title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert wav to save space

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Convert wav to save space

I am really new at this, but you don't learn if you don't ask. How do I make my wav files smaller? I used the dBpowerAmp music converter to turn my music into wav files, but the size is still to huge to send to my friends in emails.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

They were mp3 files before?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Unregistered

please, all I want to know is how to make a few 1000kb file into a file thats just a few 100kb

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Spoon
        They were mp3 files before?
        yes they were mp3s that i've downloaded

Comment

• Unregistered

Nevermind. Somebody told me what attributes I needed. Thanks anyways.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Convert wav to save space

Everyone who I've seen who converted their MP3s to these small WAV files ended up with very low quality files that did not sound good. They sounded even worse to me after converting them back so they could be burned to audio files. No one on the file sharing networks would allow them to d/l MP3s from them after they heard their WAV files. I'd say buyer beware unless you care nothing about the quality of your music.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Nevermind. Somebody told me what attributes I needed. Thanks anyways.
              An mp3 file is already compressed a lot compared to the original wav file.
              Typical mp3 files are at 128 kbps, 44.1 Khz stere and they occupy about 1MB for each minute of audio, so on the average they may be about 3-4 MB, whereas the original wav file would have been 30-40MB.

You can further compress them by reducing the bit rate to 64kbps and that will halve the file size again. or down to 32kbps for another halving fo the size. Of course the quality goes down proportionately.

A better quality is achieved by encoding to the wma format. The mp3 file at 128kbps is pretty much equivalent to a wma file at 64kbps in audio quality. Except the wma file is half the size of the mp3 file. wma at 32kbps CBR is still usually good enough, depending on needs. Read this thread for a good way to use wma http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5230 .

You've got to remember that most email inboxes are limited to 2-4 MB sizes, plus they restrict the attachment size further. In cases like this sending an mp3 by email will pretty much be impossible. You may consider getting an email account from Yahoo where they have just expanded the space to 100MB.

Comment

• G_G
                • Sep 2006

Hi,
                As you can likely see, I'm new around here but would love for someone to possibly solve a slight problem which has presented itself since my last computer crash.

Possibly helpful info;
                I'm running Windows 98 SE
                My Computer is not nearly as fast as most new ones.
                Reinstalled my (registered) DBPowerAmp from a file on second HD.
                Had been in the habit of converting MP3 files to Wav files smaller than 780KB (as that is all Google Groups will allow). All was going just fine but, after the reinstall, I find no matter what settings I use (including those I used to use) ...
                End result files are Always Over 2 MB ...
                What am I doing wrong Please?

Settings I used before;
                12,000Hz
                18Kbs
                kbps (can't recall 'correct' settings for the kbps section but it Feels Like I've tried everything !).

When converting the Goo Goo Dolls track 'Iris'
                I get an end result of
                " 3,6000 kb " :thumbdown
                when what I'm looking to get is around " 750 kb "

I Must be doing Something Wrong ....? :confused:

Can Anyone Advise me Please?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

See:

A. You need to install a mp3 ACM codec to replace it: Download Lame.mp3 encoder here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/lameACM.zip unzip it right click the mouse on the file 'lameACM' .inf or 'Setup Information' and select 'Install', now reboot the computer and the option to create Mp3 files should now be present on
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• G_G
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks for the reply Spoon but the files I'm starting out with are measly 5-7 MB is size ... I used to be able to convert at the drop of a hat but can't seem to find the right settings.

Have looked all arounf these great 'suport' pages and can't find a clue as what to do ... hence my plea in this post.

Could you perhaps recommend settings that would covert say a 6MB MP3 file to a 750kb Wav file (as a rough approximation anyway)?

Would be most grateful :komisch9: if you could do that for me, then I'd know for sure where, if anywhere, I was going wrong.

G_G
                    Last edited by G_G; 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

You would have to select Wave compression (as the Lame mp3), choose a low bit rate.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

The thing is with audio files just stating the file size is not sufficient. You have to state the bitrate, duration, channels.

You will get a proportionally smaller file size if you reduce the bitrate and/or the channels. No other way really.

Comment

• G_G
                          • Sep 2006

Hi
                          and thanks for all the great responses.

Lame MP3 and low bit rates applied and make Not one jot of difference that's why I feel DBPowerAmp has been corrupted in some way.
                          Like I said before (?),
                          I'd been in the habit of converting average MP3 files (of around 4.5/5 MB) to Wav file of around 740/760 kb and posting to group/s for simply ages before that last computer crash of ours.
                          Now, using the Same (stereo) Settings as before ...
                          getting 2.MB+ and not 750kb !

Looks like I'll have to think of using another software, as it looks like, since reinstalling DBPowerAmp (registered) after the crash, something about the new settings in our Windows ( 98 SE ) doesn't comply with DBPowerAmp settings?

Thanks for all the help

GG

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

If you are using a wave ACM codec then it would not matter which program you use as it is ACM codec at fault.

Saying that R12 of dbpoweramp can create a compressed mp3 by passing ACM, try it from the beta section of this forum.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by G_G
                              Hi
                              and thanks for all the great responses.

Lame MP3 and low bit rates applied and make Not one jot of difference that's why I feel DBPowerAmp has been corrupted in some way.
                              Like I said before (?),
                              I'd been in the habit of converting average MP3 files (of around 4.5/5 MB) to Wav file of around 740/760 kb and posting to group/s for simply ages before that last computer crash of ours.
                              Now, using the Same (stereo) Settings as before ...
                              getting 2.MB+ and not 750kb !

Looks like I'll have to think of using another software, as it looks like, since reinstalling DBPowerAmp (registered) after the crash, something about the new settings in our Windows ( 98 SE ) doesn't comply with DBPowerAmp settings?

Thanks for all the help

GG
                              Windows 98 requires an extra bit of software to be installed: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Windows95-Update.htm

Comment

Working...

]]>