title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: OSX/Flac – SORT tags do not catch all values of a multivalue tag field such as Artist

OSX/Flac – SORT tags do not catch all values of a multivalue tag field such as Artist

This is my other finding after using CD Ripper OSX R16.2. Please have a look and 'd be great if you could check - many thanks!

Description:
    The Sort tag fields ALBUM ARTIST SORT, ARTIST SORT and COMPOSER SORT are activated under Configuration by ticking the boxes.

Case 1 - When in Perfect Meta Review window and when I find from the databases multiple values (i.e. names with “firstname lastname”) for ARTIST or COMPOSER or ALBUM ARTIST, or when I enter multiple names separated by “; “ myself, then:

- I next go to the Meta tab window (middle bottom of CD Ripper OSX) which to my surprise presents only the first value of the corresponding SORT field, all the others are not displayed
    - after CD ripping to FLAC the corresponding SORT field of the written FLAC tag shows that only the first value was written to the SORT field of the tag
    - (for this single value the firstname lastname in reversed order is displayed/written as it should be, so that part is ok)

Example: Filled in ARTIST=”Johannes Brahms; Franz Schubert; Frederic Chopin” then ARTIST SORT=”Brahms, Johannes” is displayed/written. The other 2 names are dropped.
    My expectation was CD Ripper should write
    ARTIST SORT=”Brahms, Johannes”
    ARTIST SORT=”Schubert, Franz”
    ARTIST SORT=”Chopin, Frederic”

Case 2 - When in Meta tab window of CD Ripper OSX and I enter multiple names into ARTIST or COMPOSER or ALBUM ARTIST then after ripping:
    - the corresponding SORT field remains empty

Case 3 - When starting the tag editor from OSX Finder and I enter multiple names into ARTIST or COMPOSER or ALBUM ARTIST then saving my edits
    - results also in no effect to the corresponding SORT field of the tag, means it's left empty.

My thinking:
    In Case 1 I think CD Ripper intent should be to write All names found in ARTIST or COMPOSER or ALBUM ARTIST to several corresponding SORT fields of the tag (reversed to “lastname, firstname”), and not only the first name.

In Cases 2 + 3 I am not sure, could have been specified like this also . However, it would be great if CD Ripper could do the same processing and automatically take all names from ARTIST, COMPOSER or ALBUM ARTIST and write these to several corresponding SORT fields within the tag. Would help to save currently needed post processing by a Tag Editor program.
    Also, right now CD Ripper seems treating SORT tags inconsistently in case of multiple values, depending on which Editor is used.

It would be even greater if there could be a review option before writing the tag. E.g. by offering a function ‘Apply’ which presents users with the tag fields content before actually writing the tag.

(I am using dBPoweramp 16.2 Reference Mac OS X and ripping to FLAC. And for tag checking I use mp3tag (Wine wrapped) program or Metadatics program)

Super Moderator

Re: OSX/Flac – SORT tags do not catch all values of a multivalue tag field such as Ar

Thanks for your feedback. I'm looking into it for the next dBpoweramp for Mac update.

Re: OSX/Flac – SORT tags do not catch all values of a multivalue tag field such as Ar

Ok.

Until then - is the assumption correct that the intended behavior is as described under Case 1?

Don’t have the option to compare the Microsoft version of CD Ripper for reference.

And, no problem to wait for your investigation.

Thanks a lot for your support!

Super Moderator

Note that we do not automatically generate the sort values as we have no way to know if the entered text can be treated as "surname name" and reversed to "surname, name".

The automatically appearing sort values come from the internet metadata providers. The meta review dialog was not making them visible until now. I'll get it changed to be more clear, perhaps make the sort values editable thru metadata preview.

I'm afraid that for now we're stuck with what the metadata providers give us. Optimally this should use some central database of artist names translating them to proper sort values, but we do not currently run such thing.

That said, our other app - PerfectTUNES - has a nice tool to clean sort values up on your collection.

Super Moderator

New beta version posted-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ion-R16-4-beta
    Changes have been made to the metadata review dialog so you can control what goes into your sort fields.