title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Losing wav forced semi-colon format for multiple artists when editing wav "tags"

Losing wav forced semi-colon format for multiple artists when editing wav "tags"

Question:
    I am exclusively wav files (no desire to change so please don't suggest FLAC as a fix).

When I rip a CD with multiple artists on a single track, I have used the ID3 Tag Processing DSP to force the semi-colon on single line....and this works fine.

However, if I later edit any of the tags related to that specific wav file, my wav tag gets messed up and my music player (MusicBee or WMP) no longer reads the forced semi-colon that was originally written by DBPA.

Is this behavior impossible to avoid because I am working with wav files or is there a way to get the DBPA tag editor to preserve the forced semi-colon as originally written so that the music players continue to read the ARTIST tag as 2 separate artists?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DBPA ROCKS!; 01-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Losing wav forced semi-colon format for multiple artists when editing wav "tags"

After edit you would have to convert to the [id tag update] utility codec with the option set to put back as ;

Re: Losing wav forced semi-colon format for multiple artists when editing wav "tags"

Thanks for the response....based upon your advice, I right click the problem wav file, select CONVERT TO.....I have the DSP ID3 Processing codec in place with the FORCE TO SEMI-COLON "ARTIST 1; ARTIST 2" option checked just like when I ripped the file........and I click CONVERT.

I cab see the tags were updated based upon my Windows folder view of the file...but my music players then do not recognize any of the tags after the conversion.

There seems to be a couple of potential problems:
    1. When I complete the conversion, the message I get from the finished conversion is:
    Information converting to Wave, 'C:\Users\HP\Music\Zac Brown Band\Uncaged\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 08 Overnight.wav' to 'C:\Users\HP\Music\Zac Brown Band\Uncaged\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 08 Overnight.wav'
    Warning 'RiffSizeLeft != FileSizeLeft' must be extra data on end of file. [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]

2. Also, when I review the tag pop up in my folder view, I see the tags still showing on the file but whereas the original ripped file had "Album Art, CD TOC, ID Tag [LIST and ID3]" tags, my newly converted file indicates tags of "Album Art, CD TOC, ID Tag [ID3]"....the LIST tags are not indicated.

So without being an expert here, I can see that it appears the ID3 Tag updated to the end of the file which I presume is a problem and also there are no longer any LIST tags which I assume may be a problem.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Administrator

>Warning 'RiffSizeLeft != FileSizeLeft' must be extra data on end of file. [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]

It is possible that some program has edited the wave files and there are small issues with the wave file (it could be an extra byte present).

RE 2 - you must have disabled the List tag writing for Wave in the dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced

LIST is a limited tag type, ID3 is a better tag type but not all reads it.

I go directly from DBPowerAmp Ripper to the Windows folder to review and do any needed edits using EDIT ID-TAG and still get this behavior so I don't know how any other program would be altering the tags. I have also tried the same procedure with a trial version download of Tag & Rename to see if it did the same thing and Tag & Rename worked fine.

AFAIK, I have not altered my advanced codec settings. Below is a screenshot of my current advanced codec wav tag settings. Do you see anything wrong with my settings?

I really love DBPA but I really need to be able to solve this problem. Thanks.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this with the debugger to create a txt file to see what DBPA converter is doing when I try to convert the file?...or any way to check it?
    Using Tag & Rename, I was indeed able to tell that it appears DBPA ID3 Tag updates the multiple artist tag back to a "/" as the artist divider vs. the previously forced semi-colon.
    Based upon seeing this, I understand why you say I must convert the file back to the semi-colon format but am not sure why DBPA converter will not appropriately write the updated tags in the converted file.

Thank you!

I'm sorry....I don't know what that means.

dBpoweramp Guru

In dBpoweramp configuration >> music converter is a debug option you can enable, prior to converting, after a debug log is shown.

So I ripped a wav file, made no alterations of any kind, did not open the file with any program, then converted it to another wav file.
    I do not get the prior error message, HOWEVER, it appears the converted file still loses the LIST tags.

Here are the tags shown after the initial rip but before conversion:

And here are the tags shown for the converted file (notice no longer has LIST tags?):

MusicBee then treats the converted file as unknown artist, unknown album, etc....possibly because there are no LIST tags for MusicBee to read? (Please let me know if I am wrong about any of this as I am not a programmer or coder).

I still have my advanced codec set to create both ID3 & LIST tags as shown above in my prior post.

So my question is what is happening to the LIST tags when I convert the file?

