title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter off-screen

dBpoweramp Music Converter off-screen

I use the latest trial version of Music Converter on Windows 7 in a multi-monitor configuration with two 1920x1200 monitors. The last two days when I try to run a conversion the encoding window and the progress window are initially placed in the upper left corner, and only 1/4 of the window is visible. Although using the instructions I found on this site I can temporarily move both windows to any position, the next time I run the program they return to the corner. Disconecting second monitor, reinstalling the program as well as changing the registry key value HKCU/Software/Illustrate/dBpoweramp/dMC-X and dMC-Y have no effect. Prior to reinstallation their values were 4294967090 and 4294967260 respectively. After reinstallation these values are set to 925 and 507, but any modification of these values has no visible result.

Administrator

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter off-screen

These values directly control the position, it could be that security software is now blocking dBpoweramp from the registry, as a test set the encoder to something which is not normally used, click Cancel (no need to do conversion), then try to convert again, does it show this other codec selected?

Thanks for the repply,

I am using Eset Internet Security, and a 64-bit version of the Total Commander and 'x64/Convert To' menu that appears right-clicking on a file (regardless of codec used), but nothing has been altered in any way at that point to produce different behavior. I have done some more testing, and appears that if I try to convert files using Windows Explorer 'Convert To' everything works as expected. Today I have installed latest version of Total Commander and the windows are still initially off-screen.
    Last edited by Leon4rdo; 07-03-2019 at 11:03 AM.

... some more tests. Changing encoder is working. Moving 1st (select encoder) window without moving progress window (just clicking finish button which is on the visible part of that window) produce that 4294967090/424967260 numbers from the original post. Moving progress window write to the registry different values which are, I believe, correct screen coordinates of that window. However, on the next run both windows go back to the corner. I hope this will help you somehow.
    Last edited by Leon4rdo; 07-04-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Administrator

The issues only happen if you launch from Total Commander?

Apparently, yes. The issue is that only few days before all was working without any problems at all, and as I use TC extensively this damn thing made me somewhat curious. I have some older portable versions of Total Commander lying around and with them the problem still exists. Deleting TC .ini file didn't change a thing. Though not testing with Music Converter, even in virtual machine I see some TC unusual behavior. And now I am officially confused. Some Windows update, or something, messed things around.

It is possible that the Music Converter and Total Commander without checking share some memory pointers with each other. I know that the Total Commander can have problems when working with different resolution screens because it tries to adopt to moving window from one resolution screen to another screen size wise to avoid changing program-to-display ratio. Not frequently but from time to time, as a third monitor I connect UHD or other resolution displays. Total Commander so far sorted all sizes out without problems, but it might be that it is now UHD 'stuck'. Unusual behavior reflects that the TC image lister until recent have placed new popup windows correctly regarding the image size and monitor resolution, shrinking only images that exceed monitor resolution. Now on smaller images there are borders around images that should not exist. Is it solely on Total Commander or it is related to some system dll I am not sure. So it might be that the Music Converter now centers within UHD resolution on a FHD (WUXGA in my case) monitor.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm running a fresh new install of Windows 10 on new hardware. No dedicated protective software except what comes with Windows. I'm getting the exact same issue. I just use the old alt -> space -> m -> arrow keys trick I learned on Windows 95; but it would be nice if it never happened in the first place. Sometimes, when I'm only converting less than 4 files, I can't see the converting window at all.
    I just have one screen at standard HD resolution. I seems to happen at random times. I always open the converter from the right click menu.

Administrator

Do you have total commander?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

No. I have never even heard of that before.
    I do have a program called Razer Cortex. It's supposed to focus resources to games when you activate it. Like it sets the CPU affinities so that the game running and the OS don't use the same processors. It also tries to free up as much memory as it can. Probably does some other stuff I don't know about in the name of optimization. Either way, it only does all that when I activate it, and it restores everything seemingly seamlessly when it's deactivated.
    Last edited by ForSerious; 10-16-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: JUst wanted to be more clear

Administrator

If you look in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\illustrate\

You will see values for dmc-x etc, keep an eye on them, to see what they are and if something changes them.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you. I will do that.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So I have no hard proof, but I noticed that the converter window tries to appear centralized in relation to the folder window where it was opened from. (I most always open the converter using the right click option.)
    The only program I have that might interfere with that is OldNewExplorer. It is used to fix the bad layout of Windows 10 folders.
    One.jpg
    In the attachment you can see the file details are displayed on the bottom of the folder like in Windows 7.
    Now, I've never had a problem with the converter window in that's shown in the attachment. It's always the next one (conversion progress) that randomly appears mostly out of the screen.

If something is changing the value of dmc-x in the registry, it's doing it quite often. The window appears off the screen pretty consistently when I'm converting to wav with multi-CPU force (set to 8) and run external DSPs.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think I have it figured out.
    When I open two folders, add some songs to the converter list using the right click menu. Then I go back to the other folder and add some songs to the converter list. That's when the progress window goes off the screen.

Administrator

Where abouts on the screen are your folders? what resolution is your screen?, what is the DPI set to? You only have one screen?