title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Defining 'Digitally Remastered' (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

RE: Defining 'Digitally Remastered' (help?)

Hi folks,

I wanted to ask something regarding 'Digitally Mastered' CDs, please.

If an LP (say, something from: 'The Beatles' repertoire) is released in CD format (eg. in 1999), then does format this qualify as falling under the umbrella of being: 'Digitally Remastered'? Obviously it is in a 'digital' (binary) form.

What I mean is, would it be automatically classed as: 'Digitally Remastered' simply because it is an LP which has been transferred to CD?

I always wondered if the term: 'Digitally Remastered' meant that it is the 'Digitally Remaster' of an already released CD. For example, if a 'Beatles' LP was released on CD in 1999, and then a second CD (identical in content) released in 2009, then I was thinking that it is the latter CD which has been 'Digitally Remastered'. For instance, they could have digitally enhanced the first 1999 CD release using newly available technology (hence the term: 'remastered')?

What has partly prompted this question is that I have a very small handful of duplicate CD titles (though the newest releases feature bonus material - which was my reason for purchasing it!). On the older CD cover there is no mention of it being a 'Digitally Remastered' version; but on the newer CD covers it is boldly stated loud and clear?!

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-30-2017, 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Defining 'Digitally Remastered' (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    I wanted to ask something regarding 'Digitally Mastered' CDs, please.

If an LP (say, something from: 'The Beatles' repertoire) is released in CD format (eg. in 1999), then does format this qualify as falling under the umbrella of being: 'Digitally Remastered'? Obviously it is in a 'digital' (binary) form.

What I mean is, would it be automatically classed as: 'Digitally Remastered' simply because it is an LP which has been transferred to CD?
    No. It could be digitally mastered, i.e. the original masters will be used as the source for the CD or it could be re-mastered where, the original masters will be enhanced before digitally mastering.

So, an album may be re-issued at a later date, but it does not mean it has been re-mastered.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
      No. It could be digitally mastered, i.e. the original masters will be used as the source for the CD or it could be re-mastered where, the original masters will be enhanced before digitally mastering.

So, an album may be re-issued at a later date, but it does not mean it has been re-mastered.
      Thanks mville,

Bare with me please.

So 'remastered' is not exclusively a 'digital' (world) term? I mean, if an LP was released in 1940 then could it be remastered 'analogly' in 1960 and released on LP again?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• Jailhouse
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2016

Here's some reading material:

Wikipedia: Remaster

How Stuff Works: What does 'digitally remastered' mean?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Cheers JH. I will have a read tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to understand! Thanks, Paul

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

So 'remastered' is not exclusively a 'digital' (world) term?
            Correct, but there a few studios today, that are totally analog.

I mean, if an LP was released in 1940 then could it be remastered 'analogly' in 1960 and released on LP again?
            Yes, but nowadays this is extremely rare.

Often, the original analog master tapes are transferred to the digital domain. Then, these maybe re-mastered or even re-mixed and finally the vinyl is cut from the digital masters. Just take a look at the recent packages for the Giles Martin 2017 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band release.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Often, the original analog master tapes are transferred to the digital domain. Then, these maybe re-mastered or even re-mixed and finally the vinyl is cut from the digital masters. Just take a look at the recent packages for the Giles Martin 2017 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band release.
              Cheers mville,

But I was kinda thinking in terms of literally us being in the year 1960 (as opposed to now). So would the reissue of a 1940 LP in 1960 be classed as a (analog) remaster?

Paul

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

But I was kinda thinking in terms of literally us being in the year 1960 (as opposed to now). So would the reissue of a 1940 LP in 1960 be classed as a (analog) remaster?
                Only if the 1940 master tapes were re-mastered, but how would anyone know? I doubt this info was published back then.

The way I look at these things is, if an album is re-released at a later date and I know it has been re-mastered, then I add remaster to the album otherwise, I assume it has not been re-mastered and add re-issue.

e.g. I have 2 versions of David Bowie - David Live, originally released in 1974:
                David Live (2005 Re-Issue) and David Live (2016 Remaster)
                Last edited by mville; 08-30-2017, 02:14 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

The way I look at these things is, if an album is re-released at a later date and I know it has been re-mastered, then I add remaster to the album otherwise, I assume it has not been re-mastered and add re-issue.

e.g. I have 2 versions of David Bowie - David Live, originally released in 1974:
                  David Live (2005 Re-Issue) and David Live (2016 Remaster)
                  OK, cheers mville.

So you really do make a clear distinction between a re-master and a re-issue; and this is reflected in your tagging.

Paul

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

So you really do make a clear distinction between a re-master and a re-issue; and this is reflected in your tagging.
                    Yes.

Comment

• Dat Ei
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Feb 2014

Hey Paul,

BTW: it ain't necessary and is not usual to start every topic with a leading "RE: ". In fact it's irritating 'cause "RE" stands usually for "reply".

Dat Ei

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei

BTW: it ain't necessary and is not usual to start every topic with a leading "RE: ". In fact it's irritating 'cause "RE" stands usually for "reply".
                        Hi, I always thought it meant: "with reference to"? Cheers.

Comment

• Dat Ei
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Feb 2014

Hey Paul,

it doesn't matter if it is "reply" or "reference to" - it is unusal and not common to start thread titles with "RE: ", as you can see i.e. in this forum. The topic should speak for itself.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Hi, I always thought it meant: "with reference to"? Cheers.
                            Yes, in letters and memos, but NOT in emails or forum posts.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei

it doesn't matter if it is "reply" or "reference to" - it is unusal and not common to start thread titles with "RE: ", as you can see i.e. in this forum. The topic should speak for itself.
                              OK, cheers.

Comment

Working...

]]>