title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert M4P to MP3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickname
    • Dec 2004

Re: Convert M4P to MP3

Guys,

I read that Hymn doesn't work with the newest itunes version so I didn't bother installing.
    Even more worrying that Hymn leaves the Apple ID!!!
    It's intentional, so that you can be tracked down if you share the file on a P2P platform. I don't use P2P, but I share my mp3s with friends that do. I don't wanna be tracked down, because a friend of a friend of a friend who received my file shares it on Kazaa with my ID in it! Neither am I gonna divide up the mp3s into with and w/o my ID folders to keep track.

Somebody mentioned the security issue earlier. Can't this Hymn guy or any other smart programmer just pretend to have written such a cool program and spy you out for real? Maybe the program keeps records of all passwords and logins you type into your browser. Maybe it doesn't, I guess that's a general problem. Does anybody know more about how risky such programs are and what they can and cannot do?

Finally: Any new ways to convert m4p to mp3 without data loss by recording or wasting a disc? Preferably a program that just deletes DRM and ID anc converts to mp3. The often suggested dBpowerAmp supposedly requires purchase after 30 days to use the mp3 function!

Thanks for any useful [!] comments

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

You may check this out in the FAQ: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258

And no, I'm not aware of Hymn using any spyware methods.

And dBpowerAMP itself does not require registration but continued use of Powerpack and thus mp3 codec support does.
      Last edited by ChristinaS; 12-03-2004, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Somebody mentioned the security issue earlier. Can't this Hymn guy or any other smart programmer just pretend to have written such a cool program and spy you out for real? Maybe the program keeps records of all passwords and logins you type into your browser. Maybe it doesn't, I guess that's a general problem. Does anybody know more about how risky such programs are and what they can and cannot do?
        Yes, there is some element of risk always. Just like buying things over the internet or shopping at stores, some elements of caution are always warranted. Hymn does have its own site and own forums. Hymn has been around sufficiently long and we have had enough posts about Hymn that if indeed it contained spyware or was being used to hack user accounts and passwords I feel sure we would have heard about it by now.
        But if you want to be paranoid, you could imagine either an extraordinarily devious hacker or you could worry that Apple might institute measures to insert worms or viruses into systems using Hymn and/or iOpener, as the RIAA has been rumored to have done with relation to some p2p programs. On the other hand, these programs may need to access user id information because it is needed to break the DRM measures and/or as a sign of "good faith" to encourage "responsible" conversions as opposed to those who would use the program to make widespread distribution of musical files.

Right now Hymn and iOpener are the only programs we are aware of that are available to remove digital rights manageemnt measures from m4p files. Another program with that ability, iFreesoft, is not currently available. I am not sure what has happened to it or if we will see it again.

dBpowerAMP cannot delete DRM except by recording tracks through auxilary input if you can play them. I very much doubt that you will experience significant loss of audio quality either through recording tracks as they play or through burning them to cd and re-ripping them. You could use a cd-rw for this process, assuming you have a burner that can burn to cd rw, to avoid wasting a disc.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Merlin1935
          • Dec 2004

You can avoid wasting a CD by using a CD-RW. I agree that I paid for the music I should be able to do as I please as long as I do not resell the copies.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2004

Hey... While Hymn does not remove your AppleID it is still a good program, I would suggest it. I guess if youre worried about your friends sharing music on P2P, you shouldnt give your music to them man... I don't personally have a problem with you or I sharing music w/ friends, but just ask them to not put it on Kazaa or whatever.

Also, about the easiest way to find out if Hymn were using some SpyWare, is to look at the source code that you can actualy compile from. Ive looked at it, and its perfectly fine. As is DeDRMS and FairKeys.

If you would like something slightly more eye-friendly (hymn is a CLI) try this: iRevolt an Apple DRM Scheme Removal App.
            It uses the actual DeDRMS and FairKeys code written by Jon Lech Johannson (DVD Jon). If you would like, try it, if not thats cool too. (Note that this doesn't remove your AppleID either.)

Edit:
            For some reason, I cannot for the life of me remember to start posting my source along w/ my app. So:
            Source: C# Files Only
            Source: Entrie VS .NET 03 Project Folder (Minus the Bin and Obj Folders)

Also, if you would rather learn how to remove the DRM encryption yourself (this way you can get rid of your AppleID if you would like) you can read a description of what the DRM is and how it is removed here.
            Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; 12-12-2004, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2004

D'oh... should have just "edited" the last post...

I was going to put a converter in my iRevolt application. I know I want to be able to let people go to mp3, but what might some other formats you want to go to be? Give as much detail as you can, if you would like. Thanks everyone/anyone.
              Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; 12-08-2004, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• rob2718
                • Dec 2004

I can't get Hymn or iOpener to work. Hymn says it can't get the DRM key and iOpener seems to have the same problem. I'm guessing maybe these programs have a problem with my boot drive being E: instead of C: I can't think of anything else.

