title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Playing CD Rips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tara
    • Feb 2015

Playing CD Rips

I am in the process of buying a Naim Unitiqute and in preparation I have been ripping CDs in FLAC using dbpoweramp. I do not yet have a NAS but to test what I had ripped decided to play one ripped CD through my Win 7 PC and installed Asset. The rips would not play. I then installed Foobar, and the rips played beautifully but I can see no way of getting all the tracks to play one after the other, ie when one track has played I have to go back to the listing and click on the next one and so on. Is anybody able to explain why Asset would not work, and tell me I can play a complete CD with one click as it were?

I should be glad of some help.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Playing CD Rips

You are using Asset to send audio to foobar?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Tara
      • Feb 2015

No, I only installed Foobar when I could not get Asset to work.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Asset is a UPnP server, 1 component out of 3 you need (also needed Control Point and Renderer). It sounds like you are not in the need of a UPnP server, unless you have network players.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Tara
          I should be glad of some help.
          By way of background....Digital audio files are typically used (played) one of two basic ways:
          • A standalone playback device/player. This can take many forms.....be it a portable player (like an iPod), a car stereo system, a PC or Mac with a player program (like iTunes or foobar), a disc player, and so on. The point is, the files are loaded onto the device or are "locally" available to the device, such as the music files foobar is playing back on your computer.
          • A network music player. This is the setup Spoon was describing, and it's often called a streamer, or network streamer. The music files are stored somewhere on your network (like a NAS or computer), and then other devices on the network can find those files and play them. This can also take a variety of forms, but common approaches are network music systems like Sonos or Naim players, or the network streamers built into a lot of receivers, blu-ray players, and other A/V products these days.

dBpoweramp is not a player- it's just the ripping program used to create digital music files from your CDs. After that, you decide how you want to use those files, i.e., what programs/devices you'll be using for playback. Your question appears to be about playback, and that's entirely a function of the player you're using. Gary uses foobar extensively and will hopefully weigh in on your specific question, but generally, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the basic navigation and playback functions of any players you decide to use. In most of the players I have used, you'd typically select the whole album/folder or set of files and use some kind of "Play all" function.

(Asset didn't play your files because it's not a player....it's just server software for a network system.)

Comment

• Tara
            • Feb 2015

Thank you to both, I think my understanding is developing slowly.

I now understand why Asset did not work as I expected, but will presumably prove itself when I am using my Naim network music system and perhaps a NAS? I do not recognise the term 'renderer' - in my case will the Unitiqute be the renderer, or is this something different?

If Gary or Spoon is able to help with my Foobar query I shoild be grateful.

Thank you, again, for help so far.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Yes renderer is the player, the unitiqute is a player.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

regarding playing in foobar, you need to first understand the basic approach is that everything is "playlist" based. In general, there is an "active" playlist that your desired songs are in once selected. One can add entire albums (or more) to the active playlist and then play them in order (or random order if desired) without intervention. I'm not clear on how you're adding songs/albums to the active playlist.

Also, in foobar: preferences > playback, make sure you have NOT ticked "stop playback after the current track".

p.s. i don't use foobar as a upnp player. I use it only to play things on my computer with files attached to the computer via USB drive. For networked music players, I instead use various squeezebox networked music players that receive music from a central server on my home network.

edit: if you plan on using foobar2000 extensively, I highly recommend the "facets" component.

Comment

Working...

]]>