title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WASAPI + UPnP(DLNA): low sound quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rumblebox
    • Nov 2012

WASAPI + UPnP(DLNA): low sound quality

Hi,

I'm using Asset UPnP V4.1 to grab the audio out of my laptop and to stream it to my sound system and it works! However, the sound quality is bad, since there is almost no bass. In contrast, if I play a mp3 file via the same UPnP server the quality is perfect. Changing the audio stream format of WASAPI from 'as is' to 'mp3' or 'wav' had no effect on the low bass issue. I think the source of this problem is the WASAPI. Is it possible to change it's settings? Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Thanks in advance!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WASAPI + UPnP(DLNA): low sound quality

The sound is captured as is, there are no settings.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Rabye
      • Jan 2013

@rumblebox, yes I confirm this behaviour.
      @spoon, how do you explain the bad sound quality ?
      If I capture the sound with another software, like wifi2hifi for example, I have no such problem.
      Can you explain how the sound is captured ? What can we do to have a better quality ?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You should set the capture options to match the source:

right click on Windows Speaker >> recording devices >> properties >> advanced >> default capture
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• newbiew
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
          You should set the capture options to match the source:

right click on Windows Speaker >> recording devices >> properties >> advanced >> default capture
          Hi Spoon I am a new user and a novice experiencing the same poor sound quality noted in this old thread when streaming PC Sound Capture [WASAPI] via DLNA to a Cambridge StreamMagic 6. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and can't track down the above settings. Can you please point me in the right direction? Apologies if this is something very basic. I also have WASAPI set to stream "as is" in Asset which I presume is correct.

Thanks for your help

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

I do not think it is possible to stream to the Cambridge with WASAPI, because they constantly close the stream, then reopen when need more data (if the poor quality is breaks in the sound every few seconds).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• newbiew
              • Nov 2014

There are no breaks in the sound - it is just very thin and lacking bass and breadth of sound frequencies. I'm keen to try your suggested Windows Speaker settings above if I can track them down. Any other thoughts on the Windows or sound card side that may influence it?
              Thanks
              Last edited by newbiew; 11-18-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

You have set WASAPI to stream as lossless wav on the advanced settings page?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• newbiew
                  • Nov 2014

I've tried that and no sound comes through with a message "End of Queue". I can only get it to come through as MP3 (when set to "as is" or MP3). I'm streaming via ethernet. Might try direct connection via usb to see if that makes any difference (although that means having my computer close to my renderer.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...

]]>