I am not certain if my multi-threaded quotes will show up here, but. Here is my system as it currently stands:

I have managed to successfully install R16.1 as a 32-bit program, but it is now (for some reason) installed in the 64-bit location; I have also managed to successfully install the CD-Writer 3.1, and both function exactly as intended. I ultimately managed this by following the "32 Bit" installation instructions from the R15 thread, then reinstalling everything as described there.

This has had the results I originally mentioned - everything works, everything is 32-bit, everything is in the 64 bit location. So, Bob's Your Uncle, it works for some reason.