title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

R.I.P. DTT3500 Digital (Speakers)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RossRoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2003

R.I.P. DTT3500 Digital (Speakers)

Last night, my old Cambridge Soundworks set of speakers died on me. They were the DTT3500 Digital (5.1 with integrated Dolby Digital decoder) model and were really nice. I don't know what happened but I checked all wiring, plugged/unplugged numerous times, nothing could be done. All I was getting from it was static. I guess the amp must've fried or something.

But tonight! I just got myself a brand new set of Logitech Z680 THX Certified 5.1 speakers with Dolby Digital and DTS decoder and boy! For less than 300$ they pack a punch! I still have not tried the Dolby nor the DTS decoder yet, but on my little Audigy soundcard, it sounds really nice! And it's only on analog output, I have not yet bought the Coax adaptor for it (and I may not even go buy it, they sound just as nice as is).

Anyway, for anyone looking for a nice 5.1 solution that's got a lot of punch (used in a small to medium room that is) it is really great!
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: R.I.P. DTT3500 Digital (Speakers)

hmmm.... yummy i see THX on some dvd's and it sounds great. let us know the end result

droool: http://www.thx.com/

Comment

• RossRoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2003

They sound really great! I'm awed! I thought I had a decent solution, boy does this beats those DTT3500 down to crap! My music has never sounded so rich and "wide", and that's just by using the "Stereo x2" effect (surround speakers play exactly the same as the front speaker).

The only gripe, and that's not really problem in itself, is that the sub is too loud! I still haven't found the "sweet" spot where it booms just right, I'll have to move it around a little, seeing as now it is in the corner of the room under a desk. Can you imagine the bass coming out of that? Guess I'll have to move it aside or something. But like I said, better to have a sub that's too loud and be able to lower it than have a weak one you can't pump up enough!

I still can't get a comparison between DTS and DD going seeing as in my whole library, I didn't see a single disc with the DTS track showing much difference from the DD track.. I must be deaf Actually I am, to certain frequencies, but that's another matter!

Anyway, for anyone looking for a nice set of speakers to go along your Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, PC ou DVD player (assuming the room is not too big), I recommend the Z680 without hesitation! To me, it must be the most well spent 300$ for a sound system!

P.S.: I DO know it can't compete with expensive home theater sound, but it's a worthy contender in it's price range!

Comment

• RossRoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2003

More info on the Z680

Comment

• Unregistered

Hey man, did you ever find out what was wrong with your DTT 3500? I, too, have been going mad trying to figure it out what the hell the problem is. I have taken it apart and put it back together a million times - even soldered on a new capacitor at one point. I don't have the cash to buy another system, so I would really appreciate anything you may have found out. Thanks either way.

Mike

Comment

• RossRoy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2003

I had to change 2 of those current regulator thingies (sorry don't know the english name for them, and anyway, I can't remember the french name either! lol). I have a friend that's been fixing amps and sound systems for avoer 20 years. He used an oscillator, and the current didn't have a nice smooth curve, so the amps wasn't getting clean electricity. I changed those 2 and all is right now. I gave them to my sister and she watches her DVD with it.

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks a LOT man, esp for the fast response. I'll check mine out and see if that helps. Thanks again man - take care!

Comment

• ferris209
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2003

Hmm, I've been looking for new speakers for my system, I just have a peiced togther Compaq factory setup with some aftermarket sub. After having got an Audigy Platnium Pro ZS last year, I think its time I get some speakers to compliment it. I'll check my options on those you bought.

Comment

• ferris209
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2003

After much research, price comparisons, and personal debate, I took the dive and bought me a set of Logitech Z680 Speakers. I found tons of websites that marked the set as "Speakers of the year". The cheapest, brand new, set I could find was at Amazon.com for $242.00 US dollars, signed, sealed, and delivered. I can't wait for them to get here now, Amazon guesses delivery about June 10th. Happy birthday to me!

Brandon

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

happy birthday! a nice gift to yourself i must say.:D

The only gripe, and that's not really problem in itself, is that the sub is too loud!
                    you shouldn't really be able to tell where the subwoofer sound is comming from. as subwoofers permeate subhearing sound that's multiplied to hearing level which intern disguises the direction of where the sound is comming from , making it sound everywhere.

well at least that's how my sony sounds SWA-10G :D

Comment

• ferris209
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2003

Hey Ross,
                      I'm having a problem with my z680 and Audigy 2 ZS setup. It sounds really great when I am playing CD's, DVD's, and all that stuff. But everytime I try to run a speaker test from the Crative software, it never regonzises the Center, either rear, or the sub. I'm having complete heck with the THX setup console, everytime I calibrate it, it never sticks, it keeps telling me that my speakers are 10 feet away, when I input 2 feet. IS yours giving this much probs?

Comment

• RossRoy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by ferris209
                        Hey Ross,
                        I'm having a problem with my z680 and Audigy 2 ZS setup. It sounds really great when I am playing CD's, DVD's, and all that stuff. But everytime I try to run a speaker test from the Crative software, it never regonzises the Center, either rear, or the sub. I'm having complete heck with the THX setup console, everytime I calibrate it, it never sticks, it keeps telling me that my speakers are 10 feet away, when I input 2 feet. IS yours giving this much probs?
                        I don't think I have that much problem with mine.. But then, I don't have the THX setup console, I'm guessing it comes with the Audigy 2 ZS?

I'm running my Z680 on an Audigy 1 standard sound card using analog direct connect (the 3 wires, 1x front, 1x rear, 1x center/sub) and I just tell Windows I have a 5.1 setup and that's it. Like I said, I don't have the THX setup console, so I can't help you there..

Are you using digital (optical or coax) or analog connection to your speaker? I know I've had a problem with the system where the soundblaster drivers kept reverting back to a 2.0 stereo speaker setup, I'd have to change it manually after each reboot. What I ended up doing is install the creative drivers without all the config softwares (Surround mixer, AudioHQ, etc.), I installed only the windows drivers, and now I set the speaker configurations manually diretly from Windows. It also got me rid of the CTHelper process.

Comment

• ferris209
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2003

Yeah, I have the Audigy 2 ZS Platnium Pro. I am running optical. I'm having the same problem, every re-boot tells the CPU that it is 2.1 instead of 5.1. I am at work right now. When I get home, I believe I am going to completely un-install the drivers for the Audigy and re-install them. I hate to get rid of all the Creative extras though, so I'll just get rid of the Driver and re-install with all the updates. I hope it works!

Brandon

Comment

• RossRoy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2003

I've always had, as a motto, to only install what I actually use from the Creative drivers.. I'd say install only the drivers and the THX Setup Console, maybe that'll help fixing your problem.

Comment

• ferris209
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2003

Well, the only things I don't use is the Creative DVD player and that mediasource program. I'll try to go in without those two.

Comment

Working...

]]>