title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is there a way of extracting track number

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • remixray
    • Feb 2013

Is there a way of extracting track number

Hi Everyone

I`ve just brought DBpoweramp after using it for a few days.
    I have decided to re rip all of my CD`s into uncompressed flac and compared to MP3 they sound excellent, but I noticed that the tracks were not playing in the album order - I`ve now fixed this, but have done a lot of albums before I realised. is there a way of fixing these or will i either have to re rip or do it manualy

Love db poweramp...the rips sound really good

Cheers

Ray
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Is there a way of extracting track number

Are the track numbers in either the track tag or in the file name.

Comment

• remixray
      • Feb 2013

HI Garym

Thanks for getting back.
      The tracks numbers are not shown in the file name when I open the folder in explorer, I assume that they are in the tag info. When I hovver the mouse over the track name, the track number is there.

I have subsequently added <track> and they are now ripping properly. This is the second time I have ripped my CD collection and its quite a large collection , so I want to get it right this time.

Not really bothered with the greatest hits albums - but would be nice to have original albums playing in te correct order so any help would be appreciated.

But overall...very happy with DB poweramp - its uncomplicated and fast ! ( like me )

Thanks

Ray

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

What do you mean by "open" in Explorer? File name, or properties? Microsoft is too damn stubborn to admit that FLAC is an audio format, so you won't see tags for FLAC in Explorer the way you see them for MP3.

Apart from that, I suggest MP3Tag. Free.

And ... you would likely not use FLAC Uncompressed. FLAC is a lossless codec, so no matter whether you use -0, -8 and Uncompressed (which hardly any even offer, dBpoweramp is quite unique in that), you get stored the same signal. Likely, the only reasonable use for the Uncompressed option is that it encodes extremely fast. (Decoding speed could even be faster on -8, actually.)

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

What are you playing these files in? Seems like you may be using a player that relies on file names rather than the metadata tags.

Comment

• remixray
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by garym
            What are you playing these files in? Seems like you may be using a player that relies on file names rather than the metadata tags.
            Hi

I am using squeezebox server and the its linked by ethernet to a squeezebox classic
            the Cds I ripped with the [track] are fine and show up in windows explorer as 01 track artist
            and play on the correct album order.

the ones I ripped without the[track] show in windows explorer as track artist and play in the file order

The metadata tages were downloaded via db power amp so I assume the info is there.

Cheers for all of your help

Ray

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I use squeezeboxes too. I have some simple fixes for you but will wait until I'm home tomorrow and have more than an iPhone to type on.

Comment

• remixray
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by garym
                I use squeezeboxes too. I have some simple fixes for you but will wait until I'm home tomorrow and have more than an iPhone to type on.
                Hi Garym

Look forward to it.

Ray

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Logitech Media Server (LMS) uses the metadata in the tags for feeding Squeezeboxes so things *should* be showing up properly in track order. There is only one exception and that is if you use "Browse Music Folder" option within LMS to browse your music files. In that case, you are NOT using the tags and rather will get track order based on how the FILE NAMES are listed. If there is no track number at the beginning of the file name, then the tracks will be listed in alphabetical order. LMS is optimized for use of tags (and NOT browse music folder), so if possible you should browse using the ARTIST or ALBUM menu items within LMS.

This said, if you want to modify the filenames of the previously ripped files to contain the track * at the beginning, this is easy to do. I can't actually find a way to do this with dbpa. (I see a way to modify tags from filename but not a way to modify filename from tag....I'm sure someone can followup if I'm missing anything). But in the meantime, you can install the free program mp3tag (and mp3tag deals with FLAC, etc., not just mp3 files).

Download Mp3tag, a powerful and easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of audio files

1. Load up all the files that don't have track * in file name.
                  2. Select them all
                  3. From top level menu, select CONVERT > Tag - Filename
                  4. Here the syntax for the "format string" depends on what you want the filename to look like. In my case, I like my filename to be "track * with two digits - track name". So I'd use:

$num(%track%,2) - %title%

So if I have a Beatles album that is in a subdirectory: c:\music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\tracks...., it would rename the individual track files as:

01 - Come Together.flac
                  02 - Something.flac
                  ...etc.

If I wanted some other info in the filename itself, it is just a matter of adding it. If I used:

$num(%track%,2)-%title% - %artist%

the filename would be:

01 - Come Together - The Beatles.flac

But this seems a waste in my case as the files are already in a Beatles subdirectory and an the Abbey Road subdirectory under that. I only use the artist name in the file name for my Compilation CDs. And this is done automatically with my naming convention in dbpa. I use the following:
                  Code:
                  [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][artist]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]
                  This automatically takes care of how I deal with regular CDs, Compilation CDs and multiple disk CDs at the time of ripping. That is, for compilations, they don't end up in a ARTIST subdirectory. Instead, they end up in a COMPILATIONS subdirectory with separate album name subdirectories underneath. And for multidisk CDs, they end up in Disk1, Disk2, etc. subdirectories under the album name.

Again, someone may be able to point out the exact way to do this with dbpa. Also, you should obviously try this on a few tracks just to get comfortable with how it works. Once comfortable, you can load up all the files that don't have track * at beginning of file and select them in one large batch and do the above to change file name. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

• remixray
                    • Feb 2013

Hi Garym

You are right...when I use Squeezebox.. all is as It should be doh !
                    The files are just me being picky, I will use the method you mentioned and I will change the ones that need changing

Many many thanks for taking the time to help with a detailed reply

Cheers

Ray

Comment

• bobbyhayse
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks for discus about to extracting track number. This post is really helpful for me.

Comment

• cindrella
                        • Apr 2013

Comment

• Wayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Aug 2002

The dBpoweramp "arrange audio" codec can be used to update the file name etc. based on the tag information.

Comment

Working...

]]>