title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auldyin
    • May 2013

Newbie Questions

Hi,
    I'm very new to dBpowerAMP so please bear with me...............
    I have about 25,000 tracks (a mixture of MP3 and Mp4), and they are tagged to my satisfaction.

However, some are Replaygained and some are not. In any event, I would appreciate advice on the following:

1. How do I set up dBpowerAMP to, replaygain the tracks to 93dB (avoiding clipping where possible) and what is the EBU R128 equivalent to 93dB?
    I am assuming that the two file types will be Replaygained separately(?)

2. There are a significant number of tracks with extended periods of silence and I would like that to be standardised such that there are, say 2 seconds of silence between tracks.

Many thanks!
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Newbie Questions

I think -18 lufs would be something like 93db. That's what I use (because I also use foobar2000 for doing RG values, and its RG function now uses EBU R128 and a default value of -18. (This is so that tracks RG'd under the new R128 are similar in volume to those RG'd under the old RG method. edit: and if you're about to RG a bunch of things using the dbpa RG DSP and R128, I'd wait a bit until the bug gets corrected that is giving an Album RG value equal to the largest track RG value.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

And friendly suggestion: Always use a descriptive Subject Line. You'll get better responses. "Newbie Questions" or "help, I have a problem" is not very informative. In your case I would have used a subject line such as "Question about ReplayGain values and R128". Then I'd create a separate thread for the modification to the silence with the subject line "Removing silence from tracks". by the way, there is some sort of DSP in dbpa for removing silence. I've never used it.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

There is the trim silence DSP Effects, but it requires the audio to be reencoded, which is not that good for lossy formats.

Replaygain can be applied using the utility codec to just tag the value to the file, without reencoding (see the utility section in 'Codec Central').
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• auldyin
          • May 2013

Thanks Gary.

I am missing something.................
          eg. I have an MP3 file which I need to replaygain, remove silence from or whatever but don't know how to use dBpowerAMP to bring about these changes. That is the crux of the problem

Comment

• auldyin
            • May 2013

Thanks Spoon, we are now heading in the right direction!

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by auldyin
              Thanks Gary.

I am missing something.................
              eg. I have an MP3 file which I need to replaygain, remove silence from or whatever but don't know how to use dBpowerAMP to bring about these changes. That is the crux of the problem
              As Spoon noted, install the RG DSP, select the files in dbpa batch converter, then "convert to" the ReplayGain DSP. (I think that currently, this only uses the old RG method and doesn't allow the possibility of the R128 method--only options are selecting adding album gain, which you want to do by the way) Edit: There is a beta RG DSP for this:
              The purpose of this utility codec is to calculate and ID Tag ReplayGain values to already existing audio tracks (ie select existing files in Explorer >> Right Click >> Convert To >> [Replay Gain]). ReplayGain IDTags contain volume adjustment information which a player can use to alter the volume of a track to
              Last edited by garym; 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>