title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Request for added features in Replay Gain DSP's

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schmidj
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2013

Request for added features in Replay Gain DSP's

Since I have been using the Replay Gain DSP set to use -18 LUFS, i continue to be surprised at the number of tracks that the DSP reports are not able to be adjusted to -18LUFS, as it would drive the peaks into clipping. There are several issues:

First, the report of the replay gain DSP shows up in the information log at the end of the rip, but appears not to be saved in the filed copy I save of the rip report. Furthermore, I am using the multi-encoder to FLAC and AAC, in different directories, and the rip report is only saved in the FLAC directories (the first encoder). I suspect that the information from other DSP's is not being saved in the report as well. It would be highly desirable to save this information with the rip report, and to have the option to save it with each encoding when using the multi-encoder. Perhaps this option should be another DSP for the encoder rather than or in addition to being in the secure rip setup options.

Second, even in the on-screen report, all it says is that it wasn't able to fully apply the DSP. It would be highly desirable if it reported, both on-screen and in the saved log, what the calculated loudness of the track (with the replay gain applied) is. If it misses by a dB or two, not to worry. 10 dB, well not good.

Third, how is the DSP determining what it calls "clipping"? Two or more consecutive samples at 0dBFS? Some number based on the possibility of oversampling or filtering generating a "between sample" result above 0dBFS or the analog equivalent possibly clipping? Or some more conservative maximum allowed peak level? This is still a very controversial subject in the pro audio community. At the major broadcast network I designed audio systems for, our delivery spec failed any peaks above -6dBFS (with a target max loudness of -23 LUFS +- 2), but that is for the different audio level standards we used in the professional world, and is not appropriate for the consumer world as it now exists.

I am particularly surprised at seeing so many tracks like this, assuming the clipping message is triggered by some peak level very near 0dBFS, as the EBU (I recall) is now recommending that consumer loudness normalization aim at -14LUFS, 4 dB hotter than the -18 setting I (and I suspect many other dBPoweramp users) am using. -18 is a quite conservative setting.

Now, the second part of the wish list: to provide an option to provide/apply (as chosen) replay gain normalization adjustment that fully applies, but soft limits (not clips) the peaks that would otherwise clip. It would be really nice if the report said at how many minutes/seconds into the track each limiting episode occurred (as the silence detector DSP now does). Now, I know some purists won't want to modify their ripped FLAC file in any way, you could keep two copies, one with no limiting and one with limiting. For me, having my played back music at a constant loudness trumps that concern. That is particularly true for the m4a copy I listen to in the car.

I've worked in this business for decades, and recorded and mastered a lot of live recordings myself. The vast majority of times, these peaks 18 or more dB above the average program level are small instantaneous spikes, totally inaudible, that can safely be limited without degrading the quality of the end product. Some of them may be artifacts of the digitization process. In pop music, many of them are momentary spikes from cymbal crashes or such. When I've mastered CD's, I've always chopped (soft limited) them off to make a reasonably loud playing CD, and believe me, I'm no supporter of the pop music "loudness wars". I've never had anyone comment/complain about what I've chopped off, and I get a lot of compliments abiut the quality of my live recordings.

Once in a great while such limiting may result in "pumping" where limiting a peak in one frequency band causes audible loudness "dips" in the rest of the spectrum. The solution when mastering is to use a "multi-band" limiter, but that is for use in an audio editing program, not a ripper.

The only music I can think of where automatic limiting may not be appropriate is wide dynamic range classical music and possibly some jazz.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Request for added features in Replay Gain DSP's

Would ticking "disable clip prevention" in the RG DSP resolve your issue? I recall that Spoon added this feature based on some similar discussions a while back.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

Well, then it might actually clip, which might well be audible as a click where the clip happens. A relatively "soft" limit would be inaudible, in almost all cases.

I actually have several professional editing programs the first of which can 1) do the equivalent of an "Apply Replay Gain" loudness normalization, even to a large bunch of files. This program is claimed to deal with metadata well, also, but no way to calculate the replay gain tag and just add limiting enough to allow it to work in the playback device without clipping. I have another editing program that has a very effective "declipper", but it operates on one file at a time, massacres metadata on all filetypes, and doesn't save to m4a, meaning another conversion after using it. In any event, since dBPoweramp doesn't log in a file the results of the replay gain program, I wouldn't know where to use the declipper.

Comment

• schmidj
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2013

Well, I have to eat crow a little bit. on the second item of my list, it does actually report the new LUFS, it was outside the display box, and I didn't scroll over to see it until tonight. Also, the true peak is listed, so the third item is also bogus. However, there seems to be no way to have this information automatically saved in the rip report file, so item one is still valid. Yes, I could copy and paste it, but its taking me far too long to rip my thousands of CD's as it is, I should be able to automatically save this.

Actually, I was just thinking, could there be, or maybe is there a "loudness" tag and could the DSP codec actually save the post processing loudness to such a tag. That would actually be a better solution than including it in the rip report.

And my request for a limiter is still valid.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

What would the "loudness" tag contain that is not already there (or determinable from) the ReplayGain Track & Album GAIN tags and the Track and Album Peak tags. Could these tag contents help you identify the items you'd want to locate after the fact?

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

Gary,

The replay gain codec doesn't write a tag (and currently there is no tag defined) with the actual loudness of the track (in LUFS) There is no way to determine this without actually processing the track (including any replay gain application) as is done in the DSP.

If the loudness was enough below -18 LUFS that the gain applied by Replay Gain would have pushed some peaks into clipping, (apparently it actually doesn't allow a peak above -1dBFS) the replay gain is set so the peak is, in fact, -1dBFS. There is no tag information, or anything else saved after the fact saying what the loudness actually ended up as, in this event. The report at the conclusion of the rip has this information, if the DSP was unable to fully apply replay gain, but it doesn't exist after you close the report.

Since adjusting replay gain to provide constant loudness in LUFS was added to the codec after its original release, it is possible this escaped attention. It is actually very valuable data, if you care about constant level playback.

In fact, in the long run. if/when playback devices become LUFS aware and capable of adjusting playback level for constant loudness, it would be appropriate to simply calculate and tag each track (or album of tracks) with the measured LUFS number for the track or album, and let the playback device calculate and apply the gain adjustment appropriate for that particular device; i.e. the playback device would set the target, not the encoding software. The playback device could also deal electronically with any potential for clipping, by possibly providing a software or hardware limiter. We aren't there yet in the consumer world, too much playback equipment doesn't even look at the replay gain tags.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Understand. and yes, I'm mostly happy when my devices can even use ReplayGain info properly (as so many can't). Luckily, my Squeezeboxes in my main system and foobar2000 in my computer playback all use RG album and track info in a useful way. Foobar2000 has a setting for applying the RG and "prevent clipping according to peak". Not sure exactly how it applies the limit to prevent clipping.

I suggest you post a suggestion for how the loudness info can be saved in the log and/or tag. The place Spoon captures such suggestions is in the "Wishlist" section of this forum. Your suggestion might make it into a future version.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by garym
                Understand. and yes, I'm mostly happy when my devices can even use ReplayGain info properly (as so many can't). Luckily, my Squeezeboxes in my main system and foobar2000 in my computer playback all use RG album and track info in a useful way. Foobar2000 has a setting for applying the RG and "prevent clipping according to peak". Not sure exactly how it applies the limit to prevent clipping.

I suggest you post a suggestion for how the loudness info can be saved in the log and/or tag. The place Spoon captures such suggestions is in the "Wishlist" section of this forum. Your suggestion might make it into a future version.
                OOPS. This is already in the wishlist. Nevermind.

Comment

Working...

]]>