title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is it possible to create a playlist (m3u) with rules manipulation?

Is it possible to create a playlist (m3u) with rules manipulation?

Hi, I'm using a QNAP NAS for my library and was wondering if it's possible to use rules manipulation to export a track only listing (with file path) of the files in my media folder? Basically a list (with file path) of files in the media folder without all the folders. Output would be a text file. From there I could copy the desired tracks into another text file that could be saved as a playlist file (m3u). I'm currently doing this manually and it's a slow effort. I haven't found any playlist creator apps for mac so I figure I'd ask. thanks in advance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is it possible to create a playlist (m3u) with rules manipulation?

Can't you just produce a listing at the file system level?
    Code:
    find /path/to/music -name '*.flac' > '/path/musicListing.txt'
    or if you have multiple file formats
    Code:
    find /path/to/music -regextype posix-extended -regex '.*\.(flac|mp3|ogg)' > '/path/musicListing.txt'
    I don't know if Synology will support this syntax though so you might need to look at the man pages, or just run the initial step multiple times e.g.
    Code:
    find /path/to/music -name '*.flac' > '/path/musicListing.txt'
    find /path/to/music -name '*.mp3' >> '/path/musicListing.txt'
    Notice the >> in the second line that tells it to append the results to the existing file.

Having said all that, surely there's got to be a better way of creating playlists.

Hi, yeah, I'm limited in my understanding of your post. I'm not sure where I'd be writing the scripts you shared. And I'm on a QNAP not a Synology.

I'd love to be able to dump all the tracks with filepath into a text file.

I'm not aware of software that does this for Mac. I see a playlist creator app for windows but haven't used it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Those commands would need to be run on the QNAP itself, so you'd need to log into the QNAP remotely using SSH, which by the sounds of it isn't really a possibility.

The problem with generating a file listing from anywhere other than the QNAP itself (including from dBpoweramp on the mac, eben if you could) is that the paths will be incorrect - assuming that dBpoweramp is even writing to the QNAP directly.

You might be able to do it if you want to use relative paths in the playlists, but this makes it a little more complicated as we'd need to know where your playlists are going to be stored relative to your music files, and how your music is mapped to the mac.

Maybe someone with more experience of QNAP could help, as I don't even know if ssh is enabled by default.

Ok, I was able to solve my problem using a shell command on the QNAP so all is good now. thanks.