title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Debian Asset Album question(problem?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lg.lindstrom
    • Aug 2010

Debian Asset Album question(problem?)

Hi

A couple of days ago I installed Asset on a Debian machine. Followed the install instruction without any problems.

I have a small music library, just for test purposes.

I noticed that when I listed my "Albums" it shows far to many items (I have 15 Albums, it listed 28).
    A closer examination told me that Titles with different Artists was combined into separate Albums.

I am not quite sure if this is a configuration problems? ... or?

Using other DLNA servers on the same library,,,, gives correct result.
    I am using BubbleUPnp control point.

//regards
    //lg
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Debian Asset Album question(problem?)

Albums with different Artists need to be tagged as Various Artist albums.

For these albums, either:

1. Set the Compilation tag to 1
    2. Set the Album Artist tag to 'Various Artists'
    3. Both of the above

Personally, I do option 3.
    Last edited by mville; 07-13-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• lg.lindstrom
      • Aug 2010

Ok.
      Are there a special reson for that.??
      Squeezebox server and minimserver doesent seem to have this "function"?

I just found another "issue". I added a new album to my library. It shows up under "new albums" but not under "all albums". Strange.

/lg

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lg.lindstrom
        To display albums, music servers (and music players) use different combinations of tags to achieve this.

I guess Asset uses different tags to Squeezebox etc. to organise the Album list. In my opinion, Assets approach seems very logical.

... as a footnote to this, for all Albums (not just compilations), I recommend always using the Album Artist tag as well as the Artist tag
        Last edited by mville; 07-13-2014, 03:48 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Ok.
          Squeezebox server and minimserver doesent seem to have this "function"?

I just found another "issue". I added a new album to my library. It shows up under "new albums" but not under "all albums". Strange.

/lg
          actually squeezeboxes do have this function. The difference is that LMS (squeezebox server) will automatically treat an album with differing track artists as a COMPILATION.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Asset is more advanced when it comes to albums, however your tags need to be correct. On other media servers, you will find all the tracks grouped together in a single 'Greatest Hits' album, even though you could have 5 such albums which are distinct.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by garym
              actually squeezeboxes do have this function. The difference is that LMS (squeezebox server) will automatically treat an album with differing track artists as a COMPILATION.
              I should add, LMS will do this *unless* one has added an ALBUM ARTIST tag. Then the album will not show up under COMPILATIONS or VARIOUS ARTISTS unless one also has added the COMPILATION tag with a value of "1". p.s. LMS also handles the "Greatest Hits" problem as well, and like ASSET does not show Greatest Hits of different artists as if they are a single album.

Comment

• lg.lindstrom
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mville
                To display albums, music servers (and music players) use different combinations of tags to achieve this.

I guess Asset uses different tags to Squeezebox etc. to organise the Album list. In my opinion, Assets approach seems very logical.

... as a footnote to this, for all Albums (not just compilations), I recommend always using the Album Artist tag as well as the Artist tag

Hi.
                I am using Album Artist as my "main" tag. What I mean,, Artist contains all artist that have participated on a track,, and Album Artist are the artist who have "publiced" the album.
                For me it seems like the tag syntax are define,, not the semantics.

/lg

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

I am using Album Artist as my "main" tag. What I mean,, Artist contains all artist that have participated on a track,, and Album Artist are the artist who have "publiced" the album.
                  Yes, exactly what I do.

... and for various artists albums I set the Album Artist tag to 'Various Artists' and the Compilation tag to '1', which should fix any album display issues in most music servers/players.

Comment

Working...

]]>