title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

mp3PRO other bitrates ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Jester
    • Aug 2002

mp3PRO other bitrates ???

Hi everyone,

The mp3PRO format is really good, you can divide the size of your mp3 by 2 (just by dividing the mp3's bitrate by 2), without losing quality.

A normal mp3 of CD-quality has a bitrate of 192 kbps.
    The mp3PRO CD-Quality has a bitrate of 96 kbps.

You can even reduce the quality of your mp3 (32 kbps) and place it onto a floppy!

The problem is that the codec purposed by dbPowerAmp is locked to a 64 kbps encoder, since it uses the Thomson external encoder.

=>It would be great that dbPowerAmp develops its own mp3PRO encoder, on which the bitrate could be changed.

Thank U.

Blue Jester
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: mp3PRO other bitrates ???

The best I can do is release a plug-in for Neros mp3PRO codec, hopefully in the next few weeks.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Blue Jester
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Spoon
      The best I can do is release a plug-in for Neros mp3PRO codec, hopefully in the next few weeks.
      You mean you'll release a plug-in for dbpoweramp that will require nero's mp3pro plugin ? that would be great!

Thanks

The Jester

Comment

• Tomb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2003

As stated on the linked page No codec delivers the marketing plot of same quality as MP3 at half the bitrates.

View the test results for yourself and look at the results between Lame at 128 kbs and MP3 Pro at 64 kbs.

Originally posted by Blue Jester
        Hi everyone,

The mp3PRO format is really good, you can divide the size of your mp3 by 2 (just by dividing the mp3's bitrate by 2), without losing quality.

A normal mp3 of CD-quality has a bitrate of 192 kbps.
        The mp3PRO CD-Quality has a bitrate of 96 kbps.

You can even reduce the quality of your mp3 (32 kbps) and place it onto a floppy!

The problem is that the codec purposed by dbPowerAmp is locked to a 64 kbps encoder, since it uses the Thomson external encoder.

=>It would be great that dbPowerAmp develops its own mp3PRO encoder, on which the bitrate could be changed.

Thank U.

Blue Jester

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

I was about to ask the same question, Spoon. Happy New Year, and please let us know if and when you do this.
          Thanks,
          Arnie

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

When that was written the codec for Nero was in testing, it works for Neros mp4 codec, but crashes for the mp3pro :(
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• adaywayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Tomb
              As stated on the linked page No codec delivers the marketing plot of same quality as MP3 at half the bitrates.

View the test results for yourself and look at the results between Lame at 128 kbs and MP3 Pro at 64 kbs.

http://audio.ciara.us/test/64test/results.html

Well, I would conclude from those data (see the last plot.....the most important one) that mp3PRO at average 69Kbps is not statistically inferior (from listening tests) to Lame at an average 125Kbps. The 95% confidence intervals overlap considerably.
              Arnie

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

When that was written the codec for Nero was in testing, it works for Neros mp4 codec, but crashes for the mp3pro :(
                What about the MusicMatch plug-in? That does allow encoding options up to 96Kbps. Is there any way I can copy that plug-in into the proper folder in DAC?
                Arnie

Comment

• Tomb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by adaywayne
                  Well, I would conclude from those data (see the last plot.....the most important one) that mp3PRO at average 69Kbps is not statistically inferior (from listening tests) to Lame at an average 125Kbps. The 95% confidence intervals overlap considerably.
                  Arnie
                  You could say that but the testing concluded differently. The first (obvious) conclusion is: No codec delivers the marketing plot of same quality as MP3 at half the bitrates.

MP3pro has had it's day. It has been supercedeed on the development of AAC HE (nero's Codec) since those tests and Quick Time (I-tunes) will be following suit. The aotUV fork of vorbis also performs well at the lower bitrates and the tuings have been incorporated into the latest official release. Again positive changes since that test!

I still don't know of any portable player that supports mp3 pro either which would be a big plus in it's favour.

But hey! Each to their own.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

There are some RCA portable players that support mp3PRO, but it's too proprietary for my tastes. I used Musicmatch to encode my files to mp3PRO for a while, but have since switched to Ogg Vorbis, as they sound better and are going to be supported for a while.

But hey, if your happy with mp3PRO, stick with it.
                    Also, for better results, if you convert with MusicMatch, make it mp3PRO VBR and set the quality to about 50%. The bitrate actually goes above the "maximum" of 128kbps according to Winamp.

Comment

• adaywayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Tomb
                      You could say that but the testing concluded differently. The first (obvious) conclusion is: No codec delivers the marketing plot of same quality as MP3 at half the bitrates.

I'm sorry, the test may be a "good marketing plot....or ploy" but the results (of the ANOVA analysis) do not prove what is claimed

MP3pro has had it's day.

Maybe, maybe not. That was not my point, however.

I still don't know of any portable player that supports mp3 pro either which would be a big plus in it's favour.

There are several.

But hey! Each to their own.
                      But of course. At the moment I favor OGG!
                      Arnie

Comment

• Tomb
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2003

Thanks for the pointers about the RCA players.

As you are both ogg users, and if you want to try aoTuV, the homepage is at http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/index.html

There has been another release since the beta 2 tunings were incorporated into the 1.1.0 official release..

Comment

• adaywayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2004

I see I have been promoted in the dBPowerAmp club. Actually, I've been a member much longer than indicated. But if you accidentally delete the dBPA cookie the "Counter" apparently starts over.

Incidentally, in another forum I have remained a "Virgin Techie" for over a year. Since I've been around for 70 years, I'm looking forward to being told when, where, and with whom I shall lose that title!
                          Arnie

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
                            I see I have been promoted in the dBPowerAmp club. Actually, I've been a member much longer than indicated. But if you accidentally delete the dBPA cookie the "Counter" apparently starts over.
                            The post and join date should actually be stored on the server.

Comment

• adaywayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                              The post and join date should actually be stored on the server.
                              Very odd then. I've been posting in the dBPA forum for well over one year. But it's not really important.
                              Arnie

Comment

Working...

]]>