title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artists with 'The" in the title.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shpongle
    • Aug 2020

Artists with 'The" in the title.

I am currently ripping my CD collection to a hard drive which I then use with my Naim App

I'll do my best to explain.

I've noticed that when I look under Artists on my Naim App, when i look under 'B' The Beatles, along with The Beach Boys appear at the end of the 'B'section. The Style Council, The Supremes and The Smiths all appear at the end of the 'S' section on the app, but sometimes this doesn't happen. For instance, The Rolling Stones are not at the end of the 'R' section, they are in strict alphabetical order in the middle of the 'R' section. Same with The Groundhogs, they are in the middle of the 'G' section

So to summarise, sometimes artists that begin with 'The' are at the end of their relative letter and some aren't. What is it when I'm ripping, that determines where they appear and how do I go about editing to make them all the same?

I've gone back and checked that when I first rip the CD, the artist and album artist are as follows: Beatles, The. Rolling Stones, The. etc etc, so they are all ripped in the same format.

Hope I've explained ok

Many thanks
    Last edited by Shpongle; 06-25-2023, 03:24 PM.
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Re: Artists with 'The" in the title.

Check for a few things. Those that sort correct without "The" probably have a tag in the metadata for SORTARTIST that does not include "The" in front of the name.

There are similar sorting fields for ALBUMARTIST, COMPOSER, ALBUM, and TITLE as well.
    Last edited by GBrown; 06-25-2023, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Shpongle
      • Aug 2020

Hi. They all sort with 'The" in the title. e.g. The Groundhogs appears as The Groundhogs and The Beatles as The Beatles. The only difference is The Beatles appear at the end of the Bs.

When I look in my hard drive to see how they appear, there's no difference. The folder for The Beatles appears as Beatles, The. The Groundhogs the same. Groundhogs, The.

It's when I look at my Naim App that I see the anomaly. Maybe it's a Naim problem?
      Last edited by Shpongle; 06-25-2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• GBrown
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2009

In your original post you mentioned some like The Rolling Stones appears correctly. This won&*8217;t be resolved using filename or folder details. This is in the metadata. There are tags for ARTIST and potentially also a SORTARTIST. If these are filled in you can sort them as you wish.

There is also a setting in the options that you can check to automatically ignore leading A, An, and The words in the appropriate lists if you don&*8217;t want to edit these tags.

Comment

• Shpongle
          • Aug 2020

Ok...so..it's in the metadata of that particular CD for that particular artist? So can i retrospectively change anything to get consistency or do i have to re rip and change tags?

Where are these options where I can ignore leading letters and words?

Many thanks
          Last edited by Shpongle; 06-25-2023, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• GBrown
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2009

You can edit the tags any time, absolutely no need to rerun them just for that. To change info for just a single song, you can right-click on that file and choose "Edit ID Tags" that is a dBPoweramp add-on. If you want something more robust, that can do more complex updates, I personally prefer to use mp3tag (Google, it is free for Win).

For the other options, what program are you using to let the Naim app see your music library? CD Ripper gets the music into a digital format. Are you using Asset uPnP? In the configuration program look for the setting for 'The' handling and Sort options.

Comment

• Shpongle
              • Aug 2020

I&*8217;m using Asset

Comment

• GBrown
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2009

There is a program in the start menu called Asset UPnP Configuration, start that and then click on Edit Advanced Setting. Change the second and third items to match your needs.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	294683

Comment

Working...

]]>