I did click the debug box before the conversion and here is a link for the txt file if my copy/paste below does not work: http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2d7i0...BUG_SCRIPT.txt

Here is the copy/paste of the debug result:

Splitting Command Line:Done
    ->-> [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    <-<- [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    Decodes [clDecoder::Get]
    BatchID [clDecoder::Set]
    ->-> [cldBCodecHandler::LoadEncoder]
    Loading Encoder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\Wave.DLL'
    <-<- [cldBCodecHandler::LoadEncoder]
    BatchID [clEncoder::Set]
    ->-> [dBCoreConverter::StripCoreConverterCmds]
    <-<- [dBCoreConverter::StripCoreConverterCmds]
    SendRawUnCompressed [clEncoder::Get]
    IsLive [clDSP::Get]
    SendOverReplayGainTags [clDSP::Get]
    BatchID [clDSP::Set]
    Communicate [clDecoder::Get]
    Communicate [clEncoder::Get]
    NeedHQAudio [clEncoder::Get]
    ->-> [clDecoder::Open]
    Opening file 'C:\Users\HP\Music\Zac Brown Band\Uncaged\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav' for read access: Opened
    Reading Audio Information
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::Initialize]
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::Initialize]
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::Initialize]
    clRIFFHandler::CalcAllChunks: Ok
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::Initialize]
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]
    RIFF Header 'RIFF' Length: 32233176 FormType 'WAVE'
    Got Chunk 'fmt ' Length: 16 RiffSizeLeft: 32233164 ChunkPosition: 12
    Got Chunk 'data' Length: 32102448 RiffSizeLeft: 32233140 ChunkPosition: 36
    Got Chunk 'LIST' Length: 270 RiffSizeLeft: 130684 ChunkPosition: 32102492
    Got Chunk 'id3 ' Length: 130406 RiffSizeLeft: 130406 ChunkPosition: 32102770
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]
    Read Audio Information
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::ReadIDTags]
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::PullOutFMTnDATA]
    Finding 'fmt ' chunk.
    Finding 'data' chunk.
    Assigning 'fmt ' chunk to WFX
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::PullOutFMTnDATA]
    ->-> [clRIFFLISTChunk::InitFrom]
    Found Correct INFO ID, decoding LIST chunk:
    <-<- [clRIFFLISTChunk::InitFrom]
    28 ID Tags:
    AccurateRipDiscID: 011-00119520-009a301f-9a0a5e0b-1
    AccurateRipResult: AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 4) [5555B920]
    Album: Uncaged
    Album Artist: Zac Brown Band
    Album Artist Sort: Brown, Zac, Band
    Artist: Zac Brown Band
    Artist Sort: Brown, Zac Band
    Catalog *: Southern Ground/ 530
    CDDB Disc ID: 9a0a5e0b
    Composer: Jason Mraz; Zac Brown; Wyatt Durrette
    Disc: 1/1
    Encoded by: Dbpoweramp Release 14.3
    Encoder: Wave
    Encoder Settings: -Compression="pcm"
    Genre: Country
    Label: Atlantic
    Length: 181986
    Rating: 7
    Source: Cd (Lossless)
    Style: Contemporary Country
    Title: Jump Right In
    Track: 1
    Year: 2012
    _albumart_1_Front Album Cover: DATA Length: 129554 ......JFIF.....`.`..
    _cdtoc: DATA Length: 100 .b................5Q
    _riff_1: DATA Length: 4 fmt
    _riff_2: DATA Length: 4 data
    _riff_3: DATA Length: 130410 id3 ID3.....z\TIT1..
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::ReadIDTags]
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::FillAudioProps]
    Audio Quality: CD (Lossless)
    Encoder Settings: PCM
    Wave Header: Wave Format PCM
    Channel Mapping: Left, Right
    Sample Count: 8,025,612
    Riff Chunks: 'fmt ' 16 bytes, 'data' 30.62 MB, 'LIST' 270 bytes, 'id3 ' 128 KB
    ID Tag: LIST & ID3
    Contains: Album Art, CD TOC, ID Tag [LIST & ID3]
    Gapless: Yes
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::FillAudioProps]
    Writing Audio Information
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::FillAudioInfo]
    Audio Length: 181986 mili-seconds 32102448 bytes 1411 kbps
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::FillAudioInfo]
    Written Audio Information
    Preparing to Decode
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::PrepareToDecodeAudio]
    Calling ACMDecoder.CreateNewConverter
    Compressed WFX (on file): Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
    Uncompressed WFX (sent to db): Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
    Setting Position in File
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::PrepareToDecodeAudio]
    Prepared Decoding
    <-<- [clDecoder::Open]
    SendOverReplayGainTags [clEncoder::Get]
    ->-> [clDSP::BeginConversion]
    <-<- [clDSP::BeginConversion]
    ->-> [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Converting to 'C:\Users\HP\Desktop\CONVERTER TEST\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav' encoder settings ' -compression="PCM"'
    Wave output WaveFormat: Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::InitializeNewWAV]
    ->-> Adding Chunk 'fmt ' Length: 16 [clRIFFHandler::AddChunk]
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::AddChunk]
    ->-> Adding Chunk 'data' Length: 0 [clRIFFHandler::AddChunk]
    ->-> Adding Chunk 'id3 ' Length: 130406 [clRIFFHandler::AddChunk]
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::WriteChunkHeaders]
    Writing Chunk Header 'fmt ' Length: 16 ChunkPosition: 12 ChunkDataPos: 20
    Writing Chunk Header 'data' Length: 0 ChunkPosition: 36 ChunkDataPos: 44
    <-<- Exit as only write to data chunk [clRIFFHandler::WriteChunkHeaders]
    Writing Chunk Data 'fmt ' Length: 16 ChunkPosition: 12 ChunkDataPos: 20
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::InitializeNewWAV]
    <-<- [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Encoding To: Wave
    Encoder Cmd Line: -compression="PCM"
    DSP Effects:
    ID Tag Processing: -case="0" -exportart="(none)" -importart="(none)" -maxart="(any)" -nomultiart

