title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Asset -- Configurable Rating Scale

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Selzhanik
    • Jul 2011

Asset -- Configurable Rating Scale

I continue to really love Asset, but I have yet to find a decent solution for setting my ratings. The best thing I've found thus far is MediaMonkey, running on my Win7 PC and pointed at my WHS 2011 music server (running Asset), but MM's rating scale is 0-100, where 0 is unknown, 100 is 5 stars, and increments of 10 for every half-star (i.e. 3.5 stars = 70). iTunes seems to want star ratings similar to that (0 to 100 scale). Windows' built-in rating scale seems to be 0-100. Other software I've read about uses 0-100, but non-linear steps in between. So, at least for now, I'm using MediaMonkey, effectively setting my ratings from 10 to 100, then using Mp3tag (with custom actions I wrote) to re-scale my ratings back to 0.5-5, and then playing them in Asset using the dynamic playlists.

The problem is that I have to convert back to the 0-100 scale (again using Mp3tag) before managing the ratings, then convert back to the 0-5 scale before utilizing the ratings in Asset. The problem quickly grows to unacceptable levels when introducing my wife to the ability to configure ratings.

This seems to be easily solved by implementing a rating configuration option in Asset. At a minimum level, this could simply be a single configuration value in Asset's advanced settings listing, such as "5-Star Rating Value: xxx", where xxx could be set to 100, resulting in 81-100 for 5-star, 61-80 for 4-star, 41-60 for 3-star, and so on. At best, this could be 6 configuration values: 5-Star Rating, 4-Star Rating, 3-Star Rating, 2-Star Rating, 1-Star Rating, Not Rated Rating.

I understand there's no "standard" rating scale, and 0-5 matches dBpoweramp ripper, but being able to configure the rating scale in Asset would be a ***huge*** help. Any chance for this in the v4 release, Spoon?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Asset -- Configurable Rating Scale

There are no standards between applications when it comes to ratings, unless it is defined by the tagging format (such as for mp3 id3v2 or WMA tags).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>