title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trouble converting a file (I know what caused the problem, but not the solution)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zao
    • May 2014

Trouble converting a file (I know what caused the problem, but not the solution)

Hi. I use Winamp to listen to my music, and at the time was using a plugin called "ID3 Tray Rate". This plugin allows you to simply edit the rating of an audio file, stored in the ID tag/Metadata. It hasn't caused me any problems before. But with this one specific file, it caused it to not work with Winamp or Windows Media Player. It will play with VLC though.

I also am not able to convert the file with dbpoweramp. Whenever I try, I just get this message:
    "Error converting to Wave, Error RIFF chunk unknown 'ID3' [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]"

I have stopped using that plugin, and the file in question is Wave format. I have tried editing the tags with dbpoweramp. But it says that the file has no ID tags. I can't add any either, apparently.

Any ideas what has happened to the file, and how I might fix it? I was hoping that dbpoweramp might somehow be able to reset the ID tags or something. I'm guessing they're the problem.

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Trouble converting a file (I know what caused the problem, but not the solution)

Please email one such file:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
      • May 2014

Re: Trouble converting a file (I know what caused the problem, but not the solution)

Originally posted by Spoon

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm
      "The following email address is provided for non-support enquiries only (any registration questions, use the email address below), support questions should be directed to the Forum"

Comment

• Zao
        • May 2014

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm
        "The following email address is provided for non-support enquiries only (any registration questions, use the email address below), support questions should be directed to the Forum"

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It is ok, we are expecting your email.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
            • May 2014

It is ok, we are expecting your email.
            Ok, cool haha

Comment

• Zao
              • May 2014

Sorry to double post. But I have sent the email. And just to add to the info here - I don't seem to be able to add the "Album Artist" tag to my wave files. I've been trying it on various wave files I have (ones that have never been affected by the ID Tag plugin I mentioned). Not sure why. It works with other file formats like FLAC (which I normally use). I have tried installing the WavPack and Wave64 codecs just for the sake of trying them. But they didn't help.

Any ideas?

Maybe I'll try reinstalling dbpoweramp in a bit. I'll let you know if it helps. Thanks

Comment

• schmidj
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2013

Regarding the "Album Artist" issue with .wav files, I had the same problem a few months ago, and Spoon had the reason and solution. Here is a link to the forum thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ndows-Explorer His solution solved my issues.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

This issue is this program has simply written an ID3 chunk to the start of a wave file, this corrupts the file because wave is chunk based.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by schmidj
                    Regarding the "Album Artist" issue with .wav files, I had the same problem a few months ago, and Spoon had the reason and solution. Here is a link to the forum thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ndows-Explorer His solution solved my issues.
                    So I have to convert the wav files from LIST to id3? I already have the id tag update installed. But I don't know how to convert the files to id3 format. Can you help with that? Thanks!

This issue is this program has simply written an ID3 chunk to the start of a wave file, this corrupts the file because wave is chunk based.
                    Is this in reference to my original question? If so - is it beyond repair? Thanks!

Comment

• Zao
                      • May 2014

Looks like the reply I wrote earlier didn't post :(

@schmidj - The solution was to convert from LIST to id3? Could someone explain how to do that please? Thanks!

@Spoon - Is that in reference to my original post? If so, is the file recoverable? Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp cannot recover this file.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>