title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    39

    Unhappy "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    In March or April of last year, I began experiencing a problem when ripping CDs with dBpa to iTunes. The files that were being directed to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder were not then being sent to their respective libraries' "Music" folder & were not displaying in the libraries. Instead, they were accumulating in the auto add folder & had to be manually moved to the library & deleted from the folder. Eventually, I solved the problem by installing an earlier version of iTunes. Well, a problem with that function is occurring again. Only this time the music files per se are not being added to the auto add folder. Instead, a subfolder named "Not Added" is created & under it are date & time named subfolders that contain files I don't recognize. There is one for each song title & it has a dog-eared blank page in front of it. Today, hoping that it would correct the problem, I uninstalled the earlier iTunes version I was using & installed the current version. But this had no effect. An odd thing is that I noticed the problem last week around the time I purchased the dBpa update. I realize that this is a correlation, not cause & effect. In any case, has anyone experienced the same or a similar malfunction recently? & were they able to correct it? Thanks in advance.

    Bill S

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    Hey Bill,

    iTunes moves the files to the folder named "Not Added" - it is not dBpa. Please do not start or just quit iTunes before you start ripping to the folder "Automatically Add to iTunes". Otherwise iTunes tries immediately to move the files into your iTunes folder structur, although these files are not finished or even temporarily.


    Dat Ei

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    39

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Bill,

    iTunes moves the files to the folder named "Not Added" - it is not dBpa. Please do not start or just quit iTunes before you start ripping to the folder "Automatically Add to iTunes". Otherwise iTunes tries immediately to move the files into your iTunes folder structur, although these files are not finished or even temporarily.


    Dat Ei
    Dat Ei,

    Thanks for the reply. Your comment about quitting iTunes right after or just before the dBpa rip is executed might be an explanation if the problem were occurring occasionally, but it is happening on every rip in 4 out of 5 libraries. The process is not happening correctly with the fifth library, but the problem there is different & more or less manageable. I have spent hours on the phone consulting with an iTunes support specialist, as well as hours exchanging emails with one of the senior gurus at the iTunes support forum to no avail. In the end they only say that, if the iTunes CD import process is working correctly & ripping with dBpa is not, the source of the problem must lie with dBpa. I am advised to contact the dBpa developers & use iTunes to import content. All I can say is, I don't think so, & explain again why dBpa is better. But is anyone else experiencing a similar breakdown while ripping to iTunes? I would sure like to hear from them, particularly if they found a solution.

    Thanks again.

    Bill

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,432

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    As a test, rip with dbpa with a destination other than the "add to itunes folder". That is, rip to some c:\tempmusic folder. Wait until you've done a batch of rips and all is done. Then copy these newly ripped folders of ripped files over to the "add to itunes folder". As with Dat Ei, I suspect that itunes is trying to add/move the files while dbpa is still finishing some of the work on the ripped files and this confuses itunes.

    p.s. in my own ripping process, I always rip to a "tempmusic" directory, make sure I'm happy with everything (tags, redoing replaygain values for multidisk sets, etc.). Then when happy, I move the folders to my main music library location.
    EDIT: and why is dbpa better. It is a secure ripper that makes sure you are getting bit perfect rips. Itunes does NOT do this. Most people don't care about this or even understand it. But people that care about bit perfect rips always seem to use either dbpa or EAC.....never itunes!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    39

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    As a test, rip with dbpa with a destination other than the "add to itunes folder". That is, rip to some c:\tempmusic folder. Wait until you've done a batch of rips and all is done. Then copy these newly ripped folders of ripped files over to the "add to itunes folder". As with Dat Ei, I suspect that itunes is trying to add/move the files while dbpa is still finishing some of the work on the ripped files and this confuses itunes.

    p.s. in my own ripping process, I always rip to a "tempmusic" directory, make sure I'm happy with everything (tags, redoing replaygain values for multidisk sets, etc.). Then when happy, I move the folders to my main music library location.
    EDIT: and why is dbpa better. It is a secure ripper that makes sure you are getting bit perfect rips. Itunes does NOT do this. Most people don't care about this or even understand it. But people that care about bit perfect rips always seem to use either dbpa or EAC.....never itunes!
    Thank you. I'll try what you suggest & report back the result.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    39

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    As a test, rip with dbpa with a destination other than the "add to itunes folder". That is, rip to some c:\tempmusic folder. Wait until you've done a batch of rips and all is done. Then copy these newly ripped folders of ripped files over to the "add to itunes folder". As with Dat Ei, I suspect that itunes is trying to add/move the files while dbpa is still finishing some of the work on the ripped files and this confuses itunes.

    p.s. in my own ripping process, I always rip to a "tempmusic" directory, make sure I'm happy with everything (tags, redoing replaygain values for multidisk sets, etc.). Then when happy, I move the folders to my main music library location.
    EDIT: and why is dbpa better. It is a secure ripper that makes sure you are getting bit perfect rips. Itunes does NOT do this. Most people don't care about this or even understand it. But people that care about bit perfect rips always seem to use either dbpa or EAC.....never itunes!
    I did as you suggested & more. Using dBpa, the music files were successfully ripped to the temp music folder & I was able to import them from there to another media player (JRiver Media Center). From there I could play them. I tried everything I could think of. Once, when I copied the music files from the temp music folder to the &*8220;Automatically Add to iTunes&*8221; subfolder, they appeared in the iTunes Library & were playable. But I was unable to replicate that success. Otherwise, nothing worked. I erased the "Not Added" folder repeatedly but it reappeared each time I ripped or copied to the auto add folder, and even when I tried to bypass it by ripping or copying directly to the Music folder. It appears to me like iTunes is deliberately blocking third-party music ripping to its libraries. The only thing that keeps me tethered to iTunes is knowing that it will correctly sync my iPod Classics with the respective libraries. The one time I attempted a sync with JRiver all of the album art on the device was erased. I am new to this software & probably missed something. Anyway, I am disgusted. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,649

    Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by iGowanus68 View Post
    I did as you suggested & more. Using dBpa, the music files were successfully ripped to the temp music folder & I was able to import them from there to another media player (JRiver Media Center). From there I could play them. I tried everything I could think of. Once, when I copied the music files from the temp music folder to the &*8220;Automatically Add to iTunes&*8221; subfolder, they appeared in the iTunes Library & were playable. But I was unable to replicate that success. Otherwise, nothing worked. I erased the "Not Added" folder repeatedly but it reappeared each time I ripped or copied to the auto add folder, and even when I tried to bypass it by ripping or copying directly to the Music folder. It appears to me like iTunes is deliberately blocking third-party music ripping to its libraries. The only thing that keeps me tethered to iTunes is knowing that it will correctly sync my iPod Classics with the respective libraries. The one time I attempted a sync with JRiver all of the album art on the device was erased. I am new to this software & probably missed something. Anyway, I am disgusted. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
    Rip your CDs to a different folder, not the Automatically Add to iTunes folder.

    Then in iTunes, use the File menu >> Add Folder to Library... option.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •