title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

I must be missing something...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TenuredAudiophi
    • Jun 2015

Re: I must be missing something...

Originally posted by szhosain
    Good to know that - thanks! I have not bought anything from Pono yet, but may do so for the albums I do not have in CD form already.

Am still waiting for my player and headphones to do the comprehensive comparison.

Z
    Ha. Pono is a mobile triangle shaped device from Niel Young's company. and not worth it. Am I the only one who saw him with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show demonstrating it? Its NOT good for home use, only for headphones, and is $400usd. No.

The Cocktail Audio starts at $600~700. No No.

I received mine from China (see previous threads) but they sent me the wrong one with optical out only and the medium DAC chip. They are actually sending me the best DAC chip and board to internally replace what I have now. Except for a smaller text only display, I have high hopes. Will report here results when I get it. It is "only" $150~$180usd which is about where any good home DAC for 24/96 should be priced.

This issue still remains though what's the point in ripping any CD to 24/96 or 24/196 using DBPowerAmp, or buying tracks or albums from HDTracks.com when it's still completely hit and miss on what the result will be. No one can actually determine what your CD mastering or factory burning is, and I have to agree STILL: DBPowerAmp ripping just makes huge files from the crappy compressed lossy CDs, and NOT true lossless hi-def 24/96~196 tracks.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TenuredAudiophi
      This issue still remains though what's the point in ripping any CD to 24/96 or 24/196 using DBPowerAmp, or buying tracks or albums from HDTracks.com when it's still completely hit and miss on what the result will be.
      If by CD, you mean 16-bit/44.1kHz redbook audio CD, there is no point ripping to any higher resolutions as nothing is gained. This has and always will be the case for such CDs. As far as I am aware, no-one on this forum, who understands the principles involved here, has ever recommended doing so.

As for buying hi-res tracks from HDTracks, you have to trust that HDTracks are selling true hi-res audio. It would be illegal for HDTracks to advertise and sell The Rolling Stones 24-bit/88.2kHz masters, if they turned out to be upsampled 16-bit/44.1kHz masters.

DBPowerAmp ripping just makes huge files from the crappy compressed lossy CDs, and NOT true lossless hi-def 24/96~196 tracks.
      Firstly, please can explain what you mean by compressed lossy CDs?

Secondly, where and when has it ever been claimed that dBpoweramp can rip CDs to true hi-res?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Well put, mville.

This issue still remains though what's the point in ripping any CD to 24/96 or 24/196 using DBPowerAmp, or buying tracks or albums from HDTracks.com when it's still completely hit and miss on what the result will be. No one can actually determine what your CD mastering or factory burning is, and I have to agree STILL: DBPowerAmp ripping just makes huge files from the crappy compressed lossy CDs, and NOT true lossless hi-def 24/96~196 tracks.
        You seem determined to generate an argument where there is none. And berate dBp and its users because electronics companies don't make the exact product you want to buy at the unrealistic price you want to pay. Oh yeah....and something about how HDTracks sucks....

No one here has told you to rip any redbook CD to 24/96 or 24/196. Nobody cares whether you choose to buy anything from HDTracks or not....don't if you don't want to, and complain to them if you have an irrepressible need to rail on about their offerings. Finally....again....you either don't understand what redbook CDs are nor the purpose of lossless ripping, or you're willfully ignoring factual information in an effort to create a straw man argument to troll this forum. Normally, the helpful community here would assume the former and try to help you understand, but you don't seem interested in understanding. If you understood what dBp is for and what it does, you'd realize it has nothing to do with your personal issues with CDs and HDTracks and the electronics industry.

Comment

• TenuredAudiophi
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BrodyBoy
          Well put, mville.

You seem determined to generate an argument where there is none. And berate dBp and its users because electronics companies don't make the exact product you want to buy at the unrealistic price you want to pay. Oh yeah....and something about how HDTracks sucks....

No one here has told you to rip any redbook CD to 24/96 or 24/196. Nobody cares whether you choose to buy anything from HDTracks or not....don't if you don't want to, and complain to them if you have an irrepressible need to rail on about their offerings. Finally....again....you either don't understand what redbook CDs are nor the purpose of lossless ripping, or you're willfully ignoring factual information in an effort to create a straw man argument to troll this forum. Normally, the helpful community here would assume the former and try to help you understand, but you don't seem interested in understanding. If you understood what dBp is for and what it does, you'd realize it has nothing to do with your personal issues with CDs and HDTracks and the electronics industry.
          Youre the one trolling. Every point and question Ive made is not only valid, but represents the same questions and issues that my fellow tenured audiophiles have ask and and used common sense about from day 1. YOU have not followed this thread nor read every single post, obviously.

Also, as the date of this reply, it is now illegal to rip any music for any purpose in the UK. Thank god Im not in the UK. There is still no point what-so-ever in ripping any commercially mass produced lossy CD using dBp to a faux (fake) lossless 24/96~196. See previous posts.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

There is still no point what-so-ever in ripping any commercially mass produced lossy CD using dBp to a faux (fake) lossless 24/96~196. See previous posts.
            You're the one that is having trouble following the thread. As you've been told several times, no one at this forum suggests that one should rip a commercial CD (that is, a Redbook standard, 16/44.1 CD) to hi-res. We all agree that doing such a thing makes absolutely no sense. Converting a 16/44.1 CD to 24/96 or 24/192, etc. is simply a waste of space and doesn't turn a 16/44.1 CD magically into a hi-res file.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Every point and question Ive made is not only valid, but represents the same questions and issues that my fellow tenured audiophiles have ask and and used common sense about from day 1. YOU have not followed this thread nor read every single post, obviously.

Also, as the date of this reply, it is now illegal to rip any music for any purpose in the UK. Thank god Im not in the UK. There is still no point what-so-ever in ripping any commercially mass produced lossy CD using dBp to a faux (fake) lossless 24/96~196. See previous posts.
              I'll ask again. What do you and your fellow tenured audiophiles mean by commercially mass produced lossy CDs?

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

The music from the original master version have already been wrecked converting it into MP3 for mass production into CDs. Ripping into FLAC or AIFF from a CD would DO NOTHING for quality since the CD source is already low quality and compressed wayyyy down.
                Just to be clear, please can you give an example of an album where the original master has been converted to MP3 for mass production onto CD?

In my experience of music production this is NOT common practice and to suggest so would be irresponsible and mis-guided.
                Last edited by mville; 07-21-2015, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                  In my experience of music production this is NOT common practice and to suggest so would be irresponsible and mis-guided.
                  ...and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what's on a redbook CD. TenuredAudiophile seems to miss the difference between CD audio, a lossy file (such as mp3), and a high-res file (such as 24/96; 24/192). Commercial CDs are 16-bit linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz. This is very different from a lossy mp3. Here's a starting primer for him.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
                    ...and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what's on a redbook CD. TenuredAudiophile seems to miss the difference between CD audio, a lossy file (such as mp3), and a high-res file (such as 24/96; 24/192). Commercial CDs are 16-bit linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz. This is very different from a lossy mp3.
                    Indeed.

I'm not entirely sure why he keeps banging on here about dBpoweramp not being able to convert lo-res audio files to true hi-res audio, when the concept/possibilities do not exist, except in his head.

I've tried to understand what he is talking about, but he seems reluctant to answer any of my questions. It may be time for me to walk away from this thread.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                      I've tried to understand what he is talking about, but he seems reluctant to answer any of my questions. It may be time for me to walk away from this thread.
                      Agree. This thread is a dead end. He drops by once a week with nonsensical responses. We've at least done our duty of clarification/correction for any others that happen to stumble upon this thread.

Comment

Working...

]]>