title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

I am trying to move my Batch Ripper installation to a new machine running Windows 7-64. I have installed the Media Changer Driver and the system passes all of the tests, but when I attempt to RIP a group of discs they cycle in an out of the changer as 'unrecognized". The drive inside the changer is recognized only as "Firewire DVD,' however it will work (play) through WMP.

Administrator

Re: Ripping problem with Sony VGP-XL1B

I do not think these devices work in Windows 7 properly.

Thank you, Mr. Spoon. I'm afraid you're right, but I'll wait to see if anyone else weighs in just in case. The alternatives are costly--doubly so as I couldn't sell the Sonys in good conscience.
    ppp

Anybody had any success moving to Windows 7 or beyond with the Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B?
    I'm having a great time ripping my collection under XP, but am afraid to move beyond given
    the comments on this thread. These Sony boxes are available on ebay for under $200 all day long,
    and I think they'd be in tremendous demand if people knew what they could do with them.

One suggestion that I found online was to roll back to the legacy Firewire driver under Win 7.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Ar...Firewire-1.htm

If I had a Win 7 system with Firewire I'd definitely give it a try..... Anybody know?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post
    Anybody had any success moving to Windows 7 or beyond with the Sony VAIO VGP-XL1B?
    I'm having a great time ripping my collection under XP, but am afraid to move beyond given
    the comments on this thread. These Sony boxes are available on ebay for under $200 all day long,
    and I think they'd be in tremendous demand if people knew what they could do with them.

One suggestion that I found online was to roll back to the legacy Firewire driver under Win 7.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Ar...Firewire-1.htm

If I had a Win 7 system with Firewire I'd definitely give it a try..... Anybody know?

Thanks!
    Mine worked on Windows 7 /64 and continues to work on Windows 10 /64

Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post

Thanks!
    I have run the Sony changers with dbPoweramp Batch Ripper XP, Win 7, Win 8.1, and now Win 10 Pro. The process I use when setting up a newer system is to install the original changer software that came with the device (also down loadable from Sony website) the run the Vista upgrade (also downloadable fro Sony Website) in compatibility mode to get the upgraded drivers. When those two steps have been completed I rollback the firewire driver (not sure if the sequence is critical).

Power on the changer and when it is visible in the H/W device list under both CD/DVD drives and medium changers I then configure the drive in Batch Ripper configuration.

This has worked for me in all the later generation Win OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    Mine worked on Windows 7 /64 and continues to work on Windows 10 /64
    Hello! Sorry to necro this thread, but I am in a pickle. Do you happen to have said drivers to make the Sony VGP-XL1b work on windows 10? I am having a terrible time.