title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Identifying where the problem is on an insecure rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skypilotpete
    • May 2009

Identifying where the problem is on an insecure rip

I rip quite a few library audiobook CDs. The sound quality is not nearly as important as it is with music - the main thing is that the ripped files can be understood and no words are missing. A few pops and clicks don't matter. I have set my secure rip settings at a maximum of 10 retrys for individual bad frames and a track abort after 3 minutes, so that ripping a well-used CD does not take forever. My intention is then to check the tracks that end up labelled "insecure" to see how bad they really are. So far, whenever I have done this, I haven't been able to hear any problems at all, except for a few tiny clicks in gaps between words.

Can anyone tell me if there is any easy way to identify where the bad frames are in the insecure tracks? Sometimes there are just too many to listen to in real time. I have tried opening them in Total Recorder and looking at the sound image in the editing window, to see if anything unusual stands out, but so far this hasn't enabled me to find anything problematic (other than the above mentioned tiny clicks). Perhaps that's because all the errors so far have been minor. Perhaps major problems would indeed leap out at me, but I would appreciate some advice as to whether there is a better way to do this checking.

Also, is there any rule of thumb that would say how many frames need to be re-ripped before problems become so serious as to result in words not being able to be understood?

I am running Windows 7 64, dBpoweramp 14.2 Reference
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Identifying where the problem is on an insecure rip

When an error is encountered most CD Drives interpolate, that is it silences that area, this interpolation can be a few samples long, or half a second long. Such silences are hard to spot...
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

If you use secure settings and full logging, then the log file should tell you where the re-reading is done. Example line (with C2):
      Re-rip Frame: 26222 (00:00:47,053) matched 10 / 14 (c2 dropped 17)
      Here you see the position of the re-ripped frame.

If the track aborts and you re-read in burst mode, on the other hand ...

Comment

• skypilotpete
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Porcus
        If you use secure settings and full logging, then the log file should tell you where the re-reading is done. Example line (with C2):
        Re-rip Frame: 26222 (00:00:47,053) matched 10 / 14 (c2 dropped 17)
        Here you see the position of the re-ripped frame.
        Thanks - that's very helpful.

Comment

Working...

]]>