title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Red Hat linux 9

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Red Hat linux 9

well after having my first linux install "knoppix" completed and up and running it was time to move on and install Red Hat 9 :D

it was definatly a bit easier to install and my firewall status is alsmost stealth. just 2 ports wern't stealth but not sure why yet. but with knoppix i just couldn't get any easy way of making my internet connection secure. but red hat 9 did it easily.

well so far so good
  • RossRoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2003

Re: Red Hat linux 9

Knoppix hasn't been designed to run off a hard drive or even as a main OS.

Red Hat gets the hats off, they did a great job at easing most of the tasks.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2002

I've been using Linux for a couple of years now. I like Linux because of its simultaneous simplicity and complexity, how it's tailored to my needs (server and programming environment). Also the dd command.

On my second computer I have installed Debian 3, RedHat 9, and Windows XP.

Debian is what I use most of the time for that computer. I don't have X on it, and I mainly use it for acting as a server when I need files from it at school. Debian appeals to me most because of how flexible it is, how you can change everything from a few simple .conf files. It runs perfectly on a (relatively) small disk space, and comes installed with very few programs, a plus because you can easily find what you need. Any additional programs you want can be easily installed with apt-get, a really amazing concept in my opinion. Cons: Hardware is a nightmare to install. That's one of the reasons why KNOPPIX is so popular now, it runs on a really good platform and unless you have digital surround sound it can easily detect all of your hardware.

RedHat is overall a good OS, but I don't use it much. I used to, before I got Debian to recognize my network card, but when I need a GUI I just boot up Windows. Although X is coming along great, in my opinion in order for it to rival Windows it still needs some more time of developing. I used RedHat command line in camp a few years ago, and it didn't seem too bad.

I have Windows installed on that computer for one reason: KaZaA. Although Linux has plenty of decent p2p clients that log on to the Gnutella network, none of them measure up to the hundreds of millions of files available in the KaZaA network. I used to have Windows 98 SE installed, but when I wanted to reinstall the OS it wanted to automatically repartition the hard drive, which is definitely a no-no. I took the Windows XP cd from this computer and installed it on that one, but alas now I have to reinstall it every 30 days because of Microsoft's activation policy. Oh well.

Well there's my setup.

Originally posted by Razgo
      my firewall status is alsmost stealth. just 2 ports wern't stealth but not sure why yet. but with knoppix i just couldn't get any easy way of making my internet connection secure. but red hat 9 did it easily
      Personally, I dislike firewalls and virus scanners. They usually just get in the way most of the time. My router, which is basically a firewall too, by default blocks many of the ports I need to use (SSH, KaZaA forwarding, etc) and its a pain to reconfigure (always giving error messages for no reason). This computer automatically came with McAfee installed on it, and really doesn't do anything besides take up more time during startup, and give me 'Virus Alert' when pop-ups come up when I'm on then net.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

holly cows!! well your not shy on installing OS systems of all types, that's for sure!

having a cable connection to the internet means i really do need a firewall. there is just so much incoming traffic that it stops i would hate to run without one.

anyhow i am now looking at mandrake. the gossip is the latest 9.2 is pretty good. and i see a ton of support if you join the members club.

i can get hold of 9.0 7 cd set. but not sure how easy it is to upgrade. for some reason i can't even get apt-get to work on my red hat 9.0

i put it in at a terminal as root but it doesn't recognize the command.

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

well i ended up buying mandrake 9.2 3 cd set from everythinglinux.com.au for AU$10.00, so i should have it in a couple of days :D

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Nov 2002

for some reason i can't even get apt-get to work on my red hat 9.0

i put it in at a terminal as root but it doesn't recognize the command.
            simple answer: apt-get is a debian concept! ive only seen anything like it on very few OSs, but debian's implementation seems to be the best. what happens is that different software programmers submit their programs to be added to the apt system, and developers at debian evaluate them to make sure they don't have any malicious code in them. so many people do this that there are seven cds worth of programs availabe, so there's no need to download untrusted programs from the net, hence less viruses.

apt doesn't seem to be fully functioning on knoppix, maybe my cd's scratched, it keeps on complaining that a file is locked, going to have to check into that. if you can get it working, its a charm, being able to install programs onto a ramdisk is a really neat concept in my opinion.

i ended up buying mandrake 9.2 3 cd set from everythinglinux.com.au for AU$10.00, so i should have it in a couple of days
            ive never spent money on linux cds, my cable connection is pretty fast so i just ftp the .iso's. i remember downloading mandrake about a year or two ago, although i don't remember how it was.

Comment

• MetalMan
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets
              simple answer: apt-get is a debian concept! ive only seen anything like it on very few OSs, but debian's implementation seems to be the best.
              Take a look at FreeBSD sometime. The build processes is very nice as it will go fetch everything for a package and compile it on the fly.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

i have revisisted and testing my red hat linux9 but still have some problems.

i will search on the linux forums.

for some reason when trying to execute a rpm package it starts/loads then dissapears and nothing happens. i was trying to install firebird rpm and Sylpheed email client rpm.

it always seems to be some complication when trying to install something. and i gave kde desktop away becasue it seemed to casue problems also. so i am using the gnome desktop at the moment.

anyhow back to the drawing board.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

well i finally got firebird installed.

su
                  rpm -Uvh mozilla-firebird-0.7-0.dag.rh90.i386.rpm

that did the trick :D

just have to figure out how to get "libgpgme.so.6" installed so i can get this syphleed email client working.

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

woohoo! another success!!

once i understood that the letters .so is like looking for a .dll file then it all made sense.

i have renewed faith again in my everlasting attempt to use linux as a desktop alternative.

Comment

• Razgo
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

well the only dissapointing thing i found in linux so far is they don't seem to have a good email client as good as the bat! for windows.

syphleed comes sought of close but it doesn't seem to get any better than that. i would have thought an email client that is well featured to cater for over 100,000 emails per year would be availible for linux.

i guess i will have to wait for ritlabs to make a linux version of their bat email client.

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

update: i now have Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS :D . it is avail;ible for half price so i thought why not.

and so far so good. it even passed www.grc.com security check all in stealth mode. accept my system accepted an incomming ping. i don't know how to make a ping drop yet.

Comment

• Joseph
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2002

Speaking of Firewalls and Os's. Microsoft is doing some interesting things for XP SP2.

here are some screenshots

They did a complete overhaul of XP's built-in firewall. :smile2:

Here is an interesting feature. It tells Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) to block all outside sources from connecting to your computer. Made for use when using wireless internet at hotels, resturants, and airports ect.

Block Incoming Traffic Pic
                          Last edited by Joseph; 01-06-2004, 10:10 AM. Reason: Took out "reason for editing" comment :)

Comment

• Razgo
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

i forgot to mention i have decided to keep using sylpheed - claws. which i think is a fork of sylpheed? anyhow it is proving to be a good email client.

isn't xp going to be dropped and the new OS will be longhorn? that will be two generations of windows OS i have missed out on. i think i will always keep win98se and run my linux mainly. that is until dap becomes linux too :D . then my needs for windows will deminish rapidly.

Comment

Working...

]]>