title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

AccurateRIP - Can it be fooled?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamslides
    • May 2012

AccurateRIP - Can it be fooled?

I'm wondering how AccurateRIP gets it's database? Does this happen automatically whenever users burn CD's? Where's it come from? Also why would it know the difference between something that was burned lossy vs lossless? I can't see how it would work, therefore how can it know something is accurate?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: AccurateRIP - Can it be fooled?

Automatically when people rip their cds in EAC or dBpoweramp.

Only lossless data can be checked, lossy (mp3, aac), audio data is thrown away when compressing so you cannot check for errors.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: AccurateRIP - Can it be fooled?

Edit: this is definitely the wrong subforum.

Not 'burn', but whenever users *rip* CDs (with dBpoweramp or EAC, which (still?) are the only applications that submit). As of now, you cannot submit files.

AccurateRip cannot tell a stamped (purchased) CD from something you burned, but if you try to 'fool' AccurateRip by converting to lossy, converting back to WAVE, burning a CD, ripping it and submitting it, then only those who would try the same thing will get a positive score. It won't fool someone who bought the CD, it will only add noise to the database.

Your AccurateRip reports can in principle be fooled by consistent errors. It has happened that some CD drives have reversed left and right channel. If you have one such, and someone has ripped the same CD with such a drive and submitted to the database, well, then yours will verify as 'Accurate' despite being wrong.
      (I don't know if Spoon could identify those and purge their submissions from the database later.)

Comment

Working...

]]>