening to a mixed playlist I'm forever having to adjust the volume up or down for many tracks (95% classical music) which is really annoying and the Replay Gain seemed to be just what I needed.

Have I screwed up?
              There's a DSP called 'ReplayGain (Apply)' that alters the audio rather than simply adding tags, but I think it's only available in Music Converter so I'm 99% sure you're fine.

If you want to be absolutely sure you could use PerfectTunes to verify your rips against AccurateRip.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by pete8
                Have I screwed up?
                I've attached a shot of the TAGS-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3571[/ATTACH]
                No, you simply added RG tags and your audio is unchanged. So you are good! I do exactly the same thing when ripping except I change the settings of the RG DSP to add both TRACK and ALBUM RG tags.

Comment

• pete8
                  • May 2023

Phew!!
                  Thanks guys that's a big relief!
                  I'll add the Album RG tag too in future.

Comment

Working...

]]>