title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Thanks for stayin' with me, Gary. I followed the 'IMPORT THEME' steps now. The foobar GUI has changed somewhat (I take it that's correct):

I am not going to 'IMPORT MUSIC LIBRARY' as yet because - well - I don't have any music! And I am not importing 'WMA' from my old external-HD. I can't wait till the day I wipe all them dodgy compressed mp3s off!

btw - I received a PM from Mr. Spoon (not sure what time it was sent) saying that a max. of 20 x PNGs can be uploaded before the moderating actions come into play. After which, you can upload another 20 x images, I guess. Probably all outlined in the forum 'guidelines' which I should read sometime!
    I can see the pics now. And yes, the theme import worked just fine and looks correct. Once you configure a library location, the top section will populate with artists, albums, etc. and allow you to sort on anything you want in those boxes (by genre, by artist, by date modified, etc.). This sorting is the value of the FACETS component. You click on the title heading of each of those columns (ALBUM or ALBUM ARTIST or GENRE etc. and the column will automatically sort from A...Z, click again and it will sort from Z...A.)

Try this too (this will show you how you can add specific playlists and save them). I know you like jazz, so this is an internet radio jazz radio list. Save the file from here:

Then in foobar, click on the playlist tab in upper left (yours shows only default now). Then in menu, click FILE, then LOAD PLAYLIST. Then select the above file you just downloaded. Then "OPEN". Now you should see "JazzRadio" as a playlist. Click on this and you'll see 4 radio stations on the right. Click on any of these and then click play to start (over simply double click any of these station names and it will start playing automatically).
    Last edited by garym; 08-13-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      ... 7. in foobar2000 menu, click on LIBRARY, then CONFIGURE. Under "music folders" click "add", then browse to the top level directory (folder) of the directory on your computer holding all your music files (e.g., C:\music). Then click "Apply" then OK. It may take a while to read all your music files into the library. (well, it does for my ~100,000 tracks anyhow.)
      Thanks Gary. I followed your kind directions. I just ripped and imported 3 x CDs; just to get the ball rolling. Only took seconds to scan as there are only 3 x CDs on my external-HD at present. It all looks OK to me?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Library_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	293488

Name:	Library_2.png
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	293489
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-13-2017, 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Try this too (this will show you how you can add specific playlists and save them). I know you like jazz, so this is an internet radio jazz radio list. Save the file from here:
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../JazzRadio.fpl
        Hi Gary, Great, cheers! I will take a look at those other kind pointers in due course. I have just d/l the DropBox file for laters. Paul

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Thanks Gary. I followed your kind directions. I just ripped and imported 3 x CDs; just to get the ball rolling. Only took seconds to scan as there are only 3 x CDs on my external-HD at present. It all looks OK to me?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1535[/ATTACH]
          usually takes a day before your pics become viewable. Under playlists on upper left, you should see an item "library selection". If you click this, on the right you should see everything populate in the columns (album, genre, codec, etc.)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

... and here is foobar finally in action! It's a far cry from lousy 'WMP'!:

Name:	Library_3.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	293490

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

usually takes a day before your pics become viewable. Under playlists on upper left, you should see an item "library selection". If you click this, on the right you should see everything populate in the columns (album, genre, codec, etc.)
              Cheers Gary. It's actually in the top-right. There are two options/settings:

Name:	Library_4.png
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	293491

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Cheers Gary. It's actually in the top-right. There are two options/settings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1537[/ATTACH]
                Yes, top right it shows too, but also at upper LEFT there is a box with tabs. One is Playlist, one is Audio Information, one is ALBUM list, etc. On that box, click the playlist tab and you should see "Library Selection" show up underneath (as well as default, and you'll see jazzradio when you add that playlist).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Yes, top right it shows too, but also at upper LEFT there is a box with tabs. One is Playlist, one is Audio Information, one is ALBUM list, etc. On that box, click the playlist tab and you should see "Library Selection" show up underneath (as well as default, and you'll see jazzradio when you add that playlist).
                  Got it now thanks. Yes, they all play fine! Cheers.

Name:	radio.png
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	293492

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                    Once you've got a good naming scheme, and I do think more people, could get going quicker, with more choices in default naming strings, seeing how the files display on your player, or Foobar2000, is essential.

We tend to focus far too much, on how folders look, in a Windows environment, rather than how, Foobar, or your player, handles the files. The fact you have a thread on different players, again with screenshots, continues your journey, and shows how the earlier decisions, affect how we locate, display, and play the music we want.
                    Hi Oggy, Thanks very much. Well I do hope that this thread and screengrabs might be of use to any newbies tryin' to learn from scratch. I was thinking that this thread has actually kinda' jumped around a bit and incorporated many aspects of 'dBpa'. In hindsight, perhaps I should have split this into 3 or 4 threads. But at the time I had no idea how long I would be spending on here and also the amazing amount of helpful replies! Foobar seems very good so far. I do need to look into the button-sizes more and also maybe choose a new 'skin'; but that's for later down the road. Paul
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-13-2017, 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Now that I can see your pictures, just confirming that all looks exactly as it should.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Now that I can see your pictures, just confirming that all looks exactly as it should.
                        Gary, great stuff. Thanks for confirming.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Hi Gary,

I may want to install foobar on a second PC. Do you still have the dropbox file you shared with me earlier this month, please?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Hi Gary,

I may want to install foobar on a second PC. Do you still have the dropbox file you shared with me earlier this month, please?

Thanks,

Paul
                            Follow the same steps up to "import theme" on your current install. Then instead choose "export theme" and you'll have the file to import on another install. Otherwise remind me after Thursday when I'm back home.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Follow the same steps up to "import theme" on your current install. Then instead choose "export theme" and you'll have the file to import on another install. Otherwise remind me after Thursday when I'm back home.
                              OK, cheers Gary. No push; it can wait til the weekend. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Gary, I installed Foobar on a second PC but have not as yet personalized it in any way. Thanks, Paul

Comment

Working...

]]>