title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

codec for .OMA files

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Re: codec for .OMA files

Sry for the 3ple post but you need to use lame out plugin, the standard one won't do.

Comment

• Ryan

Hey guys.
      I have been trying to convert these useless .oma files to .wav files... I can change the filename to .wmv and play it in WMP and Winamp, but when i try to use the discwrite plugin, it only writes a minute of audio to .wav. Similar thing happens when i use TMPGEnc... I can load the .oma file, but then when i try to output it to .wav, it writes only one minute of audio, and then the remaining time as silence. Anyone with experience?

Ryan

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ryan
        Hey guys.
        I have been trying to convert these useless .oma files to .wav files... I can change the filename to .wmv and play it in WMP and Winamp, but when i try to use the discwrite plugin, it only writes a minute of audio to .wav. Similar thing happens when i use TMPGEnc... I can load the .oma file, but then when i try to output it to .wav, it writes only one minute of audio, and then the remaining time as silence. Anyone with experience?

Ryan
        You haven't read this thread, have you? or the FAQ forum?

Comment

• Ryan

I shouldn't have to qualify my post to you, ChristinaS, but i have been working at this for a long time with a lot of frustration.

I have read this entire thread. In fact the two methods i mentioned in my post were ideas i got from posts in this thread. I feel this problem is unique, as I have gotten two of the methods to work to a degree, but they did not convert 100% of the audio.

If you have helpful input for us, thats cool, I would appreciate it. If all you have is useless moderation, why bother?

Just frustrated with Sony,
          Ryan

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

I shouldn't have to qualify my post to you, ChristinaS, but i have been working at this for a long time with a lot of frustration.

I have read this entire thread. In fact the two methods i mentioned in my post were ideas i got from posts in this thread. I feel this problem is unique, as I have gotten two of the methods to work to a degree, but they did not convert 100% of the audio.

If you have helpful input for us, thats cool, I would appreciate it. If all you have is useless moderation, why bother?

Just frustrated with Sony,
            Ryan
            Ok, fair enough. What I consider helpful input has been all along dMC Auxiliary Input. It's not because it's my pet theory, it's because it works.

It doesn't help when hundreds of posts appear from "Unregistered Guest" - there's no knowing who posted what else. Hard to see the forest for the trees. Most posts are hair-brained too, as you well know. Many would send one on a wild-goose chase.

Form reading hundred of posts on this very same subject and seeing all sorts of acrobatics people have attempted essentially to no avail I have to conclude that there's no actual codec solution, at least none that would work in all cases, and in some cases nothing works.

Keep in mind that changing file extensions doesn't change the file type, only confuses the issue. This can be done within a family of file types only and even then. WMP is "nice" enough to try to understand a misnamed file as long as it actually has the codec to play it.

The problem everybody is facing here is that these files are protected to varying degrees and by varying methods, thus they can either not be converted to anything else, or cannot be played on other equipment than the one they were intended to be played on originally due to the presence of licensing information which stays on the original machine. Matters get complicated even more when it appears that you seem to manage to convert the file once or twice and then it no longer works. Of course this is frustrating. This is why suppliers of these files keep changing and tightening their protection methods. They really want to control distribution of the files and the simple honor system has not worked to stem the multiple copying.

This is also why there are so many different protected file types, practically one from each supplier of downloadable music for sale. They all want to protect their wares.

Now you can fiddle with all sorts of things, right down to trying to modify registry entries. Some methods may work in some cases, mostly by fluke. Usually more harm than good will come of them in the hands of somebody who's not sufficiently savvy in that, as is the case with most people, yes, including myself. At best a waste of time. At worst messing up so nothing may work.

This leaves the only truly viable and not dangerous option: dMC Auxiliary Input. You play the file where you can play it and capture the audio to a regular unprotected file type.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, sorry about that. The day somebody comes up with a method to fully reverse file protection it will make the headlines and it will signal the beginning of the search for yet another way to encrypt files so they are even harder to crack.

Comment

• Ryan

ChristinaS,
              I understand that dbpowerAMP auxillary input works to record a .wav file when playing an .oma file in SonicStage. I have done this. However two of the other methods mentioned in this thread seemed to describe a lossless conversion of .oma files to .wav. That is - using TMPGEnc, and the discwrite plugin of Winamp. I have tried these two methods and it did covert A SMALL portion of the audio to .wav - only about a minute or so. So my question is to the people who are describing their methods for lossless conversion, as i have yet to have it work for me to convert an .oma file from start to finish.

Please don't feel that I have ignored or overlooked your contributive posts. I'm sure you would like to be acknowledged for your hard work and dedication to this board.

Ryan

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

ChristinaS,
                I'm sure you would like to be acknowledged for your hard work and dedication to this board.

Ryan
                Actually this is the furthest notion from my mind. Really is.

Sorry I can't be of help otherwise. It looks like maybe you are on to something.

