title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Apple AAC codec question

Apple AAC codec question

Hi,

i just converted a bunch of FLAC to Apple AAC with VBR Quality 111(Estimated 256kbps).
    My AAC Files show bitrates between 112 kbps and 308 kbps.
    I am fine with the higher bitrates, but 112 is definitely too low.

I thought using Apple AAC quality 111 would be similar to iTunes AAC plus. FDK VBR has the 224 kbps limit.

So: which codec should i use?
    Thank you

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Apple AAC codec question

Quote Originally Posted by pommes View Post
    i just converted a bunch of FLAC to Apple AAC with VBR Quality 111(Estimated 256kbps).
    My AAC Files show bitrates between 112 kbps and 308 kbps.
    I am fine with the higher bitrates, but 112 is definitely too low.
    No, it is not too low. You have selected VBR, variable bit rates.

Well, i can clearly hear artifacts in the lowbitrate songs, while the 256 and higher bitrates it sound pretty much transparent to me.
    I know vbr means more or less, but 112-308?

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, i can clearly hear artifacts in the lowbitrate songs, while the 256 and higher bitrates it sound pretty much transparent to me.
    I know vbr means more or less, but 112-308?
    My flacs are converted to mp3, VBR Quality -V 1 [estimated 220kbps]. I get bitrates from 59kbps to 320kbps and I have no audible issues, when listening to my iPod Classic 160Gb with Shure SE530PTH earphones.

It is the way that VBR encoders work, with fewer bits used in less busy musical sections and more bits used in busier sections.

If you aren't happy with the sound, try changing the parameters or the format.
    Last edited by mville; 11-20-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: removed the stupid hidden formatting codes

dBpoweramp Guru

What difference is there in the material, between the low and high bitrate songs?

... also, can you describe what you mean by artifacts? Try converting the one song with artifacts from the flac, using mp3 VBR Quality -V 1. Do you still hear artifacts?
    Last edited by mville; 11-20-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added another question

By artifacts i mean that the hihat and cymbals especially get that "hiss" typical mpg compression sound.
    The lowbitrate was used for "LoFi" Ska Reggae, the higher bitrates for modern Roots Reggae.
    Thanks, to try the mp3 version is a good suggestion i will try that later.
    Is there a way to force m4a vbr to use a minimum bitrate like constrained 256 but more if necessary?

dBpoweramp Guru

Is there a way to force m4a vbr to use a minimum bitrate like constrained 256 but more if necessary?
    I don't know, sorry.

dBpoweramp Guru

Which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter are you using and on what platform/OS? What version of the m4a AAC encoder are you using, as I don't see the options you have specified?

I am using DB Poweramp 16.1 on Mac High Sierra, the converter is called Apple AAC...

dBpoweramp Guru

I am using DB Poweramp 16.1 on Mac High Sierra, the converter is called Apple AAC...
    OK, I have windows dBpoweramp with the m4a FDK (AAC) encoder.

I was thinking your settings aren't optimal, but without knowing the dBpoweramp for OS X and Apple AAC encoder, I don't think I can be of much more help, at least, not with AAC.

Administrator

I do not think with VBR you can constrain the bitrate.