title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

.asx to .mp3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

.asx to .mp3?

I can't convert this audio file (.asx) to mp3... is this software able to convert? if not.. does anyone know any program can do that..?
    thanks
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: .asx to .mp3?

rename you .asx to .wma then download dmc from here:

then go to codec central and download the windows media codec from codec central here:

Comment

• Unregistered

thanks so much.. it works now..

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
        thanks so much.. it works now..
        Just be careful, .asx refers to a meta-file for pseudo-streaming Windows Media Files (wma or wvm). There may be more than media file in the .asx stream, so you should target them seperately. You can edit the .asx file using Notepad and you can see the names of actual media files.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Razgo

then go to codec central and download the windows media codec from codec central here:
          How do you rename the asx file to wma

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

How do you rename the asx file to wma
            Use Windows Explorer, find your particular file that has the extension asx and right-click on it. Select the option Rename and enter a new name with the mp3 extension instead of asx. But be careful because you are really doing this just to fool a program. Your file is not an mp3 file just because of that trick.

A file with the asx extension is normally a meta-file, a kind of playlist file used for streaming, and the particular audio/video file(s) that are part of this playlist appear in it, in the order they will be streamed by Windows Media Player.

If you open your asx file using Notepad you will see that the contents are very readable, unlike a true mp3 file or wma file, which is only binary data.

You will see something like:
            Code:
            <ASX VERSION="3.0"> 
            <Title>xyz</Title> 
            <ENTRY>
                <REF HREF="http://www.some_site.com/xyz.wma" />
            </ENTRY> 
            </ASX>
            The line <REF HREF .... > actually gives the name and path to the true audio/video file which could have extension wma, wmv, mp3, mid and probably several others that I can't think of right now. There may also be many other descriptive tags there like <copyright> or <author> or <abstract>, all of which appear when Windows Media Player plays the file.

If you're doing the renaming trick, make sure you rename it back to an asx extension once you're done with the conversion, or you'll never straighten it out again.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by ChristinaS
              Use Windows Explorer, find your particular file that has the extension asx and right-click on it. Select the option Rename and enter a new name with the mp3 extension instead of asx. But be careful because you are really doing this just to fool a program. Your file is not an mp3 file just because of that trick.

A file with the asx extension is normally a meta-file, a kind of playlist file used for streaming, and the particular audio/video file(s) that are part of this playlist appear in it, in the order they will be streamed by Windows Media Player.

If you open your asx file using Notepad you will see that the contents are very readable, unlike a true mp3 file or wma file, which is only binary data.

You will see something like:
              Code:
              <ASX VERSION="3.0"> 
              <Title>xyz</Title> 
              <ENTRY>
                  <REF HREF="http://www.some_site.com/xyz.wma" />
              </ENTRY> 
              </ASX>
              The line <REF HREF .... > actually gives the name and path to the true audio/video file which could have extension wma, wmv, mp3, mid and probably several others that I can't think of right now. There may also be many other descriptive tags there like <copyright> or <author> or <abstract>, all of which appear when Windows Media Player plays the file.

If you're doing the renaming trick, make sure you rename it back to an asx extension once you're done with the conversion, or you'll never straighten it out again.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Razgo

that does not work i tried it like for example the file is called
                soldier it does not have .asx but when i got to do the virus property in properties it says soldier.asx now i rename the file soldier to soldier.asx then i get the codec and open the converter and try to convert but its like the file is invisible help me here!!!

Comment

• Unregistered

that does not work i tried it like for example the file is called
                  soldier it does not have .asx but when i got to do the virus property in properties it says soldier.asx now i rename the file soldier to soldier.asx then i get the codec and open the converter and try to convert but its like the file is invisible help me here!!!
                  scratch that i rename the file to .wma and try to convert to mp3 but its like the file isnt there since it doesnt ave a asx codec thing

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

scratch that i rename the file to .wma and try to convert to mp3 but its like the file isnt there since it doesnt ave a asx codec thing
                    What exactly plays that file? and what extension does it really have?

You must tell Windows to show you the extensions of known file types since it obvioulsy must have an extension and you're just not seeing it. That option is in Tools>Folder Options>View> and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.

Then you go back and look at the real name of your file.

If in doubt, try to open it with Notepad - if you can read the contents and it makes sense, then it is a meta-file, and what's in it should tell you what and where the real file is.

If you can't read it and you have a player that plays it, it is an audio file. The extension will tell you what kind.

Until you figure out these details it's hard to pinpoint what you need for conversion.

Comment

• Unregistered

christina i did what u said and now i can see the extension i changed it to wma to try to convert and i put convert to mp3 lame right? then it sais unable to open file! by the way the true extension is .asx i tried changing it to wma and converting and i changed to asf but they both said unable to open file

Comment

• Unregistered

by the way the file plays on windows media player and i can open it with notepad and theres some writing inside

Comment

• Unregistered

thats weird with notepad it says : whatever song.asf and the extension is .asx in virus properties?! by the way sorry about the triple posting

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

thats weird with notepad it says : whatever song.asf and the extension is .asx in virus properties?! by the way sorry about the triple posting
                            Virus properties??? Where does that come from???

Does notepad show something like this?
                            Code:
                            <ASX VERSION="3.0"> 
                            <Title>xyz</Title> 
                            <ENTRY>
                                <REF HREF="http://www.some_site.com/xyz.asf" />
                            </ENTRY> 
                            </ASX>
                            Ok, rename your original file back to something.asx.

Assuming there's no virus involved, what you want to convert is really the xyz.asf that's referenced inside your asx file. You have to get that file onto your pc.

The <REF HREF=.....> will give you the path to access the audio file directly.
                            If it's got http in front, it's possible to download. For others, it depends.

Copy that complete file path into your IE address bar (right after the first " and stop before the second "). If it is a proper audio file, it will start playing in Windows Media Player. Use File>Save media as and save your file to your pc, with the extension .wma.

Try converting it using dMC now. If it still doesn't work, it may be copy protected and you cannot convert it unless you use Auxiliary Input.

Comment

• Unregistered

virus properties is because of my cheapy antivirus sorry for the confusion! lol

Comment

Working...

]]>