title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

HDCD dsp, meaning you can rip SACD at 24bits, or not?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EZETEC
    • Nov 2012

HDCD dsp, meaning you can rip SACD at 24bits, or not?

I'm new to the ripping business.

DBPA was recommended to me by LINN when i was visiting a audio show.
    1) When I saw the HDCD dsp, I was pleasantly surprised that i could finally rip my private SACD collection. But i get indications this is not true. HDCD is not equivalent to SACD. Even when HDCD is activated I get 16bit rip from my SACD (flac lossless uncompressed) . But actually I think DBPA is using the 16bit part from a Hybrid SACD. When I insert SACD only disc, nothing happens with DBPA, it won't read the high definition audio.
    Am i doing something wrong here ? not using a proper CD/DVD drive ?

sorry if this question pops up again in this forum, but with the latest version purchased i though things maybe would have changed regarding SACD.

If i hold a cd in my hands how will i know that i will get a native 24bit rip from it. how can i recognize based on a label or else ?

2ndly) how do i see when running DBPA that it is actually a registered version?

rgrds
    Guy
  • Arnold_Layne
    • Nov 2009

Re: HDCD dsp, meaning you can rip SACD at 24bits, or not?

HDCD is not SACD. The SACD layer cannot be ripped on a computer drive. You can only rip the CD layer of an SACD.

A_L

Comment

• Tom Swaman
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2011

Oh well, here is a comment from the blind. I do rip GDCD using a Plextor drive and a Windows 7 computer without problems or apparent impairment of recorded sound quality. Unfortunately, my ears do not count bits so I do not know how many bits are the result. I have trouble learning and understanding DPBPA, but I do love the results I achieve and the apparent stability of my music files.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• EZETEC
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Arnold_Layne
        HDCD is not SACD. The SACD layer cannot be ripped on a computer drive. You can only rip the CD layer of an SACD.

A_L
        Thanks for the info. Is there no other way to get my SACD's on hard drive in SACD resolution? I'm planning to transfer all my music collection onto Apple mac mini and play over high end DAC (i.e. WADIA 121 or similar) based on Amarra or Audirvana.

/ezetec

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Only a hacked PS3 can rip SACDs.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>