title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

improved tag processing when converting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggles
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2010

improved tag processing when converting

I'd like better capabilities to transform and create tags when converting, mainly so I can avoid lots of manual tag edits after converting FLAC files to mp3 files.

In my FLAC files, I have a track number of a song in an album in a tag called TRACKNUMBER, and the total number of tracks of an album in a field called TOTALTRACKS. Similarly, I also have FLAC tags called DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS.

I'd like to convert this information when I convert a FLAC to an mp3 file, such that the the ID3v2.3 frame of TRCK contains TRACKNUMBER/TOTALTRACKS (for example, "2/13"), and the ID3v2.3 frame of TPOS contains DISCNUMBER/TOTALDISCS.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: improved tag processing when converting

This should happen automatically.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• biggles
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2010

I thought my rips using dbpoweramp over a year ago would do this automatically, but since it's not happening with 14.2, I thought I was mistaken.

I have not changed any defaults in the codec advanced options configuration and I don't use the ID tag processing DSP when converting - should I, and if so, what should I change? thanks

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Check with dBpoweramp right click on mp3 >> edit ID Tag, if TOTALTRACKS was not recognized it would appear as TOTALTRACKS in the mp3 ( as a custom tag), but they should be recognized.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• biggles
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jul 2010

I found out what is going on. I recently switched from using TOTALTRACKS to TRACKTOTAL and from TOTALDISCS to DISCTOTAL to gain FLAC tag compatibility with other applications.

When I change back to TOTALTRACKS and TOTALDISCS, I see the desired behavior. But since I need TRACKTOTAL and DISCTOTAL, is there a way to change the DMC's mapping via user selection? I will just trade one massive manual effort for another if I can't. If there is not a way currently, then this is a major wishlist item for me. Maintaining tag compatibility across other applications and with dbpoweramp without lots of manual efforts is rather frustrating. thanks

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Try using the DSP effect ID Tag Processing and map the tag values.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• biggles
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2010

No joy. As a result of many attempts, it appears that frames TPOS and TRCK read their standard source tags and lock in their frame value before the ID Tag Processing DSP during conversion from flac to mp3, such that mapping from xxxTOTAL to TOTALxxx during a conversion has no effect on TPOS and TRCK, which defeats the purpose of the tag mapping portion for my purposes. The manipulation portion of ID Tag Processing DSP cannot seem to handle redoing TPOS and TRCK as I need it, so that doesn't work either. And running a separate tag conversion step using the ID Tag Update utility codec either before or after my flac to mp3 conversion defeats my desire to not be forced to do this in two separate steps.

Do I understand any of that incorrectly? If not, then I'd like or need the ability for mappings to occur before ID3 frame values are determined during a conversion, or that tag manipulations gian the ability to do what I need to redo the frame value during a flac to mp3 conversion. thanks
              Last edited by biggles; 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• twit
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2010

aha! This explains my screwed up tags. +1 on the recommendations in the last paragraph in the post above this.

Comment

Working...

]]>