Comment

• ghost

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  WTF are you doing man! Jeese.
                  There is absolutely no need to create a friggin' Movie out of it.
                  TMPG can encode to any audio format that windows supports as long as you have the right codec installed.

Follow these simple steps to encode any audio format to any other.

1. Open TMPG.

2. Click the 'Browse' button in the 'Audio source' field of the main window, select 'All files' from the drop down menu and load your audio file. Make sure the 'Video source' field remains blank.

3. Click File>Output to file>Wave file

4. Click the 'Setting' button now select the audio format you want to convert to (Mp3, wav, Wma e.t.c.)

5. Now give your output a name and click 'Save'.

Within minutes your audio file will be converted to your chosen output.
                  Well it worked for me and it converted the whole file too with no problem
                  I just wrote exactly how I did it.

Comment

• Unregistered

I converted an OMA file semi directly using TMPGENC.
                    Load the OMA file into audio source, and then click FILE=>OUTPUT TO FILE=>WAV AUDIO. I think you can work out from there.

Incidentally, this was done with two random tracks downloaded from Sony's new 'Connect-Europe' service. Supposedly secure? I think not. I've only had it for an hour! Unless half the tracks on it aren't DRM-Encrypted. Which we're led to believe they are. I'm very confused.

Comment

• just a thought

If any of you have a Sound Blaster sound card you can play the oma files in sonic stage and use any recording program to record the music. You must configure the recording program to record from "What You Hear" setting on the Sound Blaster.

Comment

• Unregistered

I know a way u can can convert .oma to .wma. just use windows media encoder. here's a link to download it : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx

Comment

• Unregistered

DEAR MORONS:

The .OMA format is protected, it is not wma or mp3. The reason you can play it in WMP when you rename it, is because MS have anticipated your stupidity, and know that you will rename files when you shouldn't. WMP automatically tries to determine the type of file that you give it, ignoring the file extention, correctly identifies it as .OMA and plays it using the driver that was installed when you installed the Sony music store.

HOWEVER, if you try the same trick on a computer which does not have the disgusting, incideous and all-pervasive Sony Sonicstage and that gay-ass media library thing installed, then it won't work. WMP works with any installed codecs you have, including DRM type ones. Also, if you transfer the file to a different computer which also has the software installed, it won't work either.

THE only way to convert your sony music OMAs to usable and properly transferrable is to actually perform a conversion on the file. So far the only app that does it properly is DBpoweramp with the OMA plugin installed. I think Windows Media Player also converts files and/or burns them to audio CD but I don't use it.

Side note: OMA is a compressed format, and so is mp3, converting from a compressed format to another compressed format is called double compression, and results in poor sound quality. Please don't use less than 192 kbit, and please don't try to pass off the files you make using the above method as CD rips or high quality. They will sound bad.

Comment

• Unregistered

I converted an OMA file semi directly using TMPGENC.
                            Load the OMA file into audio source, and then click FILE=>OUTPUT TO FILE=>WAV AUDIO. I think you can work out from there.

Incidentally, this was done with two random tracks downloaded from Sony's new 'Connect-Europe' service. Supposedly secure? I think not. I've only had it for an hour! Unless half the tracks on it aren't DRM-Encrypted. Which we're led to believe they are. I'm very confused.
                            maybe you should have played the whole thing, I only get 1 minute 3 seconds of audio using that method

Comment

• Unregistered

HOW TO CONVERT OMA TO MP3:

The OMA format is a format used by Sony for storing audio content. From what I can figure out after reading everything in this discussion forum, it sounds like the only way to convert OMA to another format is to burn an audio CD from SonicStage.
                              Not true. One can either play the file and record the audio using your soundcards "now playing" audio input, (if you have one) convert using windows media player encoder, or convert using another peice of software which can intercept playing audio before it reaches the soundcard. (such as tmpgenc)

However, burning to cd, then ripping the cd you made seems to be the easiest, albeit slowest and most expensive, method.

Comment

• Unregistered

Don't use auxillery input or any other lame methods like that!

when you use cables or wires out the back of your pc, the music gets converted from OMA to wav, then digitial to analogue, then back to digital again, then back to wav then to mp3.

the sound quality would be horrendous.

the *best* way I've found to convert the tracks is to use nothing more sophisticated than the sonicstage player itself.

The method was posted by another anonymous poster earlier in the thread but I'll reword it for the hard of thinking.

----------- BEST METHOD TO CONVERT .OMG to .WAV ------------------
                                In sonic stage, set your temp folder to c:\CONVERT or something you can easily get to. (tools, options, creating a CD)
                                put in a blank cdr
                                select the tracks you want to copy
                                select create CD from the "controls" menu
                                when the progress bar gets to about 75%, and the filesize of the largest .TMP file (or files) stops growing, quickly copy them to somewhere else.
                                rename the large .TMP files to .WAV files.
                                Protection gone.
                                ----------- BEST METHOD TO CONVERT .OMG to .WAV ------------------

once you have .wavs you can convert them to mp3 or whatever using dbpoweramp

Comment

Working...

]]>