title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Questions: hard drive file organization - file formats - music manager

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • douggoss
    • Feb 2009

Questions: hard drive file organization - file formats - music manager

I just had a new pc built and have a drive dedicated to only music. As I started to transfer files from my current pc a few questions hit me:

1. File organization - I currently have music spread over 2 discs in the following folders:
    MUSIC - contains the FLAC files ripped from my CD collection.
    CD'S CONVERTED TO APPLE LOSSLESS - those cd's I have converted to put on my iPhone. Within files are organized by Artist then Album (the same for all folders)
    CD'S RIPPED FLAC -same as MUSIC - had to move to a second disc as I filled the first one up
    DOUGS DIGITAL which then contains folders for each of the various digital services I have purchased from (Apple, iTunes, Concert Vault) - all mp3 files.
    When I move everything to the new pc, I am thinking there should be a better way to organize the files?

2. File Format - currently I have ripped all my cd collection (but needs cleaned up in some cases) to FLAC. Then, when I want to put it on the iPhone I convert the FLAC to ALAC.
    Not a long process but I think I am duplication efforts and file space. Is there a difference in the lossless FLAC and ALAC files? Is there a reason not to just convert everything to ALAC as opposed to FLAC?

3. Music Manager - I am not a fan of iTunes so I "manage" my collection using an Excel spreadsheet. Not really reliable and only goes to Artist and Album level but has been work getting ~2000 cd's on there.
    I originally built it as I was buying cd's I already had as I had forgotten I purchased them. And, it seems like several years ago when I started this, some of the alternate music managers would do MP3 files but not FLAC
    and I wanted something to account for all my music. Would like a recommendation on a good music manager to do this (MediaMonkey, Music Bee, etc...)

Thanks!
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Questions: hard drive file organization - file formats - music manager

how do you use the iphone music? For example, I create mp3 lossy files for use on my iphones/ipads, but this is for portable use on airplanes, gym, etc. Not critical listening. I use FLAC in my home system.

FLAC vs ALAC - either is fine (lossless is lossless). However, one big potential issue is that FLAC has built in CRC checking (so one can easily run a batch program to test the integrity of 250,000 FLAC files with a couple of mouse clicks.) ALAC does NOT have this built in CRC, so this ability to check for bad files is not there. This is a very useful thing (e.g., copying all your music to a new backup harddrive....when done, you can check the integrity easily of the FLAC files...)

for portables, I use itunes
    for home system, I use Logitech Media Server (because I use squeezebox system) or foobar2000 on PCs.

Comment

Working...

]]>