============= CONVERSION BEGIN =============
    ============= CONVERSION END =============
    ->-> [dBCoreConverter::CloseDecoder]
    ->-> [clDecoder::Close]
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::Close]
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::Close]
    <-<- [clDecoder::Close]
    ->-> [clDSP::EndConversion]
    <-<- [clDSP::EndConversion]
    ->-> [clEncoder::EndConversion]
    Writing Chunk Header 'data' Length: 32102448 ChunkPosition: 36 ChunkDataPos: 44
    Writing Chunk Header 'id3 ' Length: 130406 ChunkPosition: 32102492 ChunkDataPos: 32102500
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::WriteChunkHeaders]
    Writing Chunk Data 'id3 ' Length: 130406 ChunkPosition: 32102492 ChunkDataPos: 32102500
    <-<- [clEncoder::EndConversion]
    File Size Check : 32232906 bytes Filename: C:\Users\HP\Desktop\CONVERTER TEST\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav
    File Size Check (before ID Tags Written): 32232906 bytes Filename: C:\Users\HP\Desktop\CONVERTER TEST\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav
    ->-> [dBCoreConverter::IDTagWriter]
    Decodes [clDecoder::Get]
    IDTags [clDecoder::Set]
    ->-> [clWaveDecoder::WriteIDTags]
    ->-> [clRIFFBEXTChunk::TagsToBEXT]
    Encoding BEXT chunk [clRIFFBEXTChunk::TagsToBEXT]
    <-<- [clRIFFBEXTChunk::TagsToBEXT]
    Opening file 'C:\Users\HP\Desktop\CONVERTER TEST\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav' for write access: Opened
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::Initialize]
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::Initialize]
    ->-> [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]
    RIFF Header 'RIFF' Length: 32232898 FormType 'WAVE'
    Got Chunk 'fmt ' Length: 16 RiffSizeLeft: 32232886 ChunkPosition: 12
    Got Chunk 'data' Length: 32102448 RiffSizeLeft: 32232862 ChunkPosition: 36
    Got Chunk 'id3 ' Length: 130406 RiffSizeLeft: 130406 ChunkPosition: 32102492
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::ScanFile]
    Writing Chunk Header 'id3 ' Length: 130406 ChunkPosition: 32102492 ChunkDataPos: 32102500
    <-<- [clRIFFHandler::WriteChunkHeaders]
    <-<- [clWaveDecoder::WriteIDTags]
    <-<- [dBCoreConverter::IDTagWriter]
    ->-> [clDSP::AfterConversion]
    <-<- [clDSP::AfterConversion]
    Conversion completed in 218 mili-seconds x834 realtime encoding
    File Size Check (core converter exit): 32232906 bytes Filename: C:\Users\HP\Desktop\CONVERTER TEST\Zac Brown Band Uncaged 01 Jump Right In.wav

From this info, can you tell if there is something I need to change in my settings or is there a problem with my DBPowerAmp?
    Thank you!

dBpoweramp Guru

It is as though cd ripper and the converter are configured differently, ie running under different accounts.

Do you have the wave64 codec installed?

If not try making the account dBpoweramp runs under an administrator account.

Update:

So when I try to convert Wave to Wave, I get the problem behavior shown above where the tags do not carry over and the riff size left etc error message.
    I tried running as admin as well and detected no change in the behavior.

HOWEVER, if I convert using ONLY the Wave to ID Tag Update, then the conversion works. (I can copy/paste debug log if needed).

2 questions:
    1) The converter works when converting Wave to ID TAG UPDATE in the convert to drop down box, but the converter loses the tags when converting Wave to Wave in the drop down box. Is this a bug or any ideas?

2) I have noticed that DBPA uses the ID Tag Processing plug in to force the semi-colon on multiple artists for the ARTIST tag and ALBUM ARTIST TAG, but DBPA does not force the semi-colon on the corresponding SORT ARTIST or SORT ALBUM ARTIST tags which means these tags are still written with the artists' names written as one combined artist. I would assume that if someone needs to force the semi-colon in the first place for the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags, then they also need the SORT tags to be written that way as well. Would it be possible to update DBPA to handle this, even if only done as a secondary check box option with the force semi-colon plug in to "also force SORT semi-colon on SORT tags"? (Let me know if this 2nd item needs to be a separate post).

Administrator

Possible bug noted (wave >> wave)