title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

hydrogenaudio has gone offline

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

hydrogenaudio has gone offline

it should be interesting to see what changes are going to be made.

• Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: hydrogenaudio has gone offline

It could be said I had a hand in that :(

Basically a guy comes on, and asks he is a long term Winamp user and he is interested in what players are out there, what advantages / features they have. Well incase no one knows Foobar2K is hosted on HA, so basically things got nasty when he said he did not want to try Foobar because it had not been released (ie version 1.0), infact one of the moderators called him a troll and closed the thread.

I took exception to that and suggested the moderator should appologise, to cut a long story short - I posted a 'I am Stepping Back' from HA message - my intention to leave it.

So here is me thinking, lets create an Audio Sense forum, where it is perfectly ok to talk about players of ALL kinds, somewhere where free speech reigns the day. Still have that forum license?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

i never posted in that forum because of the way the staff were there. and i was surpised to see you had no warnings under your name .

but yeh it's not a very compfortable place to talk about audio software where as it should be.

and i think what you would like to do will have good potential and would allow us all the freedom of speech on audio software without having to step on anyones toes.

i mean you did a great job at RIO World too by hosting that one.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

is "Audio Sense" the site name you would like? as it is available with a hyphen in it.

Comment

• Razgo
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

well have you bought the domain yet?
          can we post yet?
          is it there yet?

hehe :D :D

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

No hyphens, any ideas for a name. These are the goals of the site:

First and foremost elitism should not be tollerated, I don't whan to 'dis HA, it had some great rules about having to backup posts such as 'Ogg is better than AAC' with evidence. People not hip with the audio scene, should have sections they can feel at ease with and post even apparently stupid questions. HA always had a missing codec - WMA, just because the chief guy didn't like Microsoft, or what MS stands for.

The site should encorage large scale ABX audio tests, to find the qualities of codecs.

I hope that the authors of the various programs can be encouraged to post on the forums, the forum will not be allied to one program (like HA distorted Foobar), things will be 100% transparent with no hidden agendas.

Just a few of my ideas.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

if you want to remove the thread all together i will understand.

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

i don't think they had a list of audio software and discussions did they?

i also would like to see :

1. Head Gear
                discissions on all headphone type equipment...

2. Home Music Systems
                discussions on home systems...

3. Sound Mixing
                discussions on the art of mixing...

4. Home Music Systems
                discussions on home systems...

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

No need, www.audiosense.org has been registered and will come online in the next few days.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

sounds good Spoon. just drop me an email with the FTP details when it's ready and i will install the forum. you want it in the main?? or in it's own folder like www.audiosense.org/forum

you might want the main page for what it's all about?

Comment

• RossRoy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2003

This is actually a great idea! I had just recently discovered HA a few weeks ago, but felt litterally afraid to post there after reading some of their replies seeing as I am not technical about codecs and stuff. And that's not taking into account the fact that Foobar is so NOT user friendly. I basically couldn't get it to do much actually. Anyways great idea you too!

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

actually i had an interesting experience when i went into irc chat today on HA chat channel and someone indentified me and asked me if i was lying about my web site. because i have a "back online soon" on the site. the site died a long time ago and didn't realize anyone went there anymore. but he said he would check every day for any updates.

so it just goes to show someone always remembers something!

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
                          It could be said I had a hand in that :(

Basically a guy comes on, and asks he is a long term Winamp user and he is interested in what players are out there, what advantages / features they have. Well incase no one knows Foobar2K is hosted on HA, so basically things got nasty when he said he did not want to try Foobar because it had not been released (ie version 1.0), infact one of the moderators called him a troll and closed the thread.

I took exception to that and suggested the moderator should appologise, to cut a long story short - I posted a 'I am Stepping Back' from HA message - my intention to leave it.

So here is me thinking, lets create an Audio Sense forum, where it is perfectly ok to talk about players of ALL kinds, somewhere where free speech reigns the day. Still have that forum license?
                          They are obnoxious. Unlike you Spoon, I have no problem using foul language when someone thinks they've earned my respect when they have not. You offer a top notch service to the world with your free dmc converter program and it does earn my respect. I'm probably banned from HA after my last post, but I really don't care.

Your forums were created after my last major updates to my site. When I get a chance I'll link to your forums. I know my site is sending you hundreds of visits a month from newbies not familiar with audio. Newbies who might be willing to buy the added applications you offer to make the free stuff even better.

I suspect HA's downtime might have been related to a techtv story about alternate audio formats.
                          My site had an all time high on hits right after they put a link to HA, your site and my site.

My over the top arrogance mixed with helpful information and links has definitely helped educate average people into learning more. My interest in lossless audio inspired me to collect links and information when few others were doing it. Hopefully it has helped a lot of people get the most out of both their computer and their time. Nothing is more rewarding than hearing a new computer user saying "you saved me hours of looking for a tool to do what I wanted to do". That is time and energy which can be spent with loved ones, making life better, and just plain making the world better.

There are people in the world only concerned about taking, and there are people that understand the importance of giving and sharing. If I had a hat, it would be hat's off too you.

Sorry if I don't register... the stalkers are always looking for crumbs...

Mti

Comment

Working...

]]>