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

Rob-
                  You might try this app here:

Perhaps the hymn site might be able to help you get Hymn and/or iOpener to work for you (www.hymn-project.org).

Best wishes,
                  Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Just learned that WinAmp has an m4p input plugin here:
                    Embrace your inner fan, subscribe to your favorite artists to get Winamp-exclusive content.

There is a theoretical possibility that with this plug-in, the dBpowerAMP WInAmp Input decoder codec and proper installation, this plugin could be used for converting m4p with dMC or playing m4p on dAP. If anyone has experience or does try out this possibility, please let us know.

Best wishes,
                    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Has anyone tried it on protected files? I doubt winamp would publically list a protection beater.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Has anyone tried it on protected files? I doubt winamp would publically list a protection beater.
                        Hallo Spoon,
                        I just tried it with 3 different iTMS protected files (my computer is authorized and i have iTunes installed, though it isnt running while i try and play the songs in Winamp) and nothing happens. :thumbdown

For now, to me, it doesn't look like this works. If someone manages to make it work, let me/everyone here know how you managed it though...

Comment

• thomascameron
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by iTunesIsEvil
                          If you would like something slightly more eye-friendly (hymn is a CLI) try this: iRevolt an Apple DRM Scheme Removal App.
                          It uses the actual DeDRMS and FairKeys code written by Jon Lech Johannson (DVD Jon). If you would like, try it, if not thats cool too. (Note that this doesn't remove your AppleID either.)
                          Hey - this software works to convert from the protected m4p to mp4 files! Then converting to mp3 with dBpowerAmp Music Converter is a snap...

Many thanks for this. My first iTunes purchase was damned near my last - I was incredibly PO'd that I couldn't use the music for which I'd paid on any platform except the iPod. I understand the marketing behind it, but COME ON! It's my freaking music! I'm not going to post it on the 'Net or anything like that... I just want to be able to play it in my car.

Thanks for an awesome app!

Thomas

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2002

Thomas-
                            Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks also to uTunesisevil for their suggestion and for checking out the WinAmp plug-in and sharing their results.
                            Best wishes,
                            Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by thomascameron
                              Thanks for an awesome app!
                              Youre very welcome Thomas! Thank you for checking it out and putting some feeback on here! I'm glad to be of some help around here!

Originally posted by xoas
                              Thanks also to uTunesisevil for their suggestion and for checking out the WinAmp plug-in and sharing their results.
                              Absolutely no problem whatsoever sir, thanks go out to you guys on these forums for helping to spread the word around!

<ShamelessSelfPromo>
                              Check out my web-page for iRevolt. There is some info on the project and links to the application and the source code!
                              </Shameless Self Promo>

Comment

• adaywayne
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2004

How about going say M4P to WAV to MP3, w/same bitrate and everything? I'd think there's just gotta be a way to preserve quality converting in a digital medium!
                                Transcoding from m4p to wav to mp3 is a direction a lot of people have taken simply for the sake of portability between different environments. But as Christina says, converting an m4p file to another lossy format will result in some loss of audio information. Depending on your settings and the other factors I mentionned previously, this loss may be imperceptable. And the practical advantages in having a more portable file that you can use in more ways may well make the m4p to mp3 conversion a good option despite some loss of audio quality. If disc space is no object then converting m4p to wav to other lossless codec will preserve the quality of the original m4p the best but these files will be larger than the original m4p file.
                                One point to remember is that all other considerations being equal, any audio file (lossy or lossless) will always be its own best copy.
                                Another is that a difference that does not make a difference is not a difference. Even if there is a loss of audio quality in converting from mp3 to mp4 or the other way around, if you cannot tell a difference then it maybe it shouldn't be a worry. I am reminded of a song by the duo of Flanders and Swann called "High Fidelity", which dealt with the fascination of the then-new stereo sound. One verse in particular is relevent here:
                                "High Fid-el-ity,
                                Hi-Fi's the thing for me.
                                All the highest notes
                                neither sharp nor flat.
                                The ear can't hear
                                as high as that.
                                Still I ought to please
                                any passing bat
                                with my high fidelity!"

Best wishes,
                                Bill Mikkelsen

A bit off-topic but I loved Flanders and Swan. To get back on topic, Bill, try
                                starting with an 8-bit, 22050Hz, mono wave file. Convert it to 16-bit, 44100, stereo and then convert that back to 8-bit, 22050Hz, mono. Now, repeat that process, listeneing to the mono file after each iteration. By the third time you should notice quite a difference. After 6 iterations it will sound horrible, and after 10 iterations it will be virtually unplayable (turn your speakers down first!)

Happy festive season and healthy 2005 to all.
                                Arnie
                                Last edited by adaywayne; 12-20-2004, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>