title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Goodbye ZIP!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RossRoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2003

Goodbye ZIP!

I think PKWare has gone insane.

They have released a new version of the ZIP compression algorithm that is NOT compatible with any other version of ZIP decompression software. So all the WinZIP, Stuff-It, Aladdin, and any other you can think off, won't be able to decompress new ZIP files. Talk about a GIANT leap backwards!

ZIP being the most used compression software on the net, I wonder why they decided to do that? They will most probably kill the format altogether.

Here is a link to the article. (sorry, it's in french)

So, what do you all think of that move?
  • BestRip
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2002

An absolutely BRILLIANT!!! move...

Maybe some of the execs in the company noticed they have too few gazillion dollars in their bank accounts... and are experiencing a sensation of panic spreading...
    I think however that ZIP may very well outlive the company on this current course.

Comment

• Joseph
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2002

maybe it should have the extension "SZIP" for "SecureZip" to avoid confusion.

Comment

• ToolNut
        • Jan 2003

Re: Goodbye ZIP!

This whole deal about the new zip files doesnt effect me...I use WinAce v2.5 I dunno i think its a better program than win zip

Comment

• RossRoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2003

Re: Goodbye ZIP!

I personally prefer RAR, gives much better compression over Zip and it's got so many more options, mainly, splitting archive WITHOUT having to archive to a removable drive directly! (Ok, it may have changed on the Zip front for that, but last time I used Zip, it didn't have this option.)

Comment

Working...